Forums Forums 8-Page Challenge #2 Questions & Answers for Challenge #2

• Questions & Answers for Challenge #2

redheadeded updated 5 months, 1 week ago 10 Members · 21 Posts
  • buddyscalera

Administrator
    February 2, 2021 at 4:36 am
    make icon 101 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

This is where you ask your questions and hopefully get some answers.

• MisterAnderSiN

February 5, 2021 at 7:08 am
    make icon 68 Forum Points

Can you add this profile to the C.O.T.W

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    February 6, 2021 at 8:21 pm

This is a link to the schedule for the second anthology, which is part of the 8-Page Challenge. https://create.comicbookschool.com/forums/forum/8-page-challenge-2/

8-Page Challenge #2

• mikedoestheart

Administrator
    February 17, 2021 at 2:27 am

Hey Guys ! Trying to rack my brain and recall whether or not we were only sticking to the 8-page format, or if there is an option for a 10/12 pg variation on the stories this go round. Any thoughts at this point in the process?

• buddyscalera

Administrator
      February 21, 2021 at 5:42 am

We shoot for 8 as a matter of consistency. That said, if you need to take a few extra pages, I think it will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Since we know you can do the work @mikedoestheart and have proven yourself as a reliable and consistent creator, we will be happy to work with you on a 10-page story.

• redheadeded

February 23, 2021 at 7:51 am
      make icon 66 Forum Points

Hey Mike,

I talked to Buddy about this tonight, and I dont agree.

I think this is fine in the other publications that dont have a page count requirement. But it seems odd to do that in the 8-Page Challenage. It is a different challenge to do a different set of pages than literally everyone else. It changes the goal of the submission, and it stops the team in question from learning about how to properly tell an engaging story in 8 pages and learning to build within the frame work of the initial ask; that is the challenage. 10 pages isn’t a stretch yeah, but that is not what the challenge was about. It is 8 pages. It seems wrong to me to make “exeptions” even on a case by case basis.

…well that is my 2 cents anyway, since that is quickly becoming my new catch phrase

Let me know what you think…

D Alley, the Redheadeded

• philipspace

February 26, 2021 at 5:06 am
        make icon 69 Forum Points

Weird. I don’t know why my last post disappeared after I tried to edit it, but I can’t seem to find it anymore. Oh well. As long as my fingers and attendant keyboard are functioning, I can always type more.

To paraphrase my previous post, I can see @redheadeded ‘s point that an 8-page challenge should logically be two less than ten but one more than seven. That being said, I confess to some confusion surrounding this subject last year, since it seemed like the page count was not necessarily set in stone either. I don’t have any real difficulty keeping a story at 8 pages, but the friend I’m collaborating with this year balks at it. That being said, should that be 8 pages and a cover? What if my story’s 10 pages? Or only 4? Obviously stopping in a story is easier than starting. That inertia once the production is in motion is much easier to maintain than generate.

This may be a topic for further discussion. While I wouldn’t want to advocate creating a greater headache for the editorial team, if the anthology is going to be published in digital form anyways, is the page count really an issue?

• philipspace

March 24, 2021 at 11:05 pm
        make icon 69 Forum Points

@redheadeded So that’s cool, but again does that allow for 8 pages and a cover and/or pinup?

• redheadeded

March 25, 2021 at 8:25 pm

Hey @philipspace

So this year, we are saying 8 pages AND a Cover. So you should have technically 9 page PDF for submisson at the end of all this. The Cover should include the title and credits as needed, but doesn’t need to have the publishing elements a regular single issue would have. We are encouranging people to go all out on the cover.. as we try to all get on the same page (figuratively speaking) with the requirement of the 8-page challenge submissions.

Thanks for asking the question, we are happy to clarify more if there is any confusion!

D Alley, the Redheadeded.

• thesurrealari

March 16, 2021 at 7:44 am
      make icon 58 Forum Points

I agree with Erin. I think there’s a few reasons to stick to 8 pages:

1. There is something to be said for consistency. It is a part of the challenge in the same way that a 12-bar structure is part of playing the Blues. A freeform jazz composition would seem out of place in a blues compellation, and there is a similar dynamic here.
      2. Part of the intention of the challenge is to prepare people for professional work. It is my understanding–and correct me if I’m wrong @buddyscalera –that when an editor assigns you an 8-page story (or 11, 22, whatever), it is incumbent on the creator to deliver 8-pages. I know that when I was in journalism, I was given a word count that I couldn’t go over, and would never presume to submit a short story outside the word count stated in the guidelines of a particular publisher.

3. In terms of the publishing, while we publish digitally at first, it is my understanding that we want to keep the print option open for the future. The first anthology came to exactly 144 pages, which is printable should we so desire. Now, there are ways around an oddly numbered story–leaf pages, house ads, etc, but it is something to keep in mind.

If we are in the minority, so be it, but that’s my opinion.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
        March 17, 2021 at 1:38 am

I’m sufficiently embarassed to say that I did not consult @thesurrealari or @redheadeded before I went off and changed the rules. They are the editors, so we will follow the guidelines.

Let’s stick with 8 Pages. Ignore the man behind the curtain.

• Polygeekism

February 19, 2021 at 1:31 am
    make icon 20 Forum Points

So I want to write an 8pg comic, and go through all the steps to outline and script it, but if we cannot find someone to team with on the art side can I also construct it as a flash fiction and submit that way as well?

• buddyscalera

Administrator
      February 21, 2021 at 5:45 am

Yes, you can @Polygeekism . That said, there is time to find creative partners online. Many people found their partners on Instagram, Twitter, and DeviantArt. If you want, check out the New Mutants board. This is an area where you can network and be introduced through @indiedevil .

• jojabarker

March 27, 2021 at 12:02 pm

Joel here, I can’t recall if I filled out and submitted the form. Was I supposed to get a confirmation email?

Where should I go to find writers who are still in need of a penciller?

*I posted on both the virtual Creator Connections and Introduce Yourself boards, are there any other places I should be mingling?

Thank you for continuing to inspire and encourage, Kirbyspeed!

• Bauldeury

April 2, 2021 at 11:49 am

It might be still a bit early to ask, but that’s something we’ll eventually all need to know ^^

What are the dimensions of the page ? How much safety margin should be used ? What resolution should be used (150DPI, 300DPI, 400DPI, something else) ?

• Bauldeury

April 24, 2021 at 12:53 am

Alright I try to revive it there, cause as I work digitally I’ll soon need those specs to work :

What is the final printed size of a page ? What resolution (DPI ?) should I use ?

Is a 1500×2250 file too much, too little, or okayish ?

• redheadeded

April 25, 2021 at 9:41 pm

Hey <a class=’bp-suggestions-mention’ href=’https://create.comicbookschool.com/members/bauldeury/’ rel=’nofollow’>@Bauldeury

I am sorry this fell off my to do list! I was supposed to have this posted back for you get AGES ago, Thank you for the reminder. 😮 😉

We are mostly using Comixology specs, as they can apply well across other platforms. Here is the link to their specs page and the details I have hammered out since we did the anthology last year, if you have any questions let me know.

At least 310dpi but no more than 600dpi / Color mode: RGB (not CMYK)

• Saved as a High Res PNG or TIFF file with LZW compression to preserve image quality

Standard comic page (6.625” x 10.25”)

• 310dpi – 1988px x 3075px
      • 600dpi – 3976px x 6150px

At 300% zoom keep an eye out for:

– Artifacting

– Pixelation

– Aliasing

– Excessive white space

Thanks again!

D. Alley, the Redheadeded

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  redheadeded.
  • Soph

April 29, 2021 at 1:28 am

Hi everyone! I had a quick question. The name of this anthology is ‘8-Page Comic’, but the description I read sounded like it is a 300-700 (by option) written piece and 1-2 accompany illustrations. Is this just the starting work, or is that what is included in the ‘8 pages’? Thanks!

• redheadeded

May 19, 2021 at 11:42 pm

OMG @Soph ,

We are falling donw on the job here, I am so sorry for the delay in getting you an answer on this.. the 8 page challenge is the Comic Book portion of the anthology, last year due to everything happening in 2020, we optioned for additional Flash Fiction Pieces to be added into the anthology that were short stories and an illustration.

Fast forward to this year we are offereing the same, an 8 page comic (with a one page cover) and/or a Flash Fiction piece see that post for details)

To keep the book from being over run but any one team, writer, artists or creator we ask that anyone submitting only enter twp pieces, that can be 2 comics, or 2 Flash Fiction or 1 of each.

Please feel free to reach out to us at the team communicty mtgs and by email if you have any additional questions! And again sorry for the delayed response!

Thanks, D Alley, the Redheadeded.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  redheadeded. Reason: LINE SPACING! FOR THE LOVE OF PETE!
Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now