Forums Forums Main Forum Marvel Multiverse Movies and Disney+ Announced – What Do You Think?

• gdawkins2

July 24, 2022 at 1:32 pm
    make icon Makes 6
    make icon 75 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Marvel was on fire yesterday! I think it’s great that we have so much to look forward to!

• buddyscalera

Administrator
      July 24, 2022 at 7:49 pm
      make icon Makes 8
      make icon 97 Forum Points

Agreed @gdawkins2. They are really showing that they have a long-term vision for these characters. It’s nice to see this kind of planning from Marvel. It gives me hope that they will do these movies and show in the best possible way.

• thesurrealari

July 24, 2022 at 2:19 pm
    make icon Makes 7
    make icon 15 Forum Points

Born Again is one of my favorite Daredevil arcs. I hope that the Disney+ version maintains the grit level of the Netflix show, which is necessary to do that story properly.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
      July 24, 2022 at 7:48 pm
      make icon Makes 8
      make icon 97 Forum Points

If they do Born Again, @thesurrealari, I would hope that they take a Mature Audiences approach. That was pretty edgy stuff when it came out. When they did the Neftflix Daredevil, they gave it an MA label, so that helped free them up for more mature storytelling.

Lets hope they don’t go for PG.

• andyseabert

July 24, 2022 at 3:28 pm
    make icon Makes 7
    make icon 22 Forum Points

Some very exciting announcements. Looking forward to all of them. I have yet to see Thor, but I watched Ms. Marvel with the family and we all enjoyed the series.

• mikedoestheart

Administrator
    July 25, 2022 at 9:35 am
    make icon Makes 6
    make icon 114 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: member icon Forum Scion

I had seen some of this rollout, but hadn’t noticed they added two add’l avengers movies(secret war, what!). This is all very exciting. I do enjoy how they leverage Disney+ to tell some robust storylines. Gives them an opportunity to tell stories that may not otherwise be greenlit for the silver screen. and so far they always hit the money. Exciting!

• philipspace

July 25, 2022 at 12:33 pm
    make icon Makes 7
    make icon 74 Forum Points

I dunno. I keep waiting for the MCU to reboot at some point, which I think it will have to.

On the plus side, there’s some recognizable franchises in there, but at the opposite end there’s some that the non or former comics readers are simply not going to recognize. It seems like the expectation is currently that the “Marvel” brand alone should sell people on these shows, and all that’s going to lead to is diminishing returns. Marvel = Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, the Hulk, (the X-Men!!), etc. in the minds of the viewing public. Why should anyone care about a third or fourth-string character like Ironheart? Does anyone? What is more, is there even a monthly book to tie that into for fans to become invested in?

While Disney+ basically requires that the Marvel properties have a continuing slate of content coming through the pipeline for subscribers, the problem is that the demand for content is leading to a glut of quantity, but not a surplus of quality. This will not help the brand in the long-term, which is problematic for anyone who actually cares about the characters and stories that these shows are derived from in the first place. What is more, with the stock market on a see-saw currently, what’s to stop the House of Mouse from pulling the plug on any ten of these at any given time (a la Netflix) as a cost-cutting measure?