MemberApril 26, 2021 at 6:23 am
Flash Fiction, initial ideas for “Time Inn”
1) Fantasy trope tavern (e.g., the Vulgar Unicorn from Thieves’ World) that is linked to various timelines or travels between them. I think this one would be hard to play straight without attempting to subvert the tropes. Pulling all that off in <1000 words might be difficult.
2) “Time Inn” is a black humor name for a prison. Presumably, there’s a spec fic aspect like the prisoners serve their time at an accelerated rate or something like that. Obviously, something has to happen, like a prison break attempt.
3) A B&B that exists within its own time bubble. Maybe people go there, get stuck, and come back out to a totally different life.
4) It’s a place that exists across space-time. In one incarnation, it’s a pub in London in 1888, so Jack the Ripper enters there and emerges in 1930 L.A. (thus explaining JtR’s disappearance in 1888). Sam Spade ends up chasing him around L.A., maybe with the help of Holmes and Watson, who might walk into the same pub a few years later. Could even spice it up by adding in Dr. Jekyll or having some of the 1930’s gangster looking for Sam end up back in Victorian England (or elsewhere/elsewhen).
5) It’s a place where immortals go to age – to actually feel the passage of time. Anyone could be there, from vampires to Greek and Norse gods.
ModeratorApril 30, 2021 at 6:49 am
Ted, I really like these. Pitches #2 and #5 are my favorites. I like #4 too, but I know I couldn’t pull that off in 1000 words (maybe you can). Good luck.
MemberMay 1, 2021 at 7:37 am
Thanks for the suggestions. I think 2 has my interest right now.
Time Inn is a prison where the inmates are subjected to hyper-metabolism, so they age at a relatively higher rate. The offer is that you get out in less actual time, so you can see your family, but you’re old when you get out and thus, supposedly less dangerous. Of course, there’s always a chance you die from old age or the treatment might be inherently dangerous.
But, you’re ten years older than your wife. You look old enough to be your kid’s grandfather.
Now I’m trying to figure out what the backstory is: is this some sort of medical experiment? If so, why?
Log in to reply.