Forums Forums Main Forum Preparing for your first portfolio review

• izmoney10000

February 28, 2022 at 9:32 am
    make icon Makes 3
    make icon 23 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

There are certain things to do and not to do when it is time for your portfolio review.

1. Sign up early for a review, there is nothing worse than waiting in a long line for a review, it also shows the editor that you were serious enough to tend to your business first.
    2. Be ready to take any criticism, if you are talking to an editor their job is to point out mistakes. If you are talking to a artist the main thing that they can do for you is point out what you are doing wrong or what needs improvement. Keep your expectations low but be prepared for an offer it has happened before.

3. Have a sample of your work printed out with your contact info included being able to read or look at something in hand in the hotel room or the flight home could get you remembered. email is the most important in my opinion I have had the same email for over 20 years now, my phone number has changed multiple times. If your e-mail is weedmaster3000@gettinhigh take the time to create a professional email account its free.

4. Show your work to anyone who will look at it. This is a big one, showing your work to as many creators as possible will create networking maybe even connections or friendships.

5. Don’t compare your work to the work of anyone else.

6. Itoya Art portfolio 11×17 is the largest portfolio you need to take for original art. The number one reason creators go to shows is to make money selling their books or art so don’t take up their space with a large portfolio full of old art ideas.

7. setting up your portfolio: Current sequential art first, older stuff to the rear pinups in the middle.

8. Be professional and courteous but not demanding. Take notes.

9. End every review with thank you for your time, and here is the way to reach me then offer your printed out sample from point 3. The reviewer does not have to take your sample if they do not want it. Do not push it on them. If your first review was bad go to the next table. Opportunity awaits.

10. pay attention.

Story time. I was at a con showing my portfolio to a golden age creator Martin Nodell he said you should look at becoming a storyboard artist, at this time I was a very unprofessional stupid kid who knew everything, my response was something like I want to be a comic artist only, he laughed and said go and take your stuff to Dick Giordano and tell him I sent you. This was at the end of the show and I was beaten down by the reality that I was not as good as I had perceived in my mind, most of my friends and family were already back at the hotel and my brother was ready to go and I missed the opportunity to at least talk and meet one of the most influential people in DC comics history. now I can only say what if I did? would I have the same story? It only takes one person to say yes, to see in your work what others did not.

• philipspace

February 28, 2022 at 7:11 pm
    make icon Makes 7
    make icon 74 Forum Points

Portfolio reviews can be tough, but they are incredibly helpful– if you pay attention. You really have to check your ego at the door though, and keep in mind that the person reviewing your work is actually trying to help you, too. Most people would never want to be the person who crushed somebody’s hopes and dreams, but it also doesn’t do anyone any service to give polite compliments when an artist or writer isn’t really ready for professional work, either.

If I were to provide advice, I would also suggest to any aspiring artist to not be too narrow in their focus. Many of the most successful artists in the industry broke in as inkers, colorists or letterers, and the more you know how to do the more likely you’ll find opportunities for work, and the more you’ll be able to accomplish on your own books too. Likewise, learning how to work in mediums outside of comics can only help you improve as a creator.

• philipspace

February 28, 2022 at 7:12 pm
    make icon Makes 7
    make icon 74 Forum Points

And I should add, storyboard artists make pretty good money, too.