Forums Forums Crypto & NFT Forums NFT & Crypto Class – Students Only Some folk just want to watch the world burn

• vince

May 5, 2022 at 1:55 pm
    make icon Makes 0
    make icon 24 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

@mikedoestheart LOL!!!

I LOVE this article! Why?: Because the subtext gripping is BRILLIANT.. NFT art on its own is NO different from the innocuous & non committal posting us poor artists have been faced with for centuries… We do art, we promote, we cross our fingers, ears, eyes, other parts.., and hope that the emotional, or intellectual ENJOYMENT of said art translates into attention, value for the BUYER, and that business model is what sustains us. Now in 2022, there is a Pacific & Atlantic & Indian Ocean sized market for every ‘artist’ to tout their wares… the ROI plummets, even on good stuff, why? because: CHOICE. A LOT of choice. Choice in anything good by itself doesn’t always work for everyone. By that rational, all the ‘good’ art out there, should magically get bought and those artists should be sitting pretty. Not so. The NFT market dump and bitch session from this awesome (grumpy Clint Eastwood sneer on his front porch in Gran Tornino scene) article simply is shooting down that if you magically create a collection of NFT sparkly unicorns, the world will rush to your financial bitcoin aid, and support your sorry ass. Nope. Maybe for a few, in the beginning, but if its tanked at 92% of the content, there is a REASON. Lack of UTILITY. Real world utility, making art, that connects to things in the real world that MATTER. That can be at a high noble level, like a collection of NFT art that depicts the ravages of climate change. The Colarado River is drying up, badly. California WILL be screwed, wtf will happen? – An NFT collection, that ties in unlock-able content with donation revenue % percentage that goes towards EPA initiatives and studies on how to conserve water sources, some of that crypto$ goes towards the EPA, as a donation, and since its U.S. public money, the buyer of the NFT, also gets a income tax credit for the amount of the donation. That is what utility SHOULD be doing.. this is the POWER of Web. 3.0 – not arbitrary silly images that we all know don’t move us in some fundamental way. I ponder this with my art, the second I wake up, lmao. We all do, on some level. I have faith in where this can (and should go), lots of things are in flux and the connection of empowering art for purposes beyond its own visual expression alone, is where we can tie in NFTs to some kickass utility. End Rant.

• mikedoestheart

Administrator
    May 5, 2022 at 2:41 pm
    make icon Makes 6
    make icon 114 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: member icon Forum Scion

Agree with EVERYTHING you said – very poignant. It’s just the thought of arguing this back to people who discredit artwork cause they can get a free jpeg of it.. it still took SKILL and TIME to create – amazing technology just allowed an entitled human to procure it for virtually nothing.

‘Utility’ is what makes NFT something that isn’t leaving any time soon. And they’re arguing over apes and get-rich-quick schemes. Le sigh.

• vince

May 5, 2022 at 6:24 pm
      make icon Makes 0
      make icon 24 Forum Points
      CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

@mikedoestheart – Totally,

I am eagerly awaiting and researching web 3.0 studio types to help make whatever arty thing I produce, be a PART of something bigger and worthy.

I think we all have had that exhausting feeling of pushing some comic, or singular piece of comic type art, only to break even on sales, or less.. and be left with a fundamental fiscal question of: “how can I make art and get paid” – the enormous market place of NFTs certainly makes the JOB of marketing said NFTs more than the actual production of the art! So… all a deeper question of choosing battles, and honestly cornering some sort of a market that is worthy of all that effort. When I was 21 I would run head long into a wall, to knock it over. Now, I just go around. 😉