• Violet Evergarden Review (Netflix Anime)

james-mcgill updated 1 month ago 1 Member · 1 Post
  • james-mcgill

November 4, 2021 at 1:20 am
    I’m not a reviewer.  Most of the time when people ask if there is something I would recommend, I end up telling the whole story of a movie or book.  Then I realized I’ve ruined it for them.  I’ve gotten better, but not much.  However, I just finished watching the Violet Evergarden series on Netflix and I want as many people to see it as possible.  I really, really enjoyed it.  Which is strange considering the fact that it made me cry and I really don’t like stories that make me cry.  
    So I am going to try and describe this series without ruining it in this post.  In the next one, I am giving the whole story away.
    Before I begin, I feel I should mention that the animation and art style of this series is incredible.  The story is what keeps me coming back.  But if you like steampunk and period dramas, this series will appeal to you.  Please note, the only steampunk that is displayed is with Violet herself.  Violet Evergarden takes place in an alternate world.  It’s very similar to ours in the late 1800 or early 1900s. Architecture, the technology and weaponry all come from that time period.  But when you see Violet, you’ll understand why I say steampunk. 
    The series starts after a world war has ended and it’s about a young woman (as all anime protagonists are always between 13 and 18).  The Young woman was a soldier in the army but that is just the basics of what she was.  She was so much more than that.
    The first few episodes go over who she is and why she is the way she is.  She discovers that being in the world is much different than being in the military.  The struggles she goes through, internally, in the first few episodes does a very good job in showing her Mental state and how she must figure out how to function without the military.  Please note: I say the military but it’s actually more specific, but I don’t want to spoil things if I can avoid it. 
    The other thing she has to figure out is how to feel.  I mention this because it’s mentioned in all the previews.  The guiding light on this is her quest to understand three words. “I Love You”.  To do this, she gets a position at the mail company she is working for as an “Auto Memory Doll”.  Basically, it’s this world’s version of a secretary for anyone to use, but they are so much more than that.  A large majority of people don’t know how to read and write or just don’t trust themselves enough to put their feelings into words in letters.  Auto Memory Dolls are hired to write letters for them.  
    Every episode and movie, mostly, is about someone who wants to communicate with someone they love.  The series focuses on the people she writes the letters for that helps her the most in her quest to understand those three words.  
    I want to go into more but then this would be filled with spoilers.  I’ll post that review soon.  But if you are looking for something that will inspire you, make you cry, and feel all your feelings when you don’t want too sometimes. Please, go watch Violet Evergarden, Violet Evergarden Special, Violet Evergarden Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll, and finally Violet Evergarden the movie.  In that order as that is the timeline of the series.  I promise, you will enjoy it.  
    Come back after you’ve seen it in the next week, I’ll have the spoiler review next.  Also, if you have any recommendations that might be similar, let me know.  I’m always looking for something to get my brain working. 

Viewing 1 of 1 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now