Just saw this.

Utterly heartbreaking.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    June 18, 2022 at 6:54 pm
    make icon Makes 8
    make icon 97 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Very sad about Tim Sale. He was a master storyteller. With Jeph Loeb, they produced one of the Batman masterworks. The Long Halloween was a brilliant, collaborative masterpiece.

• philipspace

June 18, 2022 at 8:59 pm
      make icon Makes 7
      make icon 74 Forum Points

I first became aware of his work with the Deathblow series back in the 90’s, but he definitely came into his own as a storyteller and artist. The Long Halloween is a master class in mood and storytelling.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
        June 18, 2022 at 9:13 pm
        make icon Makes 8
        make icon 97 Forum Points

Wow, Deathblow. I don’t remember Sale working on that at all. I remember Deathblow coming out. I didn’t really enjoy it.

Have you read Deathblow in recent years? Does it hold up?

• philipspace

June 19, 2022 at 1:32 pm
          make icon Makes 7
          make icon 74 Forum Points

I remembered him for the longest time as the artist who took over for Jim Lee, but I don’t have any of the issues in my collection. A lot of those early Image titles are a different experience these days though– not necessarily bad, just… different than what we see these days. As he continued to work on other books he was definitely able to differentiate himself as an artist and storyteller apart from so many of those other early Image artists.

If you ever made it over to the Pike Place Market comic store in Seattle, they would occasionally talk about Tim Sale coming in as a young man to read comics there with obvious affection. Unfortunately I never got to meet him myself.

66 is awfully young to pass away these days. What a tragedy.