MemberFebruary 23, 2021 at 9:40 am18 Forum Points
The idea here is its a sci-fi setting, a city enclosed within a dome. There aren’t really any major crimes or disturbances in the city because … unsaid reasons … but there are still police. Very bored police. They oversee small issues, and when someone dies of natural causes they review it to make sure everythign is ok, and make sure the body gets picked up by bio recycling. In fact, life inside the dome is very boring for everyone because it is a constant recycling of the same material (both literally and figuratively).
This is all well and good, except the Hero of the story has been getting increasingly dissatisfied with the flatness of life in this place. That is until, one day, upon reviewing the body of a hobo who died of natural causes he becomes convinced that the dead man is not in fact the person the chip in his arm reports him to be. More precisely, he looks like the man, but there are small differences between his city file and what the Hero finds when inspecting the body — missing scars, things out of place in a strange wa, etcy.
He finally has a case, and he finds more examples in past cases. He becomes convinced that there are … somehow … doppelgangers of the sealed city’s residents. Except, its technically impossible. Cloning doesn’t work and no one can get in or out of the city. His partner thinks he’s crazy and … predictably … his captain tells him to stop worrying about problems that don’t exist. It’s impossible.
Of course, he doesn’t let it go, and in his investigations trails all of the different doppelgangers he thinks he’s located all back to one place: The Time-Out Hotel.
The first thing that’s strange is that a hotel even exists in a place with no travelers. Its a relic from a previous age that the city retained after it became sealed off from the rest of … whatever. But on surveiling it (without permission), the Hero observes people go in and stay for short periods — sometimes just a few hours. He sees flashing lights in the windows. And he sees apparently the same people come out. But he knows there is something going on related to the doppelgangers. He just needs to prove it.
He’s found he thing that will make his dreary life not so dreary. He’s found something that can make him actually excited to get up in the morning. His partner thinks he’s wrong, but in the end … (redacted)
ModeratorFebruary 23, 2021 at 9:47 pm
So I have a LOT of questions.. but this is a great start. 🙂
1. Why is the city in a dome? Even if you don’t tell the reader I hope you know the answer, because it will influence your story.
2. How big a city are we talking about? a couple thousand people? a million? are we thinking Toyko, Japan (13.5 million people?) or Buford, Georiga (14,900 people)?
3. Why is there no crime? I mean people are people; from theft to murder, you can still have bored cops in a place that has shoplifters? or is this a utopian city that is just un-realistic?
4. Who is the main character? an old cop jaded and bored or a younger cop easily disatified with his new job ready to jump on the first interesting thing?
5. You said the hotel is a relic of past needs in the city was the city not always in a dome?
6. I’m interested in what you mean by ‘bio-recycleing” what is that why is it important to the story?
Also you are not the first.. but why do people keep changing the prompt from “Time Inn”, to “Time OUT… hotel/motel/etc. .. really? just curious.
I’m interested to hear how you will resolve the mystery. or at least how this will end. It reminds me of several of my favorite sci-fi related shows recently so I can’t wait to see how your version of this idea works. Looking forward to it. 😉
D Alley, the Redheadeded.
ModeratorMarch 2, 2021 at 9:13 am
When you get a second could you please fill out the form at the bottom of this page so we have all your info on file https://www.comicbookschool.com/creative-prompt-8-pg-challenge-2/