Forums Forums 8-Page Challenge #2 8-Page Challenge #2 > Step 3 > Flash Fiction There Are No Ghosts Here, Only Memories by A. A. Rubin

• There Are No Ghosts Here, Only Memories by A. A. Rubin

• jojabarker

June 5, 2021 at 11:02 am
    make icon 66 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

My thumbnail(s) + chicken-scratch notes give first one mysterious jumble of Hector The Collector’s junk for the ages; while the other, may have spoiled the twist of @thesurrealari‘s story.

I mentioned on his rough draft post that I was kinda aiming to provide my interpretation to what happened to the chambermaid’s son. If it’s supposed to be TRULY mysterious, then I’ll reconsider…but again I’d like to show the chambermaid grieving her memory (HECK I could even shoehorn a speech balloon?!)

Again, ideas uh-racing my friends ~Kirbyspeed

• thesurrealari

June 7, 2021 at 1:06 am
    make icon 59 Forum Points

@jojabarker I love the second illustration concept. The idea and the framing are perfect.

For the first, I think you’re going for a collage of all the time periods. I think that could work, but I wouldn’t worry about hitting every single one, especially if that creates more work.

If it’s easier for you, you could focus on a single scene, one of the time period rooms that you want to draw, or something with the locket?

If the ambiguity of the story is still bothering you, a locket with the son in military uniform, for example, with “In Memoriam” could answer that question without tying you to a specific date or time period.

I do like the collage idea too, if you’d rather go with that.

• jojabarker

June 9, 2021 at 7:43 am
    make icon 66 Forum Points

@thesurrealari Thank you, my friend!

I’m pleased to find that the first is getting close (though still unsure if having a skyline — New York pre 9/11, for example — in the window might be too persuasive on an exact time, and place???)

For the second, I definitely started to feel the hang-ups on hitting every time period.

I reworked the sketch and found I’m holding onto the collage — on shag carpet (don’t know why, just wanna to try some New Yorker esque details/design) — but now “love letters”, the locket/dog-tags, etc.

Then an after-thought happened, I thought about including the phone of the time period that the chambermaid is calling on(?)!

*…oh, also about the “love letters” I even considered other languages on different types of “paper” e.g. napkin(s), parchment, papyrus, etc.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now