Forums Forums Main Forum Share your art!

• Share your art!

Posted by philipspace on November 11, 2021 at 8:03 pm

This seems like it should have its own section. Understanding that most of us are connected on facebook or Instagram or twitter or what-have-you, I feel like we should take the time to keep posting new stuff here as well, as a means of cross-promotion.

eldios replied 7 months, 3 weeks ago 8 Members · 66 Replies
  • 66 Replies
  • philipspace

November 11, 2021 at 8:06 pm
    make icon Makes 7
    make icon 74 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Woke up at 2:30am and started drawing this. Just kept going with it. I added a film-grain texture in overlay to give it a bit of life.

• philipspace

November 28, 2021 at 3:29 am
    make icon Makes 7
  • buddyscalera

Administrator
    November 30, 2021 at 8:57 pm
    make icon Makes 8
    make icon 97 Forum Points

I love your art @philipspace – There’s also something about your fully colored work that is just gorgeous.

• philipspace

November 30, 2021 at 9:29 pm
      make icon Makes 7

Thank you @buddyscalera , that means a lot to me!

Considering that I had never really worked in color before last year’s 8-page challenge, I feel like I’m getting a better handle on it.

I’d really like to see some of the other artists here to post what they’re working on too, though. I love seeing other people’s styles and interests, and it helps keep me inspired.

• philipspace

December 2, 2021 at 10:40 pm
    make icon Makes 7
    • redheadeded

Administrator
      January 10, 2022 at 3:28 am
      make icon Makes 6
      make icon 68 Forum Points

Philip you are killing it.. I will be back with a post this week..

D. Alley, the. RedheadedEd

• eldios

January 18, 2022 at 5:34 am
    make icon Makes 0
    make icon 25 Forum Points

MAN. Amazing art. It’s crisp & visually reminds me of the 90’s X-Men Animated series.

• eldios

January 18, 2022 at 5:40 am
    make icon Makes 0

As far as comic book art goes this all I have so far. I bought a blank comic off of Amazon with the idea of submitting it to Marvel Comics. This is until I found out that Marvel just doesn’t accept submissions. The character is Cannonball & I came up with a story where he travels back home to Kentucky & sees that opioids have ravaged his community. I guess once finished I’ll just post it online. OH if you can’t tell I’m new to all of this. The scan probably gives it away.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  eldios.
    • philipspace

January 18, 2022 at 6:29 am
      make icon Makes 7

That’s cool man.

I agree that it kind of bites that Marvel and DC no longer accept unsolicited work, but as far as creating fan-fiction you have a fair amount of leeway with what kind of stories you can produce. You might want to check out John Byrne’s blog, where he just decided to start writing his own (not-for-profit or publication) X-Men books at http://www.byrnerobotics.com/

• eldios

January 18, 2022 at 6:35 am
        make icon Makes 0

WORD. Thanks. I’m going to check that out now. Hey what do you use to digitally draw your art? I’m totally ignorant on what I need to buy. I know there are drawing tablets. I even bought a drawing pen (I don’t even know the correct name for it) for my iPhone, but I haven’t used it after I bought it because the iPhone is obviously too small. I just prefer pencil & paper too.

• philipspace

January 18, 2022 at 6:39 pm
          make icon Makes 7

There is a lot available out there, most of it will serve your needs just fine. When in doubt, focus on your pen and paper, switching to digital is about as difficult as making a scan or taking a picture with your phone and sending it to your computer or tablet.

To answer your question; I use an Artisul tablet for comic production, which is sort of like an off-brand Cintiq. That’s connected to my desktop computer. I’ve used it for both of the last two 8-page challenges and it’s worked just fine, so I’d call it a decent investment, but most any tablet will do. For day to day sketching, my wife indulged me for our anniversary last year and picked me up an Ipad Pro with the 2nd generation Apple pencil.

The program I use on both formats is called Clipstudio Paint (formerly Manga Studio) and is specifically designed for comic production. There are lots of programs available, but if you want to make comics it’s what I’d recommend. It’s used by industry professionals, including Todd McFarlane I gather.

When in doubt, keep working from your sketchbook, make comics in it, you can transfer them to digital later. There is nothing that a digital setup can do for you that will improve on your core drawing skills, it can only provide you with some additional tools to streamline your process. I strongly urge you to team up with someone for this years 8-page challenge, it will level-up your drawing skills if you complete it.

<

p class=””>

• redheadeded

Administrator
          January 25, 2022 at 10:09 am
          make icon Makes 6

Hey @RICHelDIOS

I second Everything @philipspace said. Digital is cool, if you can afford it, but learning with plain old pencil and paper is cheaper and will help strengthen your core skills. Seriously even crayons and markers is a good place to start. And don’t worry about submitting to Marvel to early on .. keep posting here and working in the community and you will be surprised with the people you can network with, which will get your foot in the door faster than any cold call or blind submission.

As to tools, I like sketch books first, but I will use any paper as a draft or first pass drawing. I have posted some pictures below of the types of stuff I use, or as my Dad calls it “at least not the walls!”

Like Philip when I want to digitize I take a picture with my phone and transfer it to my computer via a free cloud file tranfer, like Dropbox, Google Drive or One Note. Here is where I might differ a bit from some others on this forum I have a very high end system because I work in animation as a day job, and invested heavily in the best spec machine (seriously I am VERY lucky). I have a 27″ write on Cintiq 27QHDT. It is HEAVEN. It is not necessary but I love it, maybe a little too much. That is currently hooked up to my iMacPro (purchased new in 2019) and for on the go work I have a 15′ Surface Book 3. .. shit Sorry I didn’t mean to brag, I promise I worked my ass off to paid for this thing.. still do, stupid credit.

ANYWAY.. program wise I was raised on Marcomedia (bought long ago by Adobe) and I am matrix level plugged into their software practices. I just started using Clip Studio Paint, which is WAY cheaper and I think better over all for comics and digital illustration. And there are a TON of online tutorials on how to use the software for whatever you choose. A lot of people on here can recommend different alt software too, if you need more information, do a quick search of the forums for that sorta thing, or start your own topic to ask more.

Please keep posting and definetly check out the ComicBookSchool.com blog posts too as they have a LOT of info on learning stuff like this. 😉

Let us know if you have any more questions, looking forward to seeing more! 😉

<

p class=””>D. Alley, the RedheadedEd

• izmoney10000

January 25, 2022 at 6:08 pm
          make icon Makes 3
          make icon 23 Forum Points

@RICHelDIOS Pencil and paper works best. I did a two page flash fiction piece with @LateNiteScholar for the last anthology using 11×17 Bristol board, pencil, ink and brush and alcohol markers for colors ( first time coloring any of my art). I have just started working digitally on comic art for a few months now and it is not as much fun. More like painting. IMO.

• eldios

February 3, 2022 at 8:50 pm
            make icon Makes 0

My bad for the late reply. OK. Cool. I am a painter as well so hopefully when I start using the digital tools it’ll be a smooth transition. I’m going to look up those tools you mentioned. Since my BDAY is coming up in a few months I think I’ll treat myself to some new art supplies–though right now I’m going to “thug it out” w/my sketch books & pencils.

• andyseabert

January 20, 2022 at 3:43 am
    make icon Makes 7
    make icon 22 Forum Points

Figured I post a few pieces. These are from awhile back as I haven’t done much over the past year. All done in Procreate on my gen 3 iPad pro.

Working on getting back into it again. 🙂

• philipspace

January 20, 2022 at 4:25 am
      make icon Makes 7

These are great!

• eldios

January 20, 2022 at 7:36 am
      make icon Makes 0

I agree…very dope. MAN.

• redheadeded

Administrator
      January 25, 2022 at 10:10 am
      make icon Makes 6

You know you are awesome, but I just had to say it. 😉

D. Alley, the RedheadedEd

• andyseabert

January 26, 2022 at 5:46 am
        make icon Makes 7

Thanks D., always good to be appreciated by the editor 😁

• redheadeded

Administrator
          February 1, 2022 at 6:59 am
          make icon Makes 6

Well it would be nice to have other artists on the Editorial staff around here but we are all so busy drawing I seem to be the only one, in a room full of writers.. lol.

But c’est la vie…

Artist first / Editor by design.. lol.

• mr-andersin

January 27, 2022 at 8:19 am
      make icon Makes 0
      make icon 80 Forum Points

Great symmetric set up, The shadow work is fantastic, Great work.

• philipspace

January 21, 2022 at 1:16 am
    make icon Makes 7
  • izmoney10000

January 21, 2022 at 1:02 pm
    make icon Makes 3

Some nice work here guys! I have been trying out procreate came up with this today.

• philipspace

January 21, 2022 at 10:23 pm
      make icon Makes 7

Nice!!!

• andyseabert

January 22, 2022 at 1:51 am
      make icon Makes 7

Ghost Rider is always a win!

I like the pose and the chain swinging past, really starts to open up the space in the image.

One suggestion, watch your tangents. Where the chain in the foreground moves past his right heel you’ve got one. It starts to push the leg in front of the chain at first glance.

Also, I like that the flames feel 3d around the skull.

Nice! 🔥

• eldios

January 22, 2022 at 2:51 am
      make icon Makes 0

This is very dope. It has it’s own flare. It’s like I’m looking at digital pastels. Ghost Rider is a one of my favs as well. I never read enough of his comics though.

• redheadeded

Administrator
      January 25, 2022 at 10:13 am
      make icon Makes 6

@izmoney10000

This is great! I love the shape of the skull with his mouth open and screaming like that..
      – How do you find procreate? a couple people have mentioned it in this thread, I haven’t used it do you like it?

• izmoney10000

January 25, 2022 at 11:38 am
        make icon Makes 3

It is nice for portability, I have just started working with it though. I do like the one time price of 9.99 on the App Store, I have been spending around 30.00 a month on adobe and clipstudiopaint and if I can replace csp that would save some greenbacks.

• redheadeded

Administrator
          January 25, 2022 at 11:58 am
          make icon Makes 6

You are paying monthly for CSP?
          Adobe yes susbcriptions till your eyes bleed…

but CSP should be a one time purchase of 50$ or 220$ for Pro last I checked???

https://www.clipstudio.net/en/purchase/

Do I have that wrong?

• izmoney10000

January 25, 2022 at 6:09 pm
            make icon Makes 3

Not sure I will see.

• andyseabert

January 26, 2022 at 5:54 am
              make icon Makes 7

Clip Studio is purchase or subscription for windows or mac OS. Subscription is the only option for iPad, android, etc.

And yes Procreate is an excellent one time investment.

• izmoney10000

January 26, 2022 at 9:53 am
              make icon Makes 3

There is a one time option I guess I should just pull the trigger on the one time. It is a very good program.

• philipspace

January 26, 2022 at 6:21 am
            make icon Makes 7

I purchased Clipstudio on my desktop computer back when it was still Mangastudio, and given the amount of updates and additional content that has been made available since then, I’d say it’s the best $30 I’ve ever spent.

On the Ipad Pro I’m paying an annual subscription, which I don’t find particularly onerous, but I’m also a big fan of the program and use it all the time. I tried out Procreate and I thought it was… OK. Some of the default features I thought were pretty great, but there were other things that I found worked so much better (for me) in Clipstudio, at least as far as comic production went. I know that there are professional artists who use Procreate for comics production, but I just don’t see why you would given the other options available.

That being said, use what works for you. Figuring out what that will be is a process, and it’s a process that will require occasional refinement. Everybody will have their own system, but ultimately there’s no magic “one way” that makes the difference, it’s all going to be the expression of your own art.

• redheadeded

Administrator
              January 31, 2022 at 5:23 am
              make icon Makes 6

Thanks Philip, I didn’t know it was subscription only on iPad.

Iz let us know if you do ‘pull the trigger’ and if it works out for you. I am geniuely interested when people use all the different softwares. 😉

• izmoney10000

January 22, 2022 at 5:05 am
    make icon Makes 3

Thanks!

• izmoney10000

January 26, 2022 at 7:21 pm
    make icon Makes 3

Rogue down in Georgia.

• mr-andersin

January 26, 2022 at 7:27 pm
    make icon Makes 0

Most of my art is with letter making stories o r logos but I do digital enhancements and corrections as well and have done things with shapes and of course lettering as we would all agree is art. Here is some of my latest art work:

• izmoney10000

January 26, 2022 at 7:38 pm
      make icon Makes 3

@Mr.AnderSiN it is an unthankful painstaking job to be the hype man, keep on pushing bro. Excellent design work.

• mr-andersin

January 26, 2022 at 7:42 pm
        make icon Makes 0

Thank you, it can be fun as well.

• andyseabert

January 31, 2022 at 4:52 am
      make icon Makes 7

Nice work, really like the depth in the expanse logo.

• redheadeded

Administrator
      January 31, 2022 at 5:25 am
      make icon Makes 6

I agree with Andy the logo is nice, and I like the color palette on the last one.

• eldios

February 3, 2022 at 8:56 pm
      make icon Makes 0

I’m late to the party, but as like others have responded–dope work bruh. Have you ever thought about making logos for like wrestling? Your logos remind me of 90’s WWF aka WWE, it gives me a nostalgic feeling that’s exciting to my eyes.

• aesthetic-derelict

January 27, 2022 at 7:06 am
    make icon Makes 6
    make icon 73 Forum Points

Good news, gang! Though it has been a merry while, I recently had the good fortune of making a poster for a streaming group. Though I sent this in some time ago, they finally saw it printed.

• izmoney10000

January 27, 2022 at 4:08 pm
      make icon Makes 3

Sick! Love me some wrastlin.

• andyseabert

January 31, 2022 at 4:50 am
      make icon Makes 7

Great work, HHH’s accurate nose really makes him look like a villain. 😁