• Time Inn Idea

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    April 27, 2021 at 6:57 am
    make icon 108 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

It’s been a long time since I’ve written a prose-fiction story, but @thesurrealari @redheadeded and <a class=’bp-suggestions-mention’ href=’https://create.comicbookschool.com/members/gdawkins2/’ rel=’nofollow’>@george-dawkins-ii inspired me to give it a try.

Science Fiction Story

Tentative Title: An Extended Stay at the Time Inn

An immortal human commits to witness the end of the universe, so he creates a space capsule designed to float in space for billions of years. He tells the story as a first-person narrative about how he came to this mission, how he built his space capsule (called “The Time Inn”), and what it’s like to be immortal.

• thesurrealari

May 4, 2021 at 7:00 am
    make icon 59 Forum Points

I like this idea. I’m sure you’re planning to start the story In media res. At what point would you start the story?

• Ted

May 22, 2021 at 7:41 am
      make icon 17 Forum Points

This might lend itself to starting at the end and working backwards structure.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    May 4, 2021 at 7:58 am

Thanks, <a class=’bp-suggestions-mention’ href=’https://create.comicbookschool.com/members/thesurrealari/’ rel=’nofollow’>@thesurrealari – I am planning to pick it up approximately 1 million years in the future, as he sits alone in his space capsule.

He floats in high orbit, long after we have abandoned Earth for intergalactic space travel. He is basically a willing prisoner in the Time Inn, where he has long outlasted his need to eat or drink. All of his media and comforts have long since disintegrated. Now he just has to wait and be patient for the completion of his personal mission.

I think I may change his personal mission to be something like “until the end of life in our galaxy,” so he has an end.

• jojabarker

May 5, 2021 at 10:32 am
    make icon 66 Forum Points

Huzzah! Up my alley because this has so many different head-space avenues it can explore.

I recall the film Gravity. Would that be something you’d explore, the stress of being alone for so long?

Also, I’d be curious how this human became immortal, what motivated them to take on such a feat, etc.?!

Overall, I’m hooked so gotta be patient to see where you take this. Kirbyspeed, my friend! ~Joel

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    May 5, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Thanks, <a class=’bp-suggestions-mention’ href=’https://create.comicbookschool.com/members/jojabarker/’ rel=’nofollow’>@jojabarker . Yes, it does have a Gravity feel to it. I didn’t realize it until you mentioned it.

Yes, it’s certainly about the extreme lonliness of being the one person who is capable of living forever, and then what you do with that gift or burden. Like, what would you do if you had committed to a grand goal like this and were only halfway through?

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now