Forums Forums 8-Page Challenge #2 8-Page Challenge #2 > Step 1 > Story Ideas Last warning: The flight of Philippides

• Last warning: The flight of Philippides

• ASAP

March 24, 2021 at 9:32 am
    make icon 18 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Humanity has finally reached the stars, but as we reached the expanse, we’ve brought with us our sins and vices.

In the furthest reaches of human space, a group of explorers orbit an uninhabited alien world with the hopes of establishing a new colony.

Without warning, their ship is attacked by an unknown force, leaving only a single survivor. This survivor hides aboard a damaged escape pod, with a barely functional FTL drive, and must race back to human-controlled space through an unknown void to warn humanity about an impending invasion that they may not be able to stop.

Background:

This story is going to be a sci-fi space version of the Ancient Greek fable of Phillippides, the soldier who survived the Battle of Marathon and raced on foot to Athens to report the victory. In this version, the role is slightly altered in that the protagonist is the sole survivor of an attack and must race ahead of an invasion force to warn his people.

Story beats:

Given that this story will be 8 pages, the beats will be fairly simple, and I want the panels to capture a sense of isolation.

• Establish the survivor and his crew and the hope of setting up a new colony

• The explorers’ ships are suddenly attacked before they could land on the colony by an unknown force

• The survivor manages to board the only remaining escape pod but is damaged during the escape. Long-range communication is down and fuel and rations are limited.

• In his attempt to escape, the survivor makes a risky maneuver through an unknown section of space that could allow him to overtake his attackers, hopefully buying him some time to reach Earth/Human Space

• The survivor spends a lot of time alone with little food and water, slowly going stir crazy

• An unknown alien ship appears near him, fearing this could be a scout ship, he turns off engines, life support, and vents his atmosphere to cool down the ship, hoping he isn’t spotted. This maneuver helps him go undetected but risks his life and possibly his mission.

• The survivor manages to reach human space and broadcast his message, only to die from exhaustion, mirroring the fable of Phillippides who died upon reaching Athens.

• The message is received and humans are able to repel the invasion, and the survivor is later enshrined in human legend.

• mikedoestheart

Administrator
    March 24, 2021 at 7:26 pm

I like the concept for this story overall, I can visualize it already – can’t wait to read more.

Where are you imagining the parallels with this story to the ‘Time Inn’ theme we’ve got going? I’m guessing when he returns he’s in a different time period?

• ASAP

March 25, 2021 at 1:56 am

I actually never considered that tie-in. I assumed this challenge was just to do a self-contained story.

In mine, he dies at the end, lol

• jojabarker

March 28, 2021 at 10:40 am
    make icon 66 Forum Points

Great to see you jumping on, @ASAP! Enjoying this concept and funny enough I’m interested in teaming up as a penciller (got some technological setbacks, so in addition to doing everything analog gonna also need inker, colorist, letterer, etc.)

Here’s some sci-fi samples https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jb1dIfE3zgEcx48_D3HO_TedKLhl8424?usp=sharing

And my “main” portfolio https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13d-V6UG3om5oqairncA8R0O8rP1zk_V7?usp=sharing

I personally love the classics, especially contemporary takes on ’em! I think that’s why series like ODY-C and KILL 6 BILLION DEMONS strike my fancy. Not totally sure if my style will fit this concept, but I’m willing to adapt i.e. experiment ~Kirbyspeed!

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  jojabarker.
    • ASAP

April 7, 2021 at 7:36 am

@jojabarker Dude, I’m excited that you’re here too. Love how your art has been progressing over the years and I’d love to work with you on this (or any other project).

I think some of your sci-fi-oriented sketches work well with my style, so I think that can work.

Let’s link up.

• redheadeded

March 29, 2021 at 3:51 am
    make icon 66 Forum Points

Hey @ASAP ,

Welcome to the challenge! You story is great but I’m with Mike, I don’t see the theme that we are working with this year “Time Inn” in your story? I’m sure there is a way to work it in if you look for it.. but the story is very compelling, I’m looking forward to how to show/tell the audience the ailens are hot on his trail but he’s still stir crazy being alone in the ship.

For more details on the prompt and this years rules/guidelines make sure you read Buddy’s instructional blog posts on the Comic Book School forum. The can really help you to understand the different level’s and asks of each step in the challenge.

Step #0 – Orientation : https://www.comicbookschool.com/8-page-challenge-2-step-0/

Creative Promp : thttps://www.comicbookschool.com/creative-prompt-8-pg-challenge-2/

Step #1 – Story ideas : https://www.comicbookschool.com/step-1-create-story-idea-8-page-challenge-2/

Looking forward to seeing what’s next!

D Alley, the Redheadeded

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by  redheadeded.
    • This reply was modified 7 months ago by  redheadeded.
    • ASAP

April 7, 2021 at 7:40 am

Thanks for the reply. I’ll review the notes and see what I can do to see if the story can be re-worked.

If it can’t be reworked, I’ll see if I can come up with something new within the guidelines or maybe just hold off on submitting this until the next challenge.

Again, thanks for the feedback!

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now