Forums Forums 8-Page Challenge #1 for NYCC 2020 (COMPLETED) #8PgChallenge – STEP 8 – Pencils

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    August 3, 2020 at 6:24 am
    make icon 113 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

If you are following the #8pgChallenge, please place your pencils into this thread! You are doing it!

Here is a link to the article that contains the sample page art from Ron Lim. How to Create Pencil Art for Your 8-Page Comic Story | #8PgChallenge – Step 8

• This discussion was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  buddyscalera.
  • mikedoestheart

Administrator
    August 3, 2020 at 7:56 am

Sorry if this feels like I’m double-posting from the roughs step — my process was a bit ziny and my layouts counted as roughs, and my roughs were rendered as semi-final pencils. Once again, my pages with @KrisBurgos. Hope everyone digs!

PS – ignore the first 3 uploads – they are repeats for some reason 🙁

• philipspace

August 3, 2020 at 10:19 pm
      make icon 70 Forum Points

@mikedoestheart This is a beautiful world you’ve created! I love the style and action you’ve incorporated.
      A question, though; Page 1-2, are your characters moving down a road, or are they supposed to be in one place? I’m left with the impression that they are travelling, but the foreground tree breaking through all the panels suggests a single location. Thought I would ask. You’ve created a great sense of depth throughout these pages, especially with the forest scenes. I look forward to seeing more as this story progresses!

• philipspace

August 3, 2020 at 10:07 pm

Here are my pencils. I’m pretty happy with the pace I was able to keep with these; post-roughs I was able to complete pencils about every other day working around my day-job. Page 8 the backgrounds stayed a little more rough, since I decided to finish those in the ink stage to save time.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  philipspace.
    • This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  philipspace.
  • philipspace

August 3, 2020 at 10:10 pm

Pardon the double posting…

• philipspace

August 3, 2020 at 10:25 pm

I also had time for a Pin-up. I figured a cover page made sense for the story, and I put this together.

Anybody want to take a crack at coloring?

• mikedoestheart

Administrator
    August 4, 2020 at 12:58 am

Hey @philipspace – your pencils are so cleaaan! Love them. And what story is complete without a proper pin up cover? I’m working on one myself as well, trying to round everything out. I’m learning a lot by analyzing your panels personally, with regards to spacing and letting things breathe – makes the art speak for itself in an even more profound way.

Thanks a bunch for writing back regarding the first pages of my pencils — the characters are supposed to be essentially walking in circles and not really getting anywhere, but i do agree that something is a bit off, be it their stances/placement or the panels themselves. I split a panel diagonally but planned on a character’s silhouette being in multiple places for example, something i think better executed in a single panel. Definitely room for improvement. I’m going to toy with rough layout alternatives to see if something sticks. I can get absolutely lost in panel exploration sometimes!

• aesthetic-derelict

August 4, 2020 at 3:51 am
    make icon 69 Forum Points

@mikedoestheart, I really like the level of charm and detail in your pages, thus far. You’ve certainly captured something of a dark whimsy with this sequence.

@philipspace, excellent work. I’m always a fan of strong, pulpy adventure books, and that’s a tone you convey well.

Here are the “finished” digital pencils for my story. I typically avoid putting my heavy shadows in at this point, and save it for my inking stage. It’s something I picked up from mangaka, some years back. Essentially, it helps you focus on the quality of the lineart itself before diving into the fancy stuff.

• zach

August 4, 2020 at 8:28 pm
    make icon 20 Forum Points

I’m all digital, so go from roughs to inks. I’m calling this a first pass – will let these sit, start lettering and then redraw or tweak panels that need help better telling the story.

Also, I misread the due-date, so I thought Inks were due now, not in a couple of weeks. 😅

• evan-scale

August 6, 2020 at 4:08 am
    make icon 17 Forum Points

Hey everyone
    Here are the pencils I did for Camriddeon and the Leighman Lurkers, written by @jholder12

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  evan-scale.
  • jarrod-elvin

August 13, 2020 at 7:04 pm

All your pencil works look amazing!!

Here are mine, sorry they are late. I’ve been flooded with work and I seem to have some kind of obsessive compulsion to put in way too much detail! I’ll need to work on that. Hopefully I can catch up with the inks.

Big thanks to Buddy for fixing up a minor issue I was having with access to the forums!

• philipspace

August 14, 2020 at 12:50 am

Looking great @jarrodelvin ! I like the way each of the Megababes has their own viral mutation particular to them.

• gaston

August 21, 2020 at 6:17 pm

Sorry, I didnt scanned the first four pages pencils. Another thing, my pencils are really rough.

• john-ashton-golden

October 1, 2020 at 11:07 am

Pencils for Robby Beyond: Pilot pages 1-8.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now