Forums Forums Main Forum A Study in Composition & Writing: Bo Burnham: Inside

• A Study in Composition & Writing: Bo Burnham: Inside

curtis1 updated 2 weeks, 5 days ago 5 Members · 6 Posts
  • mikedoestheart

Administrator
    June 14, 2021 at 7:09 am

Hey CBS Community – during a recent Council meeting, Bo Burnham’s recent Netflix special “Inside” was mentioned (by @buddyscalera specifically — had to call you out!) as an exmplary example of writing and execution of a story.

I echoed the same sentiment as well — for anyone who hasn’t had a chance to see this, it’s a really compelling example of stellar writing and performance, with special mind paid to composition and milieu, along with some really amazing compositions, especially considering the restraint of having the entire special pretty much shot in the same room.

For our writers out there, you can feel the weight of the words Bo has chosen – he doesn’t waste any opportunity to remain poignant, funny, at times brutally honest and reflective. Make no mistake, Bo will tug on your heartstrings as a creator and human being trying to make sense of the pressure of the world we live in.

For our artists, it’s easy to appreciate and marvel at the way Bo is able to make a static shot and minimal camera movements seem grandiose, or the way he uses simple tools like a headlamp and a disco ball to transform a room into…well… whatever he wants it to be.

And it definitely doesn’t hurt that Bo is hysterically funny.

You may have seen this song in the clip below floating around on Instagram, FB or Tiktok — so now you know where it’s from!

CBS community — take a look if you can at this piece of art and let us know your thoughts here in this thread.

Did you enjoy it? Did you hate it? let us know why. Talk to everyone soon!

Shoutout to our council – want want to hear from everyone if possible – @thesurrealari @krisburgos @evan-scale @aesthetic-derelict @kpei137

https://youtu.be/ChgFo74WxZ8

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    June 15, 2021 at 6:53 am
    make icon 109 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

I loved this special. It was literally a masterclass in making the most of the tools and resources you have to create art.

It helps to see one of Bo Burnham’s previous specials to understand what a physical change he made for this particular special.

It’s enlightening, frightening, and inspiring. If you want to tell visual stories, it is something you need to see.

• kpei137

June 15, 2021 at 6:35 pm

if only I had netflix I would watch it but I’ll watch the youtube trailer and I guess go from there

• jholder12

June 17, 2021 at 8:17 pm
      make icon 20 Forum Points

Wanted to first say the music is available as an album on streaming services like Spotify!

I absolutely adored this. Bo Burnham has this wonderful talent where you have no clue what part of his pain is contrived, and which is him really expressing what he is torn up about. And to do so in hysterical humor is wondrous.

• curtis1

July 6, 2021 at 11:32 pm
    make icon 20 Forum Points

I did enjoy the special a lot. However it’s more of a creative purge in my opinion than a traditional “ha, ha” comedy special. I didn’t laugh as much as I was saying “I feel you, man” and “been there.”

Art is best when it is honest. The most impactful art comes from being able to put the ego aside and tell the truth (to paraphrase Hubert Selby Jr. -author of Requiem for a Dream). The truth of life is that we are all flawed individuals desperate for connection, approval, validation, etc.

<font face=”inherit” style=”font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit;”>Bo’s latest was an exorcism for lack of a better word. All the blood, sweat, tears and self-talk an audience knows goes into a live stage show but never sees, that was “Inside”…with some clever edits.</font>

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now