Forums Forums Main Forum New Year’s Resolutions

• New Year’s Resolutions

Posted by thesurrealari on January 1, 2022 at 2:10 am

For those who want to announce their new year’s resolutions, either for comics or otherwise, you may post them here.

It’s a good practice to make resolutions public, which helps you stay accountable.

I have a lot to say about resolutions, and I’ll post more later in the week. In the meantime, I’m interested in hearing yours.

buddyscalera replied 11 months ago 6 Members · 29 Replies
  • 29 Replies
  • _

January 3, 2022 at 3:49 am
    make icon Makes 0
    make icon 25 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

In My VIEW makes PLANS, not Resolutions. Make those plans broken into 30 days 90 days 6 months and a year and review them every 30 days

• redheadeded

Administrator
      January 10, 2022 at 12:59 am
      make icon Makes 6
      make icon 68 Forum Points

Come on Rob, that’s a negative sounding responce to a pretty simple question! 😉

So if that’s the case what are your plans? I am dieing to know.

D. Alley.

• _

January 12, 2022 at 11:07 pm
        make icon Makes 0

I disagree I think Acklowding a problem will help others take this more seriously and Drive them to such better results if they plan ahead. By now millions have failed their resolutions due to a lack of plans.

as for me the short answer is 8 comics potentially cooming out this years and growth across social media in a timed fashion and expansion of sales online within the next 3 quarters

• redheadeded

Administrator
          January 13, 2022 at 12:00 am
          make icon Makes 6

Fair enough! I feel like many people can see a goal or a plan as a more thought out way of getting to the end results you want to produce. But you are right that many people have this view that a resolution is an insubstantial idea of ‘bettering yourself’ and therefore can say random platitudes without actually working toward the ‘ideal soultion’.

I also think the conitation of the word has soured over the years of people not commiting to fulfilling their resolutions, but however you get there the core idea of getting something accomplished or improving yourself is still there, no matter what you call it. the point is of course to Do IT! 😉

I am looking forward to seeing all your comics, and I am looking at that coloring cover of Cat Dad and Super Mom #2 tonight. 😉

D. Alley, the RedheadedEd

• philipspace

January 3, 2022 at 11:01 pm
    make icon Makes 7
    make icon 74 Forum Points

I resolutely plan to finish three 8-page stories this year. These may or may not be for the anthology, but certainly doable.

The first will be illustrated starting in January and ending in February, the second March to April, the third May to June.

I resolutely plan to learn how to use Blender as a way of upping my game artistically. My plan is to set a 1/2 hour a day, Monday through Friday learning key commands, watching tutorials, and building things until I feel comfortable enough with the program that I can use it for comics projects.

I resolutely plan to begin producing and publishing a regular story by no later than the end of 2022. This will likely be a Webtoon or similar format, but given the amount of digital production I’ve learned and adopted in the last two years, I don’t believe it will be a stretch.

I also have some personal and professional goals outside of comics and cartooning that I will not list here, but suffice it to say that your encouragement, support and prayers are appreciated.

Here’s to a great 2022!

• redheadeded

Administrator
      January 10, 2022 at 1:02 am
      make icon Makes 6

Philip!

This is great the fact that you have set goal times, and learning is incorporated into your plans makes it sound well thought out and totally doable!

Don’t forget to set your self due dates, so you can realistically account for your progress.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.. gotta go make sure I have all your social channels. 😉

Best of Luck my friend!

• philipspace

January 11, 2022 at 11:58 pm
        make icon Makes 7

I think it would also be helpful to revisit this particular thread in 2-3 months to report on successes and setbacks.

• thesurrealari

January 12, 2022 at 9:19 am
      make icon Makes 7
      make icon 15 Forum Points

These seem like very clear goals. Good luck.

• jholder12

January 5, 2022 at 1:14 am
    make icon Makes 6

I am resolving for 1k of fiction written per day. That should boil down to a few books, a lot of comics, and waaaaay too much flash fiction.

• redheadeded

Administrator
      January 10, 2022 at 1:02 am
      make icon Makes 6

Jack, that is an awesome resolution. I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

• thesurrealari

January 12, 2022 at 9:20 am
      make icon Makes 7

Good luck. Make sure you have time for editing and publishing as well! Also, as a dad, I recommend getting as much writing as possible in before the baby is too mobile :).

• thesurrealari

January 5, 2022 at 9:40 am
    make icon Makes 7

Here are some of my 2022 writing goals:

100 submissions to publishers comics/prose short stories/poems/whatever

Finish 2 prose novels, both are about 3/4th done.

Write a full-length comics script for an idea that I’m not willing to share publicly yet.

Continue building comic books school, both in the community through the publishing aspects

Do a better job following up/building on professional relationships.

Write a short story, poem, short comic, or flash fiction a week (Bradbury challenge)

Publish a illustrated prose/poetry project I did with an artist last year.

Update my blog more regularly.

• redheadeded

Administrator
      January 10, 2022 at 1:06 am
      make icon Makes 6

Ari,

I know you thought this through, and man it looks like a lot. Do you have a measure of accountablity on this list of goals? Just curious for things like “Do a better job of following up? what is your success metric for that?

And again, don’t forget to set your self due dates, so you can realistically account for your progress.

For a ‘pant’ser you are one of the best planners I know so I am sure you will do great, but as a learning opportunity for others I am interested in how you are gonna make this happen?

I am always looking forward to seeing what you come up with 😉

Best of Luck my friend!

• thesurrealari

January 12, 2022 at 9:29 am
        make icon Makes 7

D,

As we discussed before, I–and I know not everyone is like this–tend to do better with challenging goals. One of my biggest issues with the dominant SMART model is that it tends to encourage box-checking. If you accomplish 85 percent of a challenging goal, you might be further than along than accomplishing 100 percent of a modest one.

Also, both prose novels are holdovers from last year. On one, I’ve written 90K words already, on the other, about 25k (which is about half the likely total). So, that goal is more modest than it might seem.

In terms of the soft goals, I do not think that every goal needs to be measurable. There are soft skills upon which one can work–and upon which one can intend to improve. I think that some goals should be measurable, like the 100 submissions, but that some areas are worth working on that may be unmeasurable (for example, writing better similes). So, I don’t have metrics for everything. Not everything can be measured objectively, but that doesn’t me one should not resolve to improve those areas.

• redheadeded

Administrator
          January 12, 2022 at 11:04 am
          make icon Makes 6

Yeah we did discuss this after I had posted but I think it is an interesting way to think of things that can work for different types of people. So I was hoping (and thankfully rewarded) that you wrote it down here for the community to learn from your process.

Thanks again for making this thread, I feel like it is very helpful and fun. 😉

• thesurrealari

January 12, 2022 at 11:23 am
            make icon Makes 7

You raise an important point. Different things work for different people. Much of my professional work in education, and much of my writing about writing has addressed this theme. There is too much uniformity in writing advice. There are many ways to be successful, and there are strengths and weaknesses to every approach. Each approach has a pros and cons. Search for a model you like, and emulate it.

For every Tolkien, there is a CS Lewis, for every Truman Capote, a Jack Kerouac.

There are so many differentiated learning styles. There is no one-size fits all approach.

• redheadeded

Administrator
    January 10, 2022 at 1:09 am
    make icon Makes 6

I have several life resolutions… and goals… and plans, and while I am a great dreamer, I have not in the last two years done my own work.

So the one and only comic book goal this year is to finally f*cking finish my 8-pg Challenge.

Feel free to call me out. I need the encouragement. 😉

• philipspace

January 11, 2022 at 11:52 pm
      make icon Makes 7

@redheadeded , will this be your original story of the women in the zombie apocalypse, or a new one?

I am available to assist with storyboarding if that helps, and really that goes for anyone who would like to have another set of eyes on it. Message or email me, I’ll make the time.

• redheadeded

Administrator
        January 12, 2022 at 4:23 am
        make icon Makes 6

@philipspace you are too kind. I think one of the reasons I haven’t gotten it done is well… actually let’s list the reasons and we’ll see if I can sort them out..

1. I am a control freak about my own stuff… I am learning to deligate as an Editor here in CBS but for my work I am just like any other Art Director.. I know what I want but don’t feel I can communitcate it to others..
        1. I don’t make the time for my own art, and I don’t have the money to pay others. I’m not in a place where I can ask others to volunteer for the level of investment I believe it would take to make my stuff the way I want.. which leads to my third issue…
        1. It is never good enough! haha… Perfection Petrifies, and Buddy keeps telling me that even finished GOOD work is better than books that will never be complete.. but toes to the finishline.. and my butt on the fire.. I haven’t been able to put that into practice yet.

At least this year I know what I am up against. That’s why I have to keep it simple and JUST FRIKKING DO IT! Just gotta get out of my own way… if you have tips for how to do THAT.. I’m all ears. 😉

D. Alley, the RedheadedEd.

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by  redheadeded. Reason: FRIKKING LINE SPACING!!!
        • philipspace

January 12, 2022 at 5:44 am
          make icon Makes 7

The best tip that I can give would be simply; set a time, every day, and draw at that time. Ten minutes, half hour, doesn’t matter. For me that’s usually from when I get up in the morning until my workday starts, then it’s pencils down. If I start something in the morning I find that I’ll be itching to get back to it all day, and I’ve found that since adopting this practice I’ve been able to complete more drawings than ever before.

• redheadeded

Administrator
            January 12, 2022 at 7:30 am
            make icon Makes 6

@philipspace You rock. It is funny to read this right after the show about planning! lol.

Done. It is now on my calendar… everyday.

• I was gonna say “Let’s see if this works…” but positivity will help it stick, so instead “This is how I am going to improve this year.”

Thanks,

• thesurrealari

January 12, 2022 at 9:33 am
          make icon Makes 7

Finish it. You have the anthology as a deadline. Get it done by then, and move on to the next thing.

• thesurrealari

January 12, 2022 at 9:30 am
      make icon Makes 7

You know there are many of us in the community, including myself, who are here to help you do that. Let’s reinstate those monthly show-your-stuff meetings.

• redheadeded

Administrator
        January 12, 2022 at 11:02 am
        make icon Makes 6

Now that is an Idea I like as long as someone else runs it! haha.. so I can ATTEND. 😉

Thanks Ari!

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    January 13, 2022 at 1:19 am
    make icon Makes 8
    make icon 97 Forum Points

I’ll keep mine to comics only. For 2022:

1. I would like to complete Apocalypse Blvd.
    2. I would like to see my name on at least 2 more published comics. (Not including Apocalypse Blvd or our anthology).