Forums Forums Main Forum Post EternalCon 2022 Reflections

• Post EternalCon 2022 Reflections

Posted by buddyscalera on July 4, 2022 at 10:42 am

To everyone who attended EternalCon 2022,

Thanks for representing Comic Book School. I’m sure all of the people who attended your panels are grateful for the in-person learning experience you provided.

If you have photos to share, please add them to this thread.

I’d like to create a summary article for other people who will be attending small- and medium-sized conventions this year. As such, can you provide a 1-2 sentence response to the questions below?

What did you learn during your panels and presentations?

What did you learn exhibiting at the tables?

What is one good suggestion for other creators who are planning to attend a small- to medium-size convention this year?

Keep your answers relatively short!

maryamsmark replied 5 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • krisburgos

July 5, 2022 at 11:41 am
    make icon Makes 6
    make icon 66 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

What did you learn during your panels and presentations?
    This year had more energy in it than last year as things are starting to pick up in a post(?)-COVID world. When it comes to the panels, having interaction with the audience is key. Things can seem slow or maybe even lonely as the panelists chirp away their ideas, comments, and answers to the moderators while a crowd watches on like they’re outside the fish tank, but if you can get the audience involved (and not necessarily solely in the Q&A) the panels have more vibrant energy and it works in favor of both the panelists and the audience.
    What did you learn exhibiting at the tables?
    At a table, again, interaction is the biggest thing, along with confidence. When someone approaches your table, there’s no telling what their reaction to me or my work is going to be, so I make sure I’m friendly to everyone and I’m confident in my work/product. Even if you’re having a crummy day, or the con isn’t necessarily going in your favor, a smile and some light conversation can open doors to potential sales and having faith in your accomplishments and sharing them can reign in some new fans.
    What is one good suggestion for other creators who are planning to attend a small- to medium-size convention this year?
    Be open to talking to con-goers. If someone is “just browsing”, don’t be afraid to ask them what they’re into. If someone wants to chat about how your stuff reminds them of something they’ve seen… find out what it is. If someone asks for a quick look at their work, (and you’re having a slow time at your booth) give them 5 minutes. You might find a diamond in the rough, someone you’d like to work with or seal the deal on a potential sale or follower.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    July 5, 2022 at 11:55 am
    make icon Makes 8
    make icon 97 Forum Points

Great tips @krisburgos . Thank you.

• maryamsmark

July 5, 2022 at 2:17 pm
    make icon Makes 8
    make icon 76 Forum Points

-What did you learn during your panels and presentations?

For most part, I stated to cover the cbs tables, I didn’t get the opportunity to attend any additional panels/presentations. I will watch the videos, and give a better answer once videos are shared.

-What did you learn exhibiting at the tables?
    Exhibiting at the table I learned many people are willing to give feedback, offer advice, and sign up to stay connected. A good deal of individuals came to visit to share stories and have interest in the “school” part of comic books. Other surrounding exhibitors are willing to collaborate, and will share tips with each other.

-What is one good suggestion for other creators who are planning to attend a small- to medium-size convention this year?
    One good suggestion for other creators who are planning to attend a convention is to have something to give/sell – rather it’s ready or not – stop wasting time of perfection, go with it. Create that conversation, have a “hook” sentence ready to engage people who walk by – do not stay looking down into your phone, bring a helper or two, make eye contact. Make a targeted clear goal, if you are going to sell your key chains, then make a how many you want to sell each our – challenge yourself. If you are going so you can network, make a number of how many people you want to meet, if you are going to collect the missing copies of your Death Stroke Comic, go knowing with catalog number you need. Planning in advance helps. Go, start list building and enjoy yourself. Don’t delay. If you didn’t go this year, start your plan today so you can attend next year – you have 10-12 months, make the best of you.

• maryamsmark

July 5, 2022 at 3:08 pm
    make icon Makes 8
    make icon 76 Forum Points

@buddyscalera Here is the link to my google drive folder of EternalCon 2022 photos. Check out, download. Anyone with this link should be able to access the photos.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-WWwk3EcqVWQ9aZRc_lf34FF8MHqxi2z?usp=sharing