Forums Forums 8-Page Challenge #2 8-Page Challenge #2 > Step 0 > Flash Fiction Got a Paradox of a Pitch (Flash Fiction)

• Got a Paradox of a Pitch (Flash Fiction)

• jojabarker

May 5, 2021 at 10:25 am
    make icon 70 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Name’s Joel, and though working with <a class=’bp-suggestions-mention’ href=’https://create.comicbookschool.com/members/asap/’ rel=’nofollow’>@ASAP on our 8 page Comic as the penciler/artist I didn’t want my writing gears to rust to a complete stop!

[working title] “A Pair of Docks at the Time Inn”

Julian Sinclair is a married business man with children who loves to get away for Memorial Weekend. Get away from the job. Away from the wife, away from the kids. He just wants to escape reality for long enough to “recharge” before hitting the grind again. But, this time his life follows him to his sanctuary. Something is gnawing at him. Some one is lurking around the Time Inn pond, his beloved spot of serenity!

[break]

I’m imagining it to be a thriller, almost King-esque. For me I want to aim for the reader to be left unsure if the other figure at the adjacent dock across the pond is Julian, or that he really is being stalked.

Most of the story will be Julian reflecting on (oo oo oo, anyone familiar with the song Cat’s In The Cradle by Harry Chapin?!?) regret i.e. shoulda-woulda-coulda’s. I’m then envisioning the mysterious figure as some kind of haunt that he’ll never truly ESCAPE a.k.a. a manifestation of his pain until something changes, until he grows: The paradox of resistance to change.

• Ted

May 6, 2021 at 7:38 am
    make icon 20 Forum Points

I like it. Using the time theme to create tension or horror is a good move.

• ASAP

May 11, 2021 at 9:07 am
    make icon 19 Forum Points

Dig it. I kinda have an idea in my minds eye about a spooky shadowy figure lurking just on the edge of his periphery.

Honestly, if the accompanying art piece is going to be a single page, I kind of want to add a few vaguely shady people in the background so the viewer isn’t sure which is a background character and which is our spooky stalker.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now