Forums Forums Main Forum Howard Chaykin Talent Talk Live – Discussion Board

• Howard Chaykin Talent Talk Live – Discussion Board

curtis1 updated 2 months, 1 week ago 8 Members · 18 Posts
  • buddyscalera

Administrator
    June 5, 2021 at 2:56 am
    make icon 104 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

This will be our place to talk about Howard Chaykin’s Paradigm 1 learning session on Talent Talk Live.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    June 5, 2021 at 5:05 am

And here is the promo code for a discount to Howard’s Part 2 and Part 3 sessions.

$5 off with promo code: LADDER (as they’re climbing the ladder from 1 to 2&3)!

https://www.talenttalklive.<wbr>com/store/howard-chaykin-<wbr>20210611/

https://www.talenttalklive.<wbr>com/store/howard-chaykin-<wbr>20210618/

• evan-scale

June 5, 2021 at 5:12 am
    make icon 15 Forum Points

Great session overall
    I always get too frustrated after courses/lessons I take, trying to figure out how to apply what I’ve learned, but that also means that it gives me new information to improve my work.
    I really loved the “tough love” attitude he has. You know he is going to give whatever feedback he can, in the most straightforward way possible!

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  evan-scale.
    • buddyscalera

Administrator
      June 5, 2021 at 6:23 pm

I agree. Howar’s “tough love” is appropriate for this business, which can be very tough. He shows what kind of study, commitment, and focus it takes to improve your craft and excel in this business.

• evolver

June 6, 2021 at 1:00 am
    make icon 18 Forum Points

I loved the session – definitely learned alot and will definitely be signing up for the other two parts.

• thesurrealari

June 7, 2021 at 1:15 am
    make icon 59 Forum Points

I thought it was an excellent class. He’s very thorough and has a clear theory as to why he does what he does.

From the work that I’ve seen, his practice matches his theory, which is always nice to see.

The structuralist approach was interesting as well.

• artsmermaid

June 7, 2021 at 11:59 pm
    make icon 69 Forum Points

Howard was amazing. He talked in a way that could easily be understood. Understanding what’s being taught has always been an issue for me, but Howard used references to things that I could easily remember. The explanation of the meaning for each panel gave me a good sense of a “formula” that I could use and alter to fit how I want my art to look. Would definitely recommend it.

• thesurrealari

June 8, 2021 at 4:53 am

Here’s something I found interesting, and that I think warrants further discussion:

As a writer, I noticed that Chaykin recommends a much more detailed script, with more direction–especially in terms of layout–than many of our other guests, such as Igle/Pyer.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    June 9, 2021 at 1:59 am

Howard Chaykin makes you want to be a better comic book creator. His session provides specific and detailed insights into optimizing your craft as a storyteller.

• evolver

June 9, 2021 at 11:37 pm
    make icon 18 Forum Points

<font color=”#333333″>To elaborate a bit more … Listening to Howard gave me a good sense of how to think through the problems in sequential storytelling, and where flashy newer conventions need to be discarded in favor of more basic devices that make sure that the story being told works for the medium.
    </font>

• redheadeded

June 10, 2021 at 12:21 am
    make icon 66 Forum Points

Hey Buddy,

First off thanks so much for this class/lesson/session.. thingy. It was AWESOME.

Having the chance to not only hear from Howard Chaykin, but also ask him questions about what he was explaining made the experiance invaulable. I will be attending all three classes to get the most out of each talk. I have been telling anyone who will listen how great it was to have such a small group size that we could each feel included and heard.

Thank you for getting Comic Book School this new opportunity to learn comics from the people who make them, and make them great.

D Alley, the Redeheadeded.

• thesurrealari

June 10, 2021 at 1:04 am

Chaykin’s approach, which is equally structuralist and irreverent, is unique among the myriad or comics professionals teaching today. His class is thorough, well-thought out, and clear. A must for any creator looking to up their game.

• MisterAnderSiN

June 10, 2021 at 2:57 am
    make icon 68 Forum Points

just in case my email is bouncing

“Comics are like a train you can fuck up and move on” ” The negative space is where the creator’s imagination kicks in”

“Left his home safety right is adventure”

“Panel boards are a graphic design that is why the white space is so important”

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    June 10, 2021 at 6:29 am

These are great, thank you. We are compiling a list. @redheadeded is going to make it look good.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    June 12, 2021 at 6:06 am

Team,

Howard Chaykin provided us a complete script for Hey Kids, Comics #1. Thank you to @evolver for reaching out to Howard on our behalf!!

Enjoy the script attached here as an MS Word document.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    June 12, 2021 at 6:30 pm

Here is the link to session #3:

https://www.talenttalklive.com/store/howard-chaykin-20210618/

You can use the same promo code LADDER to get $5 off.

And, yes, you can attend #3, even if you have missed #2.

• curtis1

July 6, 2021 at 11:02 pm
    make icon 20 Forum Points

I think I found this topic too late.

Can I still experience the seminar?

Is there a fee for part 1?

Viewing 1 - 16 of 16 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now