Forums Forums Writer’s Roundtable Obscure Marvel or DC Character You’d Like to Write

• Obscure Marvel or DC Character You’d Like to Write

Posted by buddyscalera on March 27, 2022 at 7:31 am

Sometimes I like to dream about getting the keys to the Marvel Comics or DC Comics and being allowed to write anything. Of course, all the main characters are in a separate vault where I can’t get to them, so I am only allowed to write a story about an obscure character.

Here’s who I would want to write:

Marvel: Machine Man

There’s something oddly wonderful about this character. The series by Jack Kirby hit me at the perfect time in my life when I was open to something quirky and philosophical. I would reboot this today with the original Machine Man and just pick up with modern interpretations of the story.

DC: Kamandi

It’s a coincidence only that I am saying another Jack Kirby character, really. I read these issues when I was a kid and I didn’t appreciate them at all. It wasn’t until years later when I started to find Kamandi in back issues did I really appreciate the crazy innovations of the Kamandi series. There’s so much here to play with. The Kamandi Challenge was a super-fun story romp for all of the creators. I’d actually pick up later in the story with Kamandi a bit older and less astonished by talking animals.

What would you write, if you had access to only one obscure Marvel and DC character?

Tagging a few writers and artists in this one.

buddyscalera replied 4 months, 1 week ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • glen

March 28, 2022 at 12:54 am
    make icon Makes 6
    make icon 24 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

I think DC has the most fun obscure character. I’d go with Mogo or Mr. Banjo. Especially Mr. Banjo, I only discovered him from the Robot Chicken DC comic special and he sounded ridiculous.

• krisburgos

March 28, 2022 at 1:54 am
    make icon Makes 6
    make icon 66 Forum Points

I’d be all over Slapstick at Marvel. I actually wrote several spec episodes of Ultimate Spider-Man years ago for the animated series at the request of one of the producers and one of the episodes had Slapstick. He didn’t even know Slapstick was a real character.

I guess someone at Marvel “found” the character and they developed him a bit more and turned him into a “villain” or “antihero” a few of years ago.

• philipspace

April 4, 2022 at 10:37 pm
    make icon Makes 7
    make icon 74 Forum Points

I feel like Deathlok deserves some love. Maybe he’s not that obscure, as he has had a film representation (in the SHIELD series), but I dig the concept. Deaths Head II would be another one that would be fun to play around with or see reincorporated.

It seems like the mainstay publishers really could stand to take some chances with new or even quirky characters, and if they don’t work out– move on. Go 5 issues and try something else if you don’t hit your sales goal. That kind of thing. You might find a hit, you might not, but you build your universe that way.

Right now I feel like the emphasis these last few years has been on pushing less-known characters (regardless of appeal or sales potential) and sticking with them, come what may. Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl seem to keep getting try after try, for instance, and they just don’t seem to be connecting with people.

With the resources that the Big Two have, I wonder if the expectation is that anything can be turned into a hit, given proper marketing? Not everything’s going to be a winner, and of course that doesn’t mean that you aren’t on to something. Back in the 60’s the Hulk got cancelled after, what, an initial 5 issue run? Lee and Kirby just kept bringing him back in other books, and he kind of grew on everybody.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
      April 10, 2022 at 9:09 pm
      make icon Makes 8
      make icon 97 Forum Points

I agree with you on Deathlok, @philipspace. This is an underused character.

Deathlok can be reinvented today with a huge impact. His tragic origins and conflicted motives are a solid foundation for a fresh take.

• gdawkins2

April 5, 2022 at 3:30 am
    make icon Makes 6
    make icon 75 Forum Points

For Marvel I would pick Night Thrasher and for DC I would pick Azrael (Michael Lane) or Bronze Tiger.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
      April 10, 2022 at 9:11 pm
      make icon Makes 8
      make icon 97 Forum Points

Those are good ones @george-dawkins-ii

I think that Azreal would be a solid character for rebooting. Interestingly enough, I would keep the character in Europe out of the main Bat-universe. Focus on European adventures in exciting locations.