Forums Forums Main Forum Black History Month: Early Black Comic Book Creators

• Black History Month: Early Black Comic Book Creators

Posted by maryamsmark on February 20, 2022 at 7:26 pm

Hey everyone, only a few days left during Black History Month. Giving a shout to the Free Library of Philadelphia for highlighting some African American Comic Book historians.

Let’s pump up the volume: post an African American Comic Book Creator (the creator, not the comic book hero/characters) that you enjoy.

My top 3: Yona Harvey (Marvel’s World of Wakanda); Keith Pollard (The Amazing Spiderman & Thor); Alitha Martinez (Marvel’s Iron Man, DC’s Batgirl)…

Your turn…and go!

Check out the Free Library’s blog post

READ—Early Black Comic Book Writers, Illustrators, and Newspaper Cartoonists – Blog – Free Library
    https://libwww.freelibrary.org/blog/post/4831

redheadeded replied 5 months, 2 weeks ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • izmoney10000

February 21, 2022 at 3:52 am
    make icon Makes 3
    make icon 23 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Brian steelfreeze, Steven Hughes, taneshe coats

• maryamsmark

February 21, 2022 at 7:38 am
      make icon Makes 8
      make icon 76 Forum Points

Oh yea, Coates is a great writer. I enjoy his work, and he’s been highlighted pretty well as a journalist. I wasn’t aware of Steelfreeze, but you putting me on @izmoney10000 – that’s the whole point of this here post. To Find more comic book creators of color.

• andyseabert

February 22, 2022 at 5:29 am
      make icon Makes 7
      make icon 22 Forum Points

Stelfreeze is incredible. His work with Coates on Black Panther was stunning.

• andyseabert

February 22, 2022 at 5:36 am
    make icon Makes 7
    make icon 22 Forum Points

Dwayne McDuffie was a legendary creator. Also, have to give artistic props to Khary Randolph, who’s also super nice and I love the art of Denys Cowan.

• eldios

February 22, 2022 at 5:56 am
    make icon Makes 0
    make icon 25 Forum Points

The only one you all mentioned that I was familiar w/was Coates because I know of his non-comic writing. I just found out about Dwayne McDuffie via the last wkly drawing challenge. I’m going to have to check out all the cats mentioned. This was a great post Maryam.

• redheadeded

Administrator
    February 22, 2022 at 9:38 am
    make icon Makes 6
    make icon 68 Forum Points

Honestly I suck at remembering who does what.. but I love the Niobe series written by Sebastian A. Jones & Amandla Stenberg with art by Ashley A. Woods.

And I think Ronald Wimberly has got to be one of the coolest people alive, ever.