Forums Forums Main Forum News for People Who Make Comics Motion Comics – Dead or Alive?

• Motion Comics – Dead or Alive?

Posted by vince on September 7, 2021 at 10:12 pm

Ahoy all,

Do Motion Comics still hold special places in the heart these days? Are they a secondary option to the printed or digital comic version?

Crowdfunding trailers on KickStarter often need a splashy trailer to get you hooked on supporting the production, and there is some growth there.

But what about for the mid or entry level stories that could offer a motion comic version of said stories? Too expensive, time intensive?

For artists who are animators also, its a burning question. **My samples below.

https://youtu.be/7QuFmYlpyOg

vince replied 1 year, 1 month ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • philipspace

September 8, 2021 at 2:47 am
    make icon Makes 7
    make icon 74 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Well Vince, it looks to me like you definitely have some video production skills there.

As we have our second anthology coming up soon, would you be willing to donate some of your talents as we work to promote that? I suspect you could come up with a kickass trailer for it.

• vince

September 13, 2021 at 4:35 am
    make icon Makes 0
    make icon 24 Forum Points

hi Philipspace et al,

Hell’s yeah! I’m in! I’d love to do a fun wild motion comic, that’s be great.

Give me the low-down on when you’d need a final product, how long etc.

Let’s get the ball rolling Cheers 🙂

V

• _

September 14, 2021 at 5:26 pm
    make icon Makes 0
    make icon 25 Forum Points

The real issue with motion comics is how to monetize them. But I wish you luck on this Journey

• vince

September 14, 2021 at 9:18 pm
      make icon Makes 0

Truth there for sure, the DIY Crowd Funding route with promo trailers might be an opening to work with fellow comic artists looking to make a splash with their projects.

• redheadeded

Administrator
    October 28, 2021 at 4:58 am
    make icon Makes 6
    make icon 68 Forum Points

Vince,

I was curious after watching your videos and seeing some of your work, how do you define Motion Comics vs. say Motion Graphics? Paper Animation and general animation?

I am interested to know how you market the work, and how you see it from a consumer perspective, is it only video? and who is it made for?

Thanks… I am really interested in this.

D. Alley, the RedheadedEd

• vince

October 28, 2021 at 10:49 pm
      make icon Makes 0

hi D. Alley,

Thank you for diving in a bit with regards to motion comics vs motion graphics.

I guess the basic way I see it is, that ‘motion graphics’ is a catch all form of animation mainly 2D and some 3D that is animation of ..graphic design. From corporate logos, to ESPN football openers, to all the TV identity animation you see. The ‘roots’ if you will of motion graphics are in 2D – flat stuff flying around. As opposed to full lush 3D character, and worlds flying thru space, yadda yadda. Motion Comics, like the beloved rough, jerky Spiderman TV comics of the late 70s is animated comic art material. Which is the sample reel I did online.

I truly believe, that there could be a market to provide the technical savvy of animating motion comic content for self publishers who need jazzy trailers on their Kickstarter campaigns.

I’m juggling multiple dishes in the air myself, from self-publishing my quarterly comic, a graphic novel, calendar art and more. But in the spirit of comic artists networking with similar, somehow it would be cool to make this a commercial offering to others. There are great comic artists, but their are not animators.

I thought I heard you mention you do animation? Digital or cell? I use basically After Effects with Photoshop to scan in and animate, with some fx plug ins and audio too. I’ve added a short IG logo here also. I did a quick CBS fly in sting, for Buddy but way too late before NYCC came up – maybe next year {?}

look forward to your thoughts on this, and where it might lead.

V

• vince

October 28, 2021 at 10:56 pm
      make icon Makes 0

PS: Here’s the 2.5 second comic panel ID video thing I did for Buddy, but it was too late in the game to hack something out in time for the Con.

Maybe if there is a call to spike up the CBS brand, with looping animated graphics on flat screens in the artist alley – ? Who knows, just a thought! Bring a little “Vegas” to the NYCC 😉

V