Forums Forums 8-Page Challenge #2 Introduce Yourself

• Introduce Yourself

jarrod-elvin updated 2 weeks ago 19 Members · 19 Posts
  • thesurrealari

February 3, 2021 at 4:12 am

Hi, I am A. A. Rubin. I am editing the anthology along with @redheadeded , and I was the flash fiction editor for the last anthology. I also wrote two stories for the last anthology, “Mr. Stupendous,” a comic story illustrated by @artsmermaid , and “The Duel,” a flash fiction story illustrated by @mikedoestheart .

I am looking forward to meeting everyone who has joined the second challenge, and to reaquaint myself with the returning creatives. Feel free to use this thread to introcuce yourself to the group. Tell us who you are, what you are planning/offering to do (writer/line artist (pencil/ink)/colorist/letterer/etc, and drop some links (if you have them) so that we can learn more about each other and start to form teams.

You can find a lot of my stuff by following the links in my flopage: https://www.flowcode.com/page/aarubin

Looking forward to meeting you all.

• kpei137

February 3, 2021 at 4:51 am

Hey Everyone, My name is Kevin and I am the head of the tech council and I am on the Council of the Willing for Comic Book School. While I missed out on last year’s anthology I am excited to get a jump start on this year’s anthology.

I look forward to seeing everyone around the message boards and like Rob said in the live stream yesterday, don’t be afraid to ask questions about anything that goes on because there are a lot of moving pieces to keep track of.

you can reach me at kevinps41@gmail.com with any questions about anything that goes on and I will be happy to answer your questions.

• mrkylerose

February 3, 2021 at 8:56 am

Hey Everone, I’m Kyle. I’m an art director and cartoonist. I worked on a story for the first Anthology but had to bow out due to an increased workload for my day job (which lead to a little creative burn out). I’m excited to be back in this community and looking forward to contributing to the next issue of the anthology. This time, instead of going it alone, I’m bringing my novelist buddy Dave along for the ride. He should be joining the forums shortly.

I can’t wait to dive inn 😁, get started, and see what everyone comes up with!

• george-dawkins-ii

February 3, 2021 at 8:59 pm

Hey everybody,
    My name is George Dawkins II. I’m the writer of “The Black Knight” from the previous anthology. As a writer, I’ve created my own comics which are available on Amazon as Kindle eBooks under the title “The Desert Fox”. I’m not an artist, so I’ll be looking for artists to work with. You can email me at thedesertfoxcomic@gmail.com, and you can go to this link for more information about my comics: https://desertfoxcomic.weebly.com/issues.html
    Ready to do this again!

• Bauldeury

February 3, 2021 at 9:10 pm

Hello, Bauldeury’s here. I’m an amateur comic maker, and I usually work alone on personnal projects you can see there : https://www.deviantart.com/bauldeury/gallery

I came here for two main reasons : 1) to challenge myself with the ins and outs of working with other people as a team 2) to meet fellow comic-ist, share with others people, and enjoy this experience together.

For this challenge I’m offering to draw (pencil/ink). I don’t mind coloring or lettering, albeit it’s not my main thing.

I’m looking forward to create something fantastic with you ! 😀

• mikedoestheart

February 3, 2021 at 10:29 pm

Hey Everyone! My name is Mike Ponce and I’m one of the new members of the council here, as well as an Illustrator/Inker/Colorist/Letterer & writer coming back for round 2 with the 8-Page Challenge this year :D.
    Last year I was fortunate enough to work with two incredible writers, @thesurrealari with a fun flash fiction piece as well as the incomparable @kris-burgos on an 8-page adventure.

This year, possibly in addition to any collaborative sequels/new team-ups, I'm excited to say that I will also be drawing/inking/coloring/lettering a comic submission co-written by yours truly and my buddy Andres Avila for this year's theme called "The BitterSuite".  

I am looking forward to all the new connections and insights that will be made as we all shape different worlds for this year’s anthology on this forum! You can see my work using the links below, and if you think we’d be a good fit, feel free to shoot me a message.

Portfolio WebsiteInstagram

• C.M.

February 4, 2021 at 6:53 am

Hello, everyone! I’m Chris, I trained as a sculptor but as middle age encroaches I beat myself up for not pursuing, say, technical writing? My influences are terse and Gothic, I suppose, and as many times as I’ve attempted to drive a story from alpha to omega I fizzle out.

I love the medium, I love the potential it holds, I love how a well-told story… makes me feel… and I yearn to contribute someday to the tapestry. I guess I cut my teeth on Jack Kirby, but in maturity I always return to ‘Kingdom Come,’ and ‘Saga of the Swamp Thing’ and ‘Planetary’–

I want to do the work. I want to put words in Superman’s mouth… someday… (yes I trained as an artist, even while I specialized in printmaking and bronze sculpture I did the required 3+ years of drawing courses, but also to me, for me, photography renders representational art less impactful?)

So, right, “curveball, man trained in classical art wishes to learn scripting from ground up.” I’m excited to wade into a pool of like-minded creatives and see what results!

I can be reached at idreaminbronze@yahoo.com, should the need arise. Cheers!

— C.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    February 4, 2021 at 8:45 am

Hey, all. I’m Buddy Scalera. I am the founder of Comic Book School. I’ve written a few books on making comics and have published a few on photo reference for comic artists.

I’m the former editor of Wizard World Online.

I write comics. Some are better than others.

Find me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ComicBookSchool and Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/comicbookschool/

• artsmermaid

February 4, 2021 at 9:45 pm

Hi Guys, my name is Arielle Lupkin. I am an illustrator, storyboard artist, 2D animator, a Production/Design Assistant at Comic Book School, and a member of the Council of the Willing.

Last year, I was the penciler, inker, and colorist for “Mr. Stupendous” with @thesurrealari , as well as made the trailer for the anthology. This year, I can’t wait to work on a new story and to get better at posting to the boards.

All of my work can be found on my website, http://www.artsmermaid.com/, and on my IG @ artsmermaid

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  artsmermaid.
  • sebastianbonet

February 4, 2021 at 10:48 pm

Hi, My name is Sebastian Bonet. I am an illustrator, storyboard artist, sequential artist and animator. I am also a writer, I am dabbling into web design, a podcast producer and professional student. I am 1/3 of the podcast team that makes up the Nerds of the Round podcast and C.B.O. / Showrunner at Inbeon.com.

My fist work included a self published Sci-Fi horror called Dead Planet followed by a brief web short called The Deadline. I helped with the writing for Luckyzilla #20 and did some web comic strips for Wayward Raven Media Damnheros web comic.

You can find some of my illustrations on my instagram @sebastianbonetart. If you need to reach me, I can be reached at sebastainbonetart@gmail.com or sebastian@inbeon.com

• redheadeded

February 5, 2021 at 2:32 am

Hey Everybody!

I’m Dee Alley the Redheadeded, I worked as an editor on Panel 1 and submitted a flash fiction, this time I’m going to submit a full 8 pages. So looking forward to working with everyone on this year’s anthology.

My day job is as a Motion Graphics Freelancer, animator, and illustrator is going to give me more time to be available to everyone here, so if you need help let me know.

Dee Alley,

the Redheadeded

• MisterAnderSiN

February 5, 2021 at 7:00 am

Who is Mr. AnderSiN The UNDERGROUND DEVIL?

I was a kid who was struggling to read and then I discovered comics via a cartoon Pilot for X-Men. At the time, unbeknownst to me, I was struggling due to dyslexia that had gone undiagnosed my entire life to the point, 11 years. Sounds like a little bit of time but when measured against the damage that can be done missing that it was not the finest moment for the NYC Board of Ed. I was at a point where I could not read at a 1st grade level.

Once I saw this Pilot of FREAKS, and feeling ostracized myself for various reasons, I searched out the X-Men and it would have to be done in the pages of comics. So using a Dictionary on one side of a table and comic on the other I taught myself to read one word at a time. My reading comprehension test scores jumped in an almost spider bite sudden transformation way, going from way below average to Technical Books and Scholar works, no kidding. They actually wanted to retest me, and then for next year’s test I scored higher and put that doubt to bed.

That was The POWER of COMICS and the ability to inspire a child. I do not know what I would have wound up in life without comics, no joke. They inspired me to learn and got me to do something that was hard to accomplish but clearly the right motivation proved little is impossible. I still have issues with missing educational blocks due to how I was treated and always joke I will learn phonics with my son when it’s his time to learn it.

That step of using comics to learn to read made my life better. I was just some dumb kid from Queens NYC who was called stupid by teaches and suddenly I wasn’t. Comics were a kind of super source of power for me. One I know brag about with my Comic in KIDS HANDS Movement ( Like the Facebook Page to follow along and Join us at a panel) and preach how Comic can inspire children to read and learn.

So I owe comics for my ability to read and all of my accomplishments of life. I pay that back by being an ADVOCATE for Comics and through Comic Book ADVOCATES.com have ADVOCATED for thousands of creators and in some ways changed things I hope for the better with ADVOCATING tool like Backer Pause that teaches Creators about the Attentions spans of people watching their Crowdfunding Videos.

I myself become a comics book creator who as my Tagline Reads: ‘Mr. AnderSiN is the UNBOXABLE, UNCANNY, COMiX ADVOCATE who will tempt you with his Tales of FETISH MONSTERS and More.’ I am also a founding member of Terraform Comics that will be building a Library for INDEE Comics Creators to be part of Called The Continuum, a series where we have creators submit their works in short story form to build on the biggest INDEE collection of stories ever attempted.

I am at heart a Comic Book Fan. I am proud of all things I created and being able to ADVOCATE for fellow creators but my biggest accomplishment comes from being a Dad and watching my son Jaxx ( who has a Comic about him Called CatDad & SUPERMOM, an EleFart Never forgets, published by Scoot Comics under Scout Comics. ) overcome the hurdles of Autism. That ability to help him comes from my experiences with ADHD, Dyslexia and learning to Read via comics. Without any of that I would not be able to, not just help, but understand the hurdles and have the ability to work with him to accomplish learning the abilities that he will need in life. And Yes I use comics to inspire him and it is working as he now asks to have books and comics read to him instead of ripping them apart. Watching me create his comic inspired him to respect all written words.

Find out more by going too https://mrandersin.website/who-is-mr-andersin/

Mr. AnderSiN is The UNBOXABLE ADVOCATING CREATOR who is the Devilish UNDERGROUND Comic Book Creator who will tempt you with his tales. He has not only Advocates for his Fellow Comic Book Creators with http://Www.ComicBookADVOCATES.combut also for those with Fetishes by telling a powerful story titled Barbara UNLEASHED about The Humanity within those lucky enough to have fetishes. Creator of Both Independent Comics and UNDERGROUND COMIX (Easily followed on BarbaraUnleashed.com.)

All of what the UNDERGROUND DEVIL does is based on His Love for Comics & him Owing Comics his ability to Read and giving him an Escape from the Real World that he hopes to offer to his Readers.

• CVandyke

February 6, 2021 at 10:38 pm

Hi! I’m Chris Van Dyke. I found out about this project from @thesurrealari when he was working as a contributor/collaborator on my recent project/upcoming publication, Tales From The Year Between, Volume 2: Under New Suns (www.yearbetween.com). I’m the founder and president of Skullgate Media (www.skullgatemedia.com), the indie-publisher thats publishing the book. I’m a life-long comic fan and amateur illustrator/cartoonist–about a decade ago I gave doing my own webcomic a go for about a year but couldn’t keep it up with life, kids, work, etc. Currently I’m focusing on my writing–I’d like to team up with my friend Aaron Hockett in to illustrate my submission for this project. I’d also be willing to work with another artist whose looking for a writer. If anyone’s interested let me know! I mostly write sci-fi, fantasy, and weird-fiction, but have written plays, poetry… a little of everything.

• lintzlettering

February 7, 2021 at 2:27 am

Greetings all,

My name is Kevin Lintz and I am comic book letterer. You can see my portfolio at http://www.lintzlettering.com.

I lettered two stories for the last volume, “Punchline” with Kevin Sharp and Danos Philopolous and “Together” with Noah Needle and Gabbie Scanlon.

I am interested in collaborating with other creators to make awesome comics. Let me know if you need a letterer.

• Dave

February 10, 2021 at 6:55 am

Hey All!

Dave Marino here, roped into this comic book world by my friend Kyle Rose. I’m a CPA by day and a fantasy novelist by night, but this will be my first time writing a comic book! Excited to take on some writing duties, and to see what everyone comes up with.

Best of luck,

Dave

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  Dave.
  • krisburgos

February 11, 2021 at 12:54 am

Hey all, my name’s Kris Burgos. I’m a writer and who transitioned from the film & television world to the comic book world.

I’m the current Creative Editor and Content Conjurer of the publishing label Tales Beyond, where I published my first book Runt last year and will be publishing enhanced editions of the stories I wrote for the previous Comic Book School Anthology, Panel One. Teddies was a return to a story I started several years ago while Ragnarok Come is a new title I designed specifically for the Anthology. Both stories are being continued as their own ongoing series under the Tales label.

This year, I’m Project Managing the Panel Two anthology for Comic Book School as well as hoping to produce two new stories for the anthology. Feel free to check out my work at http://talesbeyond.com or reach out!

• jholder12

February 16, 2021 at 3:10 am

Hi all, I’m Jack Holder. I’m a writer, working with @evan-scale on a new piece in our Legends of the Realm. You can find me on twitter @jackholderai

• rakeemnelson

February 18, 2021 at 7:20 am

Hey everyone! Rakeem Nelson is the name. I’m a writer who took part in the first anthology project, but I had to hang up the towel because I couldn’t find a partner in time. I have a short story published in Ahoy Comics’ Ash and Thron issue #2 and I’m hoping to make more comic work.

I’m bringing story ideas to the table and I can help with some of the lettering as well! Super excited to see what everyone else is going to bring to the anthology this year!

• jarrod-elvin

February 22, 2021 at 3:33 pm

Hi, I’m Jarrod, and I am returning to the Comic Challenge because I had a really great experience last year!<div>

I am an Artist/Indie Comic Creator for my business ‘MickMacks’, in which I group my original creations under the name ‘Meatbucket’. I have been drawing, creating comics, animations, and other visual media all my life, and self-publishing my works for a good 15 or so years.

You can check out my website at http://www.mick-macks.com to see my work if you are interested.

Like last year’s challenge, I intend to work solo on my comic as Writer and Artist, which will feature the same characters, the ‘Meatbucket MegaBabes’ in a new episode adventure!

I am really looking forward to being part of this (growing) community again, making a new comic, and also helping out with some graphics for these forums and Comic Book School website!

Best wishes to everyone involved, I hope you all have a great time making awesome comics! I can’t wait to see what’s in store!

Exercise! …I mean… Excelsior! 😜

</div>

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  jarrod-elvin. Reason: Line spacing OCD

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now