Forums Forums 8-Page Challenge #2 8-Page Challenge #2 > Step 0 > Flash Fiction Flash Fiction Pitch–Ghosts and Memories

• Flash Fiction Pitch–Ghosts and Memories

• thesurrealari

April 30, 2021 at 6:46 am
    make icon 70 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Hi everyone:

Here is my first idea for the Flash Fiction challenge. I think it fits the theme well, and I hope I can find an artist who is excited by it as well. Let me know what you think.

Idea #1: There Are No Ghosts Here, Only Memories

Told in first person from the perspective of a maid in the Time Inn, the story follows a woman as she makes her rounds through the hotel, cleaning the various rooms, making beds, etc. The themed rooms of the Inn are decorated to match the years on their doors, so room 1954 would look like a typical hotel room from the 1950s, an 1890s room would be Victorian, a 1600s room would not have running water, etc. As the story progresses, she would drop hints that the rooms are not just decorated like their corresponding year, but they actually transport the guests to that era to that particular moment in time, moments frozen, trapped in amber.

At the beginning of the story, she would look at her locket, which depicts her son. The story ends when she goes into the last room, perhaps a room from not that long ago, puts the “do not disturb sign” on the door, picks up the phone, and calls her (now reveled) deceased son, because, for the time that she is in that room, he is still alive.

• jojabarker

May 5, 2021 at 9:45 am

Wow[full-stop]

That ending hit. HARD.

I’m curious what age both maid and (deceased) son are…?

Could even be a really recent death — tragic, even?!

Again, jeez man. Powerful stuff! Kirbyspeed, my friend ~Joel

• thesurrealari

May 6, 2021 at 1:07 am

Thank you, <a class=’bp-suggestions-mention’ href=’https://create.comicbookschool.com/members/jojabarker/’ rel=’nofollow’>@jojabarker

I figure the woman is middle-aged, mid 40’s-mid50’s or so. The son would be late teens to early 20’s.

Would you be interested in illustrating it? I am projecting it to be towrd the upper-end of the limit, so two full-page illstrations.

• jojabarker

May 8, 2021 at 5:41 am

My pleasure, @thesurrealari!

2 full page illustrations…well, that’d be a challenge — but hey! ain’t that what this is all about?!

I’d be fully analog, including coloring (working with colored pencils at the moment).

Then, most likely I’ll have to snail-mail ’em to ya?!

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now