Forums Forums 8-Page Challenge #2 Introduce Yourself

• jojabarker

March 27, 2021 at 11:43 am
    make icon 66 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

First off, congratulations to y’all on completing Panel ONE! Looking forward to jumping onto Panel TWO, but as an artist this year. My name is Joel J. Barker and when I first met Buddy & Co. I considered myself to be solely a writer. Yet, after this last year of fiddling around the proverbial sandbox I realized it’s time to really put myself out there! I’m looking to team up for linework only because of my limited technological resources. All my pencils will be analog. Here’s my current portfolio https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13d-V6UG3om5oqairncA8R0O8rP1zk_V7?usp=sharing so if there’s anyone still in need of a pair up, and interested to go for a comicstrip feel I hope to be your guy! P.S. I also want to help wherever I can on the backend of this year’s anthology, so don’t hesitate to reach out (I’m willing to learn, even on a steep curve). Kirbyspeed!

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  jojabarker.
  • ProjectThanatos

March 30, 2021 at 5:42 am
    make icon 20 Forum Points

Hey everyone! This is my third attempt at an intro. Seems the forums eat up any post that gets edited.

My name is Andres Avila and I am a writer and artist. This is my first year participating in the challenge and I’m collaborating with @mikedoestheart on “Bittersuite”.

I’ve been an avid comic fan since childhood and am looking forward to seeing our stories joining the format. I’ve long written campaigns and stories for over 20+ years for tabletop gaming. From deep lore filled characters to almost decade long custom campaigns. I love world building and working on the nuances of character backstories.

• Glen

April 1, 2021 at 6:46 am

Hi, I’m Glen Gottilla and I am a writer. I am looking to work with other writers, artists, inkers (I promise not to bring up Chasing Amy with you, EVER I promise), colorists, letterers, and editors. Over the next few years I am looking to publish a creator own book via crowd funding and then maybe submit it to one of the independent publishers. My favorite genres are Science Fiction and horror. I sort of enjoy fantasy and I tolerate the superhero genre. That said, I am always looking for a challenge.
    I want to work with an artist on the flash fiction part of this anthology, I have been flirting with writing straight up prose and this would be a good opportunity to work on something along those lines. I have an idea involving a T-Rex and stranded space colonists.
    here are two links to some of the projects I have
    This a script I submitted to a creator connection anthology that was put on indefinite hiatus back in the winter of 2019
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/16xucYNC7MSlZKVinOWhODu-fYHHEyGZd/view?usp=sharing

This is the detailed pilot outline from the pitch I sent to Oni Press during their open submission call in 2015.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4rhREWPiW3zaV93YVJzcEFsWTEtRWk4WkhCdFVPejZPbERR/view?usp=sharing

• andresbriano

April 3, 2021 at 2:10 pm

Loved the Chasing Amy reference, but I wonder how many other people got it. XD

• andresbriano

April 3, 2021 at 2:06 pm

Hi one and all, My name is Andrés, I am a writer / letterer, and amongst my published works, there’s “Twilight of the Gods Prophecy” in Panel 1, the first Anthology.

Right now I have another anthology live on Kickstarter called Monster Mashup Volume 2 (http://kck.st/3visglg) where I also have a story (“Bells of Notre Dame”). I have also helped edit this book. Check it out! Trivia: Buddy wrote the foreword for the book. 😉

I live in Paris, France, but I was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina. My day job is being a Project Manager for a Kiwi software company. I have 2 (gorgeous) daughters, aged 8 and 5.

Even though I have not submited a story for this anthology, I’m here to help anyone in need. If there are any artists out there who need help with their story, I’m your man. I can also provide feedback or letter your comic. Just hit me up. I’m keen to give back to this marvelous community that has done so much for me.

Go make comics!

• XanderXero

April 13, 2021 at 10:20 am
    make icon 18 Forum Points

hello. i just copy-pasted my “introduce yourself” thing from the one i did earlier from another thread. i’m playing catch up. i just found you guys today ad i have a ton of stuff to read in this site.

Hello. I just watched that hour long youtube video and I got the feel of the people running this project so now I think I need to introduce myself.

My name is Xander Xero and I create stuff. My doodles are all over my social media. I jump from one medium to the next: acrylic, oil, watercolor, tattoos, inks, digital. Jack of all trades, master of none My first love has always been comic books though. I remember making them in the first grade when I couldn’t wait one whole week for the next episode of my favorite super sentai show- so I make up my own stories and draw comic books about them.

I do feel like I’ve come to this party late though so <a class=’bp-suggestions-mention’ href=’https://create.comicbookschool.com/members/buddyscalera/’ rel=’nofollow’>@buddyscalera , you might recieve tons of emails from me asking you questions. I am going through the whole site at the moment to get my answers though.

@MisterAnderSiN saying “we are not competing against each other, we are competing against our own selves” and @redheadeded ‘s “when the tides rise up, every ship rises up” did inspire me and made me think that this community is out to help out each other.

Thanks! See you guys around the forums!

• philipspace

April 13, 2021 at 9:20 pm
      make icon 69 Forum Points

Welcome all!

I agree <a class=’bp-suggestions-mention’ href=’https://create.comicbookschool.com/members/xxfiasco/’ rel=’nofollow’>@XanderXero , this community is here to help one another. There are a couple of writers still looking for artists, so I suggest looking around the story forums to see if anything grabs your attention.

Writers, if you need an artist, you need to ask someone.

Reach out, the artists don’t bite. Well, usually not. Pitch your story, see if they bite that. The truth is that it’s a lot easier for an artist to find a writer than the other way around. Don’t be an internet wallflower. Be BOLD if you want your story made!

• redheadeded

April 13, 2021 at 10:14 pm

Philip, you rock,

I couldn’t agree more there are a ton of people in this community that are looking to create great work, but they won’t know who you are if you don’t read the comments and post back! or heck, make your own comment!

Come on peoples; Let’s make some comics!

D Alley, the Redheadeded.

• XanderXero

April 14, 2021 at 12:57 am
    make icon 18 Forum Points

😆 “i dont bite…hard” i forgot where i heard that first.

lol “internet wallflower”. i’m so opposite. i talk so much shit online and boring in real life

• ChrisDurston

April 23, 2021 at 6:23 pm
    make icon 19 Forum Points

Hey, folks. I’m Chris, known to A. A. Rubin via his work in Skullgate Media’s anthology Under New Suns.

I’ve written a comic that’s currently in production, but I don’t have any existing comic-related work to show, I’m afraid! I’m terrible at art, but I like to think I’m at least, like, half-okay at writing, so I guess I’m here hoping I might find an unattached Art Person to team up with.

I think that’s all I need to do at this stage? I suck at reading and following instructions, so if there’s more I’m supposed to be doing right now… uh, sorry about that! 😀

• thesurrealari

April 23, 2021 at 6:39 pm
    make icon 59 Forum Points

Hey Chris,

Welcome aboard. We’re so happy you’ve decided to join us.

• OSTBear

April 24, 2021 at 6:30 pm

Hi! I’m Darius Bearguard and A. A. Rubin demanded I come here or he would burn my house to the ground. I think. I dunno. But I worked with him before and it was a pleasure to do so!

I have been published in two anthologies and am presently working on two novels simultaneously which is so… So dumb. In my real life job I work with special needs kids and adults!

Anyways, that’s me!

• thesurrealari

April 24, 2021 at 6:47 pm

Welcome aboard, <a class=’bp-suggestions-mention’ href=’https://create.comicbookschool.com/members/ostbear/’ rel=’nofollow’>@OSTBear . Are you planning on writing comics or flash fiction?

• LateNiteScholar

April 25, 2021 at 10:41 am
    make icon 17 Forum Points

Hey everyone, I’m Emily. I also came over here from Under New Suns. I have no comic experience other than reading them, so I’m here for the flash fiction.

I every now and then add stuff over here: https://emilyaansell.wordpress.com/, but I’m mainly on twitter at LateNiteScholar.

• thesurrealari

April 27, 2021 at 4:48 am

Welcome Emily. If you have not already, introduce yourself and your pitches (when you’re they’re ready) in the Flash Fiction forum, and consider joining the writers group, “Mightier Than the Sword”.

• Ted

April 26, 2021 at 5:58 am
    make icon 17 Forum Points

My name is Ted Vician. I got introduced to this by thesurrealari on Twitter, where I am @StinkenderKase. I’m trying to learn how to write speculative fiction and I often learn best by working with others. I’m strictly a writer, as my artistic skills are those of a primate gripping a pen with his feet.

If you have technology questions for your stories, hit me up. In my day job, I build lasers and military sensors like infrared and radar systems.

• thesurrealari

April 27, 2021 at 4:47 am

Great to have you aboard, Ted. If you have not already, check out the Flash Fiction forum, and consider joining the Writers Group as well.

• GothkGrafx

April 27, 2021 at 11:26 am
    make icon 19 Forum Points

Hi. Names Anthony Pearce. I’m primarily a screenwriter/production designer for film/tv/games etc. but comics have always been my true love. I go way back with Buddy who dragged me here, so anything I create for this is his fault.

I’m coming into this a little late to the game (guess this started 1st week of Feb), so I may not be on quite the same schedule as some of the other creators (in terms of stages) but I’m used to far worse deadlines.

I’ve worn all the various creative hats one wears while making comics so I’m currently proceeding as if I need to wear them all on my project here. That said, I’m totally open to collaborators handling letters or colors on my story. If not, I’ll manage it myself.

Anyone interested in seeing my art can check samples out at https://www.deviantart.com/gothkgrafx/gallery.

• Justin

April 27, 2021 at 10:18 pm

Hey everyone. My name is Justin and I write fiction and poetry, mostly speculative fiction like scifi and fantasy genres. I’m the founder and editor of a new speculative lit mag called Black Cat Magazine. I’ve never done a comic before but I have plenty of ideas and this opportunity seemed really exciting. It seems I’m late to the game so if I’m unable to find a team then I totally understand.

• Soph

April 29, 2021 at 1:41 am

Justin, just looked at your magazine, and it looks AMAZING. So exciting to see a new lit publication up and running, especially one run by so many awesome queer folks. I’d love to talk about the process of starting something like that up some time if you’d be interested! And would be super excited to chat about comic ideas, although I’m mainly on board as a writer 😅

• Justin

April 29, 2021 at 6:08 pm

Hey Sophie, thanks for checking out the magazine. We’re excited to publish our first issue this summer! I’d be thrilled to chat about comic ideas with you. It’s cool that you’re mainly here wishing to write. Maybe we can find an artist and collaborate on the story or something. Or you could draw if you end up being inspired. Either way I’d be happy to chat about story ideas!

• Justin

April 29, 2021 at 7:07 pm

Here are the three ideas I pitched. But I’m open to other ideas too!

Theme – The Time Inn
        Idea #1:
        (Portal Fantasy) An inconspicuous roadside inn on the central Oregon coast is actually a portal hub on the interdimensional superhighway.

Idea #2:

A recently deceased anarchist discovers that they’ve made it into heaven. The only problem is that heaven is an authoritarian dictatorship that is ruled over with an iron fist.

Idea #3:

(SciFi) Androids in the hotel industry are fed up with the way humans treat them and go on strike. Their demands: more autonomy and dignity at work.

• thesurrealari

April 30, 2021 at 6:55 am

Justin,

It sounds like you’d be perfectly suited for the Flash Fiction challenge. Head over to that forum and check it out. That challenge is just getting started, so you wouldn’t be starting behind. (You’re welcome to do a comic as well, just wanted to let you know about the flash fiction option.)

• Soph

April 29, 2021 at 1:35 am

Hi there! My name is Sophie, and I’m a writer and occasional comics illustrator. I have worked with artists Ceili Ecker (https://ceiliecker.com) and Sarah A. Conner (https://sarahaconnor.wixsite.com/portfolio) on webcomics in the past, including Long Road Till Nightfall, a comic on webtoons, and Walk the Blackriver (WIP Title), coming soon to Webtoons. I also write short stories, novels, and do character illustration in my own time.

My preferred genres are fantasy and science fiction, and I like to work on emotional, character driven stories with fun and diverse casts. I’m not sure yet if I’ll be roping in an artist friend to work with for this project or not, so if you’re looking for a writer to pair up with and like the same genres, feel free to reach out or ask for a sample of my writing!

• reocruzmd

May 14, 2021 at 7:12 am

Hi. My name is Reo. I stumbled upon this Comic Book School website while searching for comic book submission guidelines. While here, I saw this 8-page anthology challenge and I was intrigued so I decided to join the forums. I’m not really a writer but I do have some story ideas. I draw more but I wouldn’t consider myself an artist. I hope it is not too late to join. Thank you.

• kpei137

May 14, 2021 at 7:24 am

hey welcome aboard, it’s not too late to join the flash fiction part of the challenge because that just started on friday of last week. post your ideas in the 8 page challenge #2 and look for a flash fiction tab and start posting your ideas and see if a writer will join you. I would offer my services to help write but I am doing the 8 page challenge and I am leaving in a month and won’t be back until september so it would be unfair to you.

• reocruzmd

May 14, 2021 at 6:35 pm

Got it. Was hoping to do the comics though. In any case will just take a look at the flash fiction part and see if I’m up to it. Thanks!

• kpei137

May 14, 2021 at 6:37 pm

you probably can still join the 8 page challenge for the comic’s side, if you work quick enough you can catch up because everyone right now is at the pencil stage of the challenge

• redheadeded

May 19, 2021 at 11:46 pm

Hey @reocruzmd

We are a networking site and while many of us are involved in the 8 page challenge which runs from Mid April to Late June, that doesn’t mean we don’t have a bunch of talented writers out there still doing other comics. Feel Free to reach out and connect on the main forums with other Writers and creators if you have ideas you want to make and need people to work with you as a team or just for critic.

And welcome!

D. Alley, the Redheadeded

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  redheadeded. Reason: yup, you guessed it LINE SPACING
  • Christoff_RDGZ

May 24, 2021 at 4:21 pm
    make icon 14 Forum Points

Greetings from Spain!

This is Christoff, I posted something previously at Flash Fiction but, to be honest, I’m way more keen on the 8-Page Challenge! I might have an idea for that, which differs from my other post…

I would love to have a little spot at the upcoming anthology and I’m wondering if someone could feel interested in teaming up with me 😀

I’m open to almost all kinds of genres, from Fantasy and Sci-Fi to Horror, if there are bits and pieces of less known mythologies or paranormal stuff, even better.

Feel free to drop me a line anytime, cheers!

• Glen

May 25, 2021 at 5:54 am

Hey Chris whats up I am doing a flash fiction story that flirts with the paranormal. It’s about how tabloids in America used be about Dead celebrities, Big Feet and other cryptid creatures were in the headlines before the tabloids started doing stories about trashy celebrities. In my story 3 of those creatures are finally cornering one of these reporters. This is a 1st draft and when I was writing this I was in a “John Dies at the End” frame of mind (both book and movie). Let me know what you think and if you’d interested in doing the art work for this.

Thank for reaching out.

Best way to get a hold of me
      https://www.facebook.com/GlenTGottilla

@Glenthegottilla is my twitter handle.

Here is the story:

Consequences of Journalism and the Changing Times..
      By Glen T. Gottilla

It’s was once called the Lil’ Ale’ Inn, but now it will be known as the Time Inn. This happened because the new owners loved time travel movies and hated aliens. The regulars knew this and everyone else didn’t care. Noah, looked at this sign then entered the dive bar expecting to see UFO nerds, bikers, and desert trash. This was Nevada after all. Everyone looked at Noah with shock as he walked slowly, looking for his friend. “Hey Dr. Zayas, over here big guy!” a familiar voiced call to him.
      Noah sighed and then looked over at middle aged biker who was staring. Noah make eye contact with him and said “What! you never say a Sasquatch sigh before?”
      The semi-shocked biker replied “Nope.”
      Noah lifted his hairy arm and said “Get out of here”
      He lumber to the bar and found his friend. Noah spoke “Aaron, I thought I told you not to call me that! Would you like it if I called you Elv-“
      A thin arm in a yellow jacket reached up and a hand covered the Sasquatch’s mouth. “Don’t you dare call me that. I am just his clone” Arron replied.
      The bartender a redheaded twenty something smiled then said “I thought you looked like an Elvis impersonator”
      Aaron snapped his head over to her, giving her a good look at his pouty lips, black hair and icy blue eyes.
      “Clone” he corrected her.
      Noah, the Bigfoot sat next to Aaron and introduced himself “Sorry my friend is sensitive. But, he is actually the Clone of Elvis Presley and I am Bigfoot”
      He held a hand out to the bartender “pleasure to meet you?”
      “Jane, I am Jane. Would you like a drink?”
      Jane tried to shake Noah’s hand. It was much bigger than hers. “No, well not yet” Noah replied, “We’re waiting for a friend,”
      “Who?”
      “Barry, he was also known as the Wambat kid” Noah said
      “Kid my ass, he is 32” Aaron interjected.
      A four-foot-tall round figure wearing jeans and hoodie walked up to Aaron just to push him into the bar. “why do you have to be such a dick (or jerk) Aaron”
      “Easy buddy I am teasing” Aaron replied.
      The figure flipped back the hood to reveal a face that was a perfect combination of a bear and groundhog.
      “You must be the Wombat Kid” Janes said with amusement in her voice.
      “Please call me Barry” said the Wombat Kid said as he handed her his license. “Beer please” Jane looked at his id, “Wow you are 32” she mused.
      “Wombat Man, makes me sound like a superhero” he patted his sides and confessed “and I am not built like one”
      Jane handed him back his license and went to get him a beer
      “Don’t be so hard on yourself. You’re pretty cute” Jane said while she worked the tap.
      “See Aaron, I am pretty cute!” Barry said triumphantly.
      Jane finished up pouring Barry’s beer then asked all three one question “So why are you guys all here? Because this feels like a bad joke.”
      All three of them gave her the annoyed side eye, if this was joke none of them found it funny.
      Jane gave Barry his beer then said “Or not”
      Noah looked at the bartender and then explained “The Truth is we were all at one point the biggest tabloid stars on Earth”
      “and then we weren’t and now it sucks” Barry finished.
      Aaron chimed in with “Me and Noah over here hated it, we got no peace from this entire episode. Barry on the other hand loved it.”
      “It’s been a decade and we were no longer gracing the covers of these rags and we want to know why?” Noah continued.
      Jane looking at them and then asked “What will that accomplish?”
      “Someone to blame and sue for the royalties” Aaron chimed in then said “..and now we have a name. J. Nolan Kirkland, he was the ‘journalist’ who stalked us all.”
      “We heard he haunts this place and we are here waiting for him” Barry said as he slammed the glass on to bar.
      “Haunts, funny word guys” said a sullen looking middle aged man with pale skin, brown eyes and graying mustache. The trio looked at him and Aaron said “It’s him!”
      Kirkland shrugged his shoulder and then said solemnly “Yes it’s me, and sorry I stalked you guys. I should have contacted you guys and made it legal. But it won’t matter the tabloid is out of business and then I had my heart attack”
      Noah said “I am sorry”
      Arron also said “Hey man I am sorry too.”
      Barry looked at Kirkland and asked “Really, I thought they’re making money off celebrities?”
      “No” Kirkland sadly said, “Haven’t you boys heard, Print is dead.”

He reached for Barry’s glass only to have his hand pass through it. “Yeah print is dead and so am I,” He sobbed.

• Christoff_RDGZ

May 25, 2021 at 3:18 pm
        make icon 14 Forum Points

Hello Glen,

Nice to meet you! My friend, I’m sorry to disappoint you since I’m just a writer… I would love to be able to illustrate your story cause it sounds really cool but, unfortunatelly, I can’t.

It is nice to connect with you, though! I’m already following you at Twitter 🙂

Greetings from Spain,

-Christoff

• Glen

May 26, 2021 at 8:11 am

No worries, take it as me ‘showing off’. That is my idea, let me know what you think and maybe you feel like sharing your ideas.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  Glen.
  • izmoney10000

July 5, 2021 at 12:04 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Israel Rodriguez Comic Book and Gaming store owner who in his teenage years had the dream of becoming a comic book artist. After countless trips to Conventions and endless submissions to the BIG Two I never was quite “ready” for the Big Time. “lots of Raw Talent” and “send me some more” were the most common responses and after years of trudging through convention halls with portfolio in hand the need to have a “real Job” was imminent and the dream had to go on hold. But my love for comic books and the influence they had on myself as a young reader has never ended. Therefore I am here to make something happen where as before I would take not getting hired on the spot as a failure, now with age I have come to realize that I don’t need to work for the big two to have worth as an artist I just need to enjoy my gift, and if I never have a book published I will have had the experience and motivation I have been lacking for many years. Thanks everyone at the Comic Book School for giving all of us the opportunity to experiment with the fun that is making comics!

Viewing 21 - 37 of 37 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now