Forums Forums 8-Page Challenge #2 8-Page Challenge #2 > Step 1 > Story Ideas Mr Stupendous: In the Clutches of the Time Keeper

• Mr Stupendous: In the Clutches of the Time Keeper

• thesurrealari

February 21, 2021 at 12:54 am
    make icon 59 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

This is an idea I had that requires multiple artists, kind of like what Rob Andersin did last time. I have a number of artists who were interested (although I may still need at least one more–possibly two–to join the team), and if I can’t get a team together, I’ll post a backup idea.

Mr. Stupendous battles a villian who can jump through time. The story opens In Medias Res, in the present day, in the middle of a battle. At the moment Mr. Stupendous is about to win, the villain opens a portal to another dimension and escapes through the portal.

When Mr. Stupendous follows, he finds–to his surprise–he has jumped through time. He is now dressed as a Golden Age hero, and when he speaks, he speaks like one as well. His opponent uses his confusion to momentarily gain the upper hand, but Stupendous fights back to gain the advantage.

The pattern of the battle continues. Each time, the villain opens the portal and they jump to a new time period. The jumps occur at each page turn, and they begin by lampooning classic comics periods–golden age, bronze age, 90’s Image, dystopian far-future anime–but as the story progresses, the jumps expand to include historical periods, like Shakespearean Rennaisance, and Medieval. Each section lampoons the storytelling and character conventions in the period with Mr. Stupendous’ signature humor.

Eventually, Stupendous figures out the pattern of the jumps and forces a jump to medieval times, where the villain punches him, but breaks his hand on the plate-armor helmet. Mr. Stupendous has subdued him, but is now stuck in Medieval times whithout a way back. Stupendous. He’s goes into the medieval Time Inn to wait.

Throughout the story, the Time Inn will appear in the background, but it will change it’s appearance to match the time period of each particular episode.

• redheadeded

February 21, 2021 at 2:30 am
    make icon 66 Forum Points

Ari,

I love this idea. I am looking forward to see how the fighting and dialog work in each ‘time period”.. I am also interested in seeing which time periods you decide to use for each of the 8 pages.

It looks like you have more than 8 pages of time/styles picked out. Will you need help narrowing them down? or will that have more to do with the Artist’s style that you choose to work with?

Thanks for posting!

D Alley, the Redheadeded

• rakeemnelson

February 21, 2021 at 3:07 am
    make icon 20 Forum Points

This idea has all the makings of a great love letter to the comics medium. But focusing on jumps you can really show how the medium has evolved via the different pages/panels and I really hope that’s what you plan on doing with this project.

• thesurrealari

February 24, 2021 at 11:18 am
    make icon 59 Forum Points

@redheadeded Thank you for the feedback. I basically have the stories picked out–partially based on the artists, and partially for storytelling/comedic purposes. I am planning on one “jump” page which will appear later in the comic and feature multiple jumps in quick succession.

@rakeemnelson Thank you for the kind words. It starts out that way, but so the gimic doesn’t get stale–and to expand the comedic premise–the last few pages jump further in time, beyond the realm of traditional comics. The first few are definitely a mix between satire and love-letters.

• MisterAnderSiN

March 2, 2021 at 9:22 am
    make icon 68 Forum Points

Thank you for filling out the form I have sent you an email and a way to contact me if needed directly.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now