Forums Forums Writer’s Roundtable Comic Book Writing Competition – Who’s In?

• Comic Book Writing Competition – Who’s In?

Nahuel updated 1 week, 5 days ago 4 Members · 8 Posts
  • Nahuel

August 28, 2021 at 4:46 am
    make icon 20 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Hi Everyone,

I’m Nahuel! I’m an Argentinian comic book writer, screenwriter, and co-founder of Negative Space Comics.

Long story short, Negative Space just launched our first ever comic book writing competition, and our readers can’t wait to read your amazing work!

What we’re looking for — original comic book scripts of any genre, no art included, just your brilliant words. 22-28 page submissions, either a single issue or the beginning of your graphic novel. Our grand prize winner will receive a cash prize and mentorship from 3 industry heavy hitters. We want to help you break in and thrive in this crazy industry we all love.

Check us out: http://www.negativespacecomics.com

Ask me anything, I’m an open (comic) book!

• james-mcgill

September 7, 2021 at 6:31 am

Hey nahuel,

I appreciate the opportunity. But I’m still in a creative slump at the moment. Hopefully if this comes around next year, I will be in a better mind set. I hope others in our group will take advantage though.

James

• Nahuel

September 8, 2021 at 5:39 am

Totally feel you, James — we’ve all been there at some point in our writing journeys. We will be running competitions all year, we’ll be announcing new ones as they come. If you go to http://www.negativespacecomics.com/newsletter you can quickly sign up for our newsletter so you hear about our new competitions as they happen.

And hey, if I can do anything to help the creative slump go away, don’t hesitate to ask 👍🏽

• george-dawkins-ii

September 8, 2021 at 4:50 am
    make icon 70 Forum Points

I’ll do my best to come up with something. Is a specific format required for the script?

• philipspace

September 8, 2021 at 5:15 am
      make icon 69 Forum Points

Looks like the details can be found here:

Competition Details – Negative Space (negativespacecomics.com)

You should definitely throw your hat in the ring @george-dawkins-ii , ditto @psychophipps !

• Nahuel

September 8, 2021 at 5:41 am

Hey George — we’re looking for long-form comic book scripts. So full page-by-page, panel-by-panel, etc. We have a few examples if you go to our FAQs page, but most info is in our Competition Details page, which I see Philip just shared (thanks, Philip!)

• philipspace

September 10, 2021 at 8:53 pm
        make icon 69 Forum Points

One question though, could you explain the cost structure on your submissions graphic?

Is that a prize or cost to submit?

• Nahuel

September 11, 2021 at 8:56 pm

Hey Philip — those are the costs to submit to the competition.

My partner and I are also screenwriters (I write films, she writes TV), so we mirrored this process similarly to a long-standing practice in the entertainment industry. They have so many competitions running throughout the year, all with different incentives, but the structure comes from that world. We hope to get writers submitting earlier rather than later (hence the cheaper cost), so our team’s work of reading scripts and analyzing work can start earlier and it isn’t all jammed into late December (when we expect most people will eventually submit closer to the final deadline). Hope that explains things — let me know if you have any other questions!

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now