Forums Forums 8-Page Challenge #1 for NYCC 2020 (COMPLETED) #8PgChallenge – STEP 9 – Inks

• #8PgChallenge – STEP 9 – Inks

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    August 20, 2020 at 6:39 am

Keep up the great work! Share you art, so we can all share it on social media. PLEASE include links to your social media profiles, so we know how to tag you.

Post your inks.

Here’s the article on inking:

How to Ink Comic Art for Your 8-Page Comic Story | #8PgChallenge – Step 9
    https://www.comicbookschool.com/how-to-ink-comic-art-8-page-comic-story/

• philipspace

August 20, 2020 at 10:25 am

While I’ve already posted these elsewhere on the boards, since I’ve been making digital edits during the color process I feel it appropriate to re-post my pages. The main changes have been to layouts, adding or removing panels to help the flow of how the pages read, as well as cleaning up some of the cross-hatching and shading values.

• evan-scale

August 20, 2020 at 8:16 pm
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Inks for ‘Camriddeon and the Leighman Lurkers’, written by @jholder12.
    My inks, as well as my pencils, are all done digitally.

• evan-scale

August 20, 2020 at 8:19 pm

@philipspace
    I like how clean your inks are. And the line weight variation is nicely done.

• aesthetic-derelict

August 20, 2020 at 9:10 pm

Here are the inks for Battle of the Belly of the Beast.

• zach

August 21, 2020 at 7:10 pm

I love how clean your lines are! And I’m getting strong Earth Worm Jim vibes from the setting and character designs, etc. 👏👏👏 Excited to see this colored and lettered!

• zach

August 21, 2020 at 12:58 am

Since I went from roughs to inks, I used the two weeks for Inks to finish writing the script and refine the drawings. Redrew a lot of P8 and a bunch of small details throughout. Closer to “done” but still a little more work to do.

What’s Next: Going to do a few more passes on the words this weekend and polish the inks (red circles) this week, and start flatting. 🙂

• zach

August 21, 2020 at 1:07 am

Social Media Links:
      Twitter -> https://twitter.com/ottobott
      Instagram -> https://www.instagram.com/zherring/

• philipspace

August 21, 2020 at 10:42 pm

@Zach I was a little fuzzy on the storytelling from the visuals initially, but the dialogue really sells the story. I like it!

Question, what are the red ellipses for? I’m assuming they’re a notation for edits?

• zach

August 22, 2020 at 12:47 am

@Philip – Red circles are exactly that! I keep noticing things but forget to address them, so I started just circling them as I see to remind myself to get to it. It’s getting to the point where I need to call it “done” to flat, but there’s just a few more points I need to sand down before I put a bow on it.

Also thanks! I really appreciate that. I realize it’s definitely overstuffed for an 8 pager, but I kinda wanted to challenge myself to go as big as possible just to experiment. I’ve been reading a lotof Silver Age books lately and it just bowls me over how much story and world building they fit into 20 pages. I’m happy with the outcome, flawed as it is. Hopefully colors can help flesh out what’s happening even further. 🙂

• evolver

August 21, 2020 at 10:26 am

I still need more polish on the inks … but I am going to do that as I introduce the flats. I have almost all of the script done — just a bit more to finish writing.

• gaston

August 21, 2020 at 5:46 pm

At the moment I’m in the middle of the story
    Social media: https://www.instagram.com/gastongenser/

• zach

August 21, 2020 at 7:08 pm

Really like the inks, esp textures you’ve achieved w/ the scales, and the armor in firelight etc. Well done!

• philipspace

August 21, 2020 at 10:53 pm

I just want to say that I’ve been really impressed with the level of work that I’m seeing produced in this creator challenge. Going from concept to finished work is no mean feat, so my compliments and encouragement to everyone who’s been involved. Keep at it!

If this were an anthology magazine, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

• mikedoestheart

Administrator
    August 24, 2020 at 6:22 am

I thought my upload earlier this week went up – sorry about that! My process is really iterative as i’m going back and making detail passes over and over with each page progression. As this will be a black and white affair, I was going straight to full detail which, in hindsight, is something i won’t be doing again :). Here’s the front cover through page 4 (5 pages, halfway). Hope you dig!

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    August 27, 2020 at 5:46 am

Great work, Challengers! Very impressive.

I tweeted it here: https://twitter.com/ComicBookSchool/status/1298783561466732544 – The Twitter only let me include 4 images, so I will tweet again tomorrow.

Get out there and self-promote and cross-promote your work. You never know who will see your post and want to connect with you.

Buddy

• jarrod-elvin

September 2, 2020 at 11:36 am

Hi everyone! Your inks look fantastic!
    Here are my inked pages. Sorry they are so late!

• zach

September 3, 2020 at 2:04 am

I’m getting really strong Tradd Moore vibes from this, esp those middle pages! 😍 Well done!

• jarrod-elvin

September 20, 2020 at 8:14 pm

@Zach thank you! I was not familiar with Tradd Moore, but I looked him up and I take that compliment gratefully!

• gaston

October 6, 2020 at 12:40 am

Sorry I forgot to upload the other half of the story

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now