Forums Forums Main Forum LEARNING > Writing Live Chat – My Writing Hero

• LEARNING > Writing Live Chat – My Writing Hero

mywritinghero updated 1 year, 1 month ago 10 Members · 32 Posts
  • buddyscalera

Administrator
    April 24, 2020 at 5:28 am
    make icon 103 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Official thread to discuss our educational live chat event. “Story Circle: How to Craft a Plot That Keeps Your Readers HOOKED” hosted by Comic Book School Council Member Cathy Kirch of https://mywritinghero.com/.

DATE: Friday 4/24/2020
    TIME: 8:00 – 9:30 EST
    COST: Free
    INVITE & DETAILS: https://calendar.google.com/event?action=TEMPLATE&tmeid=NnIyNnFjNzVkcmg2dGJ0NG4ycjduamphZDggN2N0OGRsajBrNWE4ZWFjbGt0cXZuaHVxcjhAZw&tmsrc=7ct8dlj0k5a8eaclktqvnhuqr8%40group.calendar.google.com

You will be able to ask questions and make comments in this forum, which will be moderated by @mywritinghero.

• kpei137

April 24, 2020 at 5:39 am

When writing a story do you come up with the title first and the create the plot after or do you work on the plot first and then the title last?

• mywritinghero

April 24, 2020 at 9:13 pm
    make icon 70 Forum Points

@Kpei137 I’m of the mind that you come up with the title when you come up with the title.

No two writers’ processes are exactly alike, at least in my observation. For me, I tend to come up with a title after I’ve been working on a piece for a while, as it usually draws on a particular line or concept that only comes up after I’ve been drafting. But I also know other writers who use the title as a springboard into an idea – for them, the title comes before just about anything else.

It’s useful to keep in mind that you only really need a title when you’re sharing a finished product with other people, so it’s okay if you don’t have one (or if you have a “working title”) right away. Sometimes it’s fun to share a draft with readers and brainstorm ideas for titles with them, too! But if you find it useful to have a title to build momentum on a project, there’s nothing wrong with that, either. The most important thing, to me as a writer, is not letting one detail keep me from writing – I know that I can always come back and change things later.

Does that help?

• mywritinghero

April 24, 2020 at 9:23 pm

I’m really excited about tonight’s workshop!

Here is a link to a short guide on the Story Circle: https://bit.ly/story-circle-guide
    Once you enter your info, you’ll get the PDF in an email. (You’ll also be subscribed to the My Writing Hero newsletter, where I share other writing tips/advice/inspiration, but you can of course unsubscribe at any time!). You may find it useful to download the guide before the workshop, but don’t worry if you don’t get a chance to do so. If you have any issues getting the guide, please let me know!

In the meantime, please feel free to post any questions you have about plotting (can be related to the story circle or not). I’d also love to hear where you’re at in your plot creation so I can tailor the workshop to what folks are working on right now!

Write on!

• kpei137

April 24, 2020 at 9:49 pm

@mywritinghero this does help because I have been stuck on a title for the longest time but I guess I should write the story first and then see if there is a recurring theme and then base the title off of that recurring theme. thanks for the advice

• jojabarker

April 25, 2020 at 4:59 am
    make icon 66 Forum Points

Having a bit of trouble joining the Google Meet

I’m in!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  jojabarker.
  • mywritinghero

April 25, 2020 at 5:00 am

I’m on the “waiting to be let in” page myself!

• artsmermaid

April 25, 2020 at 5:40 am
    make icon 69 Forum Points

Here’s that playlist, Trope Talks, that I mentioned in the chat: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDb22nlVXGgcljcdyDk80bBDXGyeZjZ5e

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  artsmermaid.

• mywritinghero

April 25, 2020 at 7:00 am

Thank you so much for joining me for tonight’s workshop!

Here is a link to the slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/16qwuN0OUuRkjuq5OrCa0SKOr1eyqGo-gqAT25mYx5wE/edit?usp=sharing
    The link is view only, so feel free to “make a copy” and save it into your own drive. This probably goes without saying, but please do not distribute this slide deck widely without asking. 🙂
    If you want this in a more digestible size and format, here’s the link to the pdf guide again: https://bit.ly/story-circle-guide

I’ll be posting the link/time for our first “office hour” soon, but in the meantime: What did you take away from the workshop? I’d love to hear what you’re working on!

• jarrod-elvin

April 25, 2020 at 7:38 am

Thank you Cathy for your presentation. I found it quite informative!
    I went back and matched up my plot with your story circle, and I was pleased to discover that it matches up perfectly! -Right down to each page fitting in to each point of the circle exactly!
    I will now go on to do that exercise you supplied.
    Best regards,
    Jarrod.

• jarrod-elvin

April 25, 2020 at 7:41 am

Here is my story circle form filled out with my plot (In an acceptable file size!)

• mywritinghero

April 26, 2020 at 6:10 am

@Jarrod Elvin Awesome!! I’m guessing you were somewhat “inspired” by current events? 😉 Although space virus sounds a lot cooler than what we’ve got.

Excited to see what you find with the exercise – I bet there could be some rad visual parallels with this story.

• jojabarker

April 26, 2020 at 10:57 am
    make icon 66 Forum Points

Thank you again, Cathy a.k.a. @mywritinghero!

What did you take away from the workshop?

The importance of “Keeping It Simple”:
    I always found myself trapped in the proverbial, ENDLESS sandbox.
    You helped me remember that through structure comes freedom.

Again, appreciate the resources and look forward to seeing ya ’round the schoolyard!

• thesurrealari

April 26, 2020 at 8:10 pm
    make icon 59 Forum Points

Thank you Cathy @mywritinghero

One issue that came up during the session was non-linear stories like Pulp Fiction. Here is a video that explains how Pulp Fiction fits the Campbell archetype. The terminology is a bit different since it uses Campbell, not Harmon, but both archetypes use the circle, and the Harmon circle is based off Campbell.

http://www.kalbashir.com/screenwriting/Film-Pulp-Fiction-(1994).html

• thesurrealari

April 26, 2020 at 8:15 pm

Also, apropos to the discussion of tragedy and tragic endings, here is the worksheet on Classical Tragedy that I use with my classes. It is based on Aristotle’s poetics. You will notice that the there are clear reflections in the various stages, for example the fall is directly caused by the Hamartia, and the anagnorisis (or recognition) is where the growth occurs, but it happens too late to change the outcome.

• thesurrealari

April 26, 2020 at 8:18 pm

@mywritinghero, to answer your question, my biggest takeaway was the idea of actually folding the paper in half to see the parallels between the various stages. I like that idea a lot, and definitely am going to use it both in my own practice and in the writing classes that I teach.

• maryamsmarkers

April 26, 2020 at 8:34 pm
    make icon 71 Forum Points

Thank you both, Cathy and AA Rubin for all these great resources. Much appreciating your giving us such amazing direction. I’ll use both to edit my writings for today’s deadline. We have until 11:59 pm, right?

• krisburgos

April 26, 2020 at 11:21 pm
    make icon 62 Forum Points

@mywritinghero
    I missed the live workshop, but I got a hold of all the materials and wanted to thank you for the knowledge! Sorry, I missed it, but your slideshow and info packets are great descriptors and very nicely put together. Thanks again!

• krisburgos

April 26, 2020 at 11:24 pm

@thesurrealari
    A set of props to you too sir, for adding on that page Tragedy.

• krisburgos

April 26, 2020 at 11:50 pm

A question for everyone…
    As it pertains to this Circle Story method of analysis/writing/plotting, is the reader more inclined to be invested in the STORY or the (main) character(s)? Personally, I’m more invested in seeing how a story plays out and I know that I’ll ENJOY it more if the characters are solid. I also think that if the story sucks in the first place, it doesn’t matter how amazing characters are, I’m probably not going to like it (which I believe explains my dislike of sit-coms). However, I feel that most people nowadays are the opposite and my reason for this is due to the fact that most (American) audiences can’t handle the sad/tragic ending anymore.

If the character goes through their arc following the method stated (circle), but the overall story doesn’t have a “pleasing” ending (hero wins/saves the day) I’ve found that many people are not fans of the story overall.

What are everyone’s thoughts?
    (If you can’t tell from my own plot, I have zero problem with the unhappy ending)

Viewing 1 - 20 of 32 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now