Warning: Attempt to read property "post_parent" on null in /homepages/26/d225668975/htdocs/CBSCreate/wp-content/plugins/buddyboss-platform/bp-forums/functions.php on line 841
Read Pile – Week of April 11, 2021 - Main Forum - Create @ Comic Book School

Forums Forums Main Forum Read Pile – Week of April 11, 2021

Tagged: 

• Read Pile – Week of April 11, 2021

Posted by buddyscalera on April 11, 2021 at 11:31 pm

Thought it would be interesting to see what people are reading. I stopped at my local comic shop yesterday and added a few comics to my read pile. My local shop is The Joker’s Child in Fair Lawn, NJ.

Conan the Barbarian (Marvel)

The Cimmarian Iron Shadows of the Moon

Serial

Geiger

Dead Dog’s Bite

Karmen

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  buddyscalera.

Warning: Attempt to read property "post_parent" on null in /homepages/26/d225668975/htdocs/CBSCreate/wp-content/plugins/buddyboss-platform/bp-forums/functions.php on line 841

thesurrealari replied 8 months, 2 weeks ago 6 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies

• thesurrealari

April 12, 2021 at 3:20 am
    make icon Makes 6
    make icon 15 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Here’s mine: my lcs is Grasshopper Comics in Williston Park, which as an excellent discount graphic novels rack (hence the old stuff) and a monthly online book club during the pandemic

Gideon Falls 5, Lemire/SorentinoStewart

Aya Life in Yop City Aboet/Ouberie

Thor vs Seth The Serpent God, Defalco/frenz

The Illustrated Roger Zelazny, Zelalzny/Morrow/Preiss

The Bojeffries Saga, Moore/Parkhouse

New Gods, Kirby

Nemesis, Millar/McNiven

The Thing Classic (Vol 1 and 2), Byrne/Wilson

Marx: A Tale of Neglect, Kompman/Bell

Give Me Liberty, Miller/Gibbons

Sumptown, Rucka/Southworth

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  thesurrealari.

• jojabarker

April 12, 2021 at 3:35 am
    make icon Makes 6
    make icon 71 Forum Points

These days I’ve been relying on our local library. Today I picked up Derf Backderf’s graphic novel KENT STATE.

The last purchase here in Bloomington, IN was from Vintage Phoenix. My son fondly remembered flipping through some Ghostbusters’ monthlies, so we got the GB: CROSSING OVER trade.

Looking forward to everyone else’s reading piles! (…and don’t know about y’all, but it seems mine just keeps growing!!)

• videogamingtalkblog

April 12, 2021 at 3:41 am
    make icon Makes 6
    make icon 123 Forum Points

just getting back into comics again so I don’t really have anything right now to read because it’s been at least 2 years since I last read a comic so all my titles have ended and I am having trouble finding the new arcs

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  kpei137.
  • mikedoestheart

Administrator
    April 12, 2021 at 6:15 am
    make icon Makes 6
    make icon 114 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: member icon Forum Scion

For the most part I hunt for my trusty trade paperback graphic novels, and right now I’ve got quite the backlog.

1. Vol. 2 of Middlewest(Middlewest, Book 2 TP | Image Comics)

2. Currently awaiting the arrival of Book 2 of Earthworm Jim off of Kickstarter(Earthworm Jim 2: Fight the Fish! by TenNapel — Kickstarter). Withholding my personal opinion of that IP’s creator, I can’t deny the quality of their work!

3. Giant Days from Boom (Index – BOOM! Studios – Come Innovate With Us. (boom-studios.com) has been a guilty pleasure as of late, so I’m looking forward to catching up.

Looking at these other lists here I’m realizing I need additional bookshelfs!

• krisburgos

April 12, 2021 at 6:46 am
      make icon Makes 6
      make icon 66 Forum Points

Let me know about Middlewest!

• mikedoestheart

Administrator
        April 12, 2021 at 9:02 pm
        make icon Makes 6
        make icon 114 Forum Points
        CBS Forum Member: member icon Forum Scion

I referred to Book 1 of Middlewest for reference for your Teddies story, actually. My bookmarks are still in there from when I was doing layouts last year! Young and Corona can’t do wrong in my eyes. Makes me wanna go pick it up right now

• krisburgos

April 12, 2021 at 6:35 am
    make icon Makes 6

Yes, I know my pull list is old stuff, long story short… I stopped reading Marvel for about 10 years then got back into it and have been trying to catch up with Marvel so I’ve read everything from Marvel starting around roughly Heroes Return (I stopped reading as Civil War Ended and wanted to catch my bearings)… you’ll see that I’m gonna be a few years behind everybody else, so I’ve spent 5 years trying to catch up… I’m finally at Marvel, circa 2016. So what I’ve currently “pulled”…

Jason Aaron’s Thor run (just wrapped up Unworthy Thor) sweet baby jeezus, this is my favorite Thor run ever

Cullen Bunn’s run on Uncanny X-Men

& Civil War II

• thesurrealari

April 25, 2021 at 5:46 am
    make icon Makes 6

The Demon’s Sermon on Martial Arts, graphic novel edition. <a class=’bp-suggestions-mention’ href=’https://create.comicbookschool.com/members/krisburgos/’ rel=’nofollow’>@krisburgos , eat your heart out…

• krisburgos

April 25, 2021 at 8:39 am
      make icon Makes 6

Oooh, what’s that about?!

• thesurrealari

April 25, 2021 at 5:08 pm
        make icon Makes 6

It’s one of the classic Samurai martial arts texts. Not quite as famous as The Book Of 5 Rings, but probably top-5 from that era. What makes it different is that it incorporates Taoist philosophies with the traditional, Japanese Martial philosophies of the era.

This is a graphic novel adaptation. I found it in my local independent book store yesterday. It’s published by Shambala, which is not usually a comics publisher, but is a major publisher of Eastern religious and philosophical texts in English.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
          April 25, 2021 at 6:26 pm
          make icon Makes 8
          make icon 97 Forum Points

I love this. It’s the kind of thing we could think about for future challenge. For example, “how to adapt a classic.”

There are anthologies out there that put a new twist on stories in the public domain. This could easily be something that’s about a more faithful adaptation for educational purposes.

• thesurrealari

August 26, 2021 at 5:49 am
    make icon Makes 6

Purchased today from Bronx Bound Books’ stand at the NYBG farmers market. Two Epic Marvel collections, A Masters of Kung Fu and a Conan.

These are usually pricey, but they were in the “pay as you wish” bin.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
      August 26, 2021 at 8:21 am
      make icon Makes 8
      make icon 97 Forum Points

Those are great finds. I’m especially fond of that Conan. There are some excellent stories in there.

• thesurrealari

September 1, 2021 at 7:15 pm
    make icon Makes 6

They’ll make their way to the top of my tbr pile eventually.