Forums Forums Main Forum CBS: Scheduling: Live Events, Guest Speakers and Creators.

• CBS: Scheduling: Live Events, Guest Speakers and Creators.

redheadeded updated 3 months ago 6 Members · 19 Posts
  • redheadeded

February 23, 2021 at 9:12 pm
    make icon 68 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Hello my fellow Comic Book Creators, and aspiring community members.

This thread is going to be for ideas about who we want to hear from in the industy.  A request list, if you will, of guest creators and speakers for each of our steps in the challenage and making comics in general. What are the types of things we'd like to learn more about from people who have done it, are doing it right, and succeding. 

These will be added to the calendar as they are scheduled.

Bare in mind we are not asking to you choose your favorite writer or artist and say “I wanna talk to THAT person” .. we don’t have the perfect celebrity roladex.
    – Think more about what types or professionals we’d like to have on a live chat.

Examples:
    – Can we hear from a person who inks comics traditionally?
    – Is there a Comic Book School contact who could talk about a successfull transition to digital publishing?
    – How about a person that could show us what it is to build a team globally for a best selling comic?
    – Or a person that can talk us through the comic book industry’s reaction to working from home during a global pandemic.

Please be open to the fact that we all know different people, this leaves us all with different mindsets, and knowledge bases. We can help each other out here and and fill in the gaps in this is a place of learning.

So what kind of people do we want to talk to? And what kind of learning do we want to have hosted in this community?

Thanks guys, looking forward to seeing what we all come up with. πŸ˜›
    D Alley, the Redheadeded.

• redheadeded

March 5, 2021 at 4:03 am

Ok well, since nobody is responding my vote is for a character designer.. not just someone who redesigns Batman every four years (although that is interesting.. ) some one who can make orignial character designs and what there thought process is to do so.

Thanks,

D Alley, the Redheadeded

• evan-scale

March 5, 2021 at 5:27 am
    make icon 16 Forum Points

character designer would be a great choice!
    A storyboard artist or something similar (talking about storytelling, composition etc) would be nice too for a later date.

• redheadeded

March 10, 2021 at 12:56 am

Hey @evan-scale ,

Storyboards are normally for animation and films, do you mean a artist that is well versed in page compostion and layout? like the thumbs and roughs and how to lay out a page, 2 page spread or cover? or something else?

I just want to make sure I am understanding the request, Buddy always points out when I’m using animation terms that don’t apply to comics, lol, since that’s my day job. So I am working harder to be clear about what we are asking for.. so please don’t think I’m calling you out. That’s the school bit, you know!

I hope we can get someone to speak on this either way!

D Alley, the Redheadeded

• evan-scale

March 10, 2021 at 3:24 pm

“do you mean a artist that is well versed in page compostion and layout? like the thumbs and roughs and how to lay out a page”

Exactly! I have never done any animation, but I have studied storyboarding to help me with composition and storytelling. That’s how the term has stuck with me.

• kpei137

March 5, 2021 at 6:28 am

I would like to hear from someone who can teach us how to pitch a comic book if we decide to branch out on our own.

• redheadeded

March 10, 2021 at 12:59 am

@Kevin you wanna leave us already? lol.

Are you thinking indie, industry, kickstarter ? what type of pitch do you mean?

Hopfully we can get someone great. πŸ˜‰
      D Alley, the Redheadeded

• kpei137

March 10, 2021 at 1:17 am

Not yet but if I want to make money off of my own comic or look into branching out I want to make sure I understand how to sell myself and my comic in an independent creator way so I know I am getting the most for my time and effort.

• redheadeded

March 10, 2021 at 2:10 am

Cool. Great Suggestion! I am sure a bunch of people will be interested in this. πŸ™‚

• josh-dahl

March 18, 2021 at 8:25 pm
          make icon 20 Forum Points

I LOVE working on pitches. Especially face-to-face situations like selling at cons.

I’d love to do pitch workshops!

• kpei137

March 10, 2021 at 7:08 am

I would also like to see if we can get someone to tell us where they get their comics printed do that way anyone who does want to go solo can have all the right tools of the trails

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    March 17, 2021 at 1:37 am
    make icon 112 Forum Points

These are good suggestions. Thank you for your input, all!

• mikedoestheart

Administrator
    March 17, 2021 at 11:06 pm

Perhaps someone who can speak to the merits of typography and lettering for comics; things such as average number of words per page and spacing in word balloons as well as the do’s and don’ts of onomatopoeia would be fantastic πŸ™‚

• evan-scale

March 18, 2021 at 10:56 pm

Is it possible for these events to be recorded, so we can watch them at a later date in case we miss them? The time difference will make it pretty hard for me to participate.

• redheadeded

March 19, 2021 at 9:43 pm

Hey @evan-scale ,

Yes, all the guests will be interview using our Streamyard service so the videos will be archived on our facebook and youtube channels.
      – If you are not subscribed or joined the group there may be some rescricted videos for memebers only, but we may look into getting them linked here in the forums as well.

I know we had some content from last year recorded as well we will look into getting that up on the Comic Book School Video channels over the summer.

We are working this year to make sure every guest has their own question and answer discussion thread on the forums in case you can’t make the live Q&A session online.
      – So if you want to ask questions ahead of time, or after the fact there is a place you can still reach out and contact the guest.
      – Last year most of the guest were very helpful in continuing to respond after their video interviews were concluded. We are hoping for more of the same this year.

Thanks for reminding me to let everyone know. πŸ˜‰

D Alley, the Redheadeded.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now