Forums Forums 8-Page Challenge #1 for NYCC 2020 (COMPLETED) #8PgChallenge – STEP 7 – Page Roughs

• #8PgChallenge – STEP 7 – Page Roughs

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    July 5, 2020 at 6:49 am
    make icon 104 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Hello creators! This is the folder where you can share your page roughs. You are posting them here for feedback and input from the community.

Please read this post first…

How to Create Page Roughs for Your 8-Page Comic Story | #8PgChallenge – Step 7
    https://www.comicbookschool.com/how-to-create-page-roughs-8-page-comic-story/
    Thanks. And keep up the great work!

• aesthetic-derelict

July 5, 2020 at 9:17 am
    make icon 68 Forum Points

Here are my roughs for my short, “Battle of the Belly of the Beast.” I draw digitally, so the characters and backgrounds are on different layers. As such, it looks like I draw “through” my characters.

• jarrod-elvin

July 6, 2020 at 7:04 pm
    make icon 70 Forum Points

@Bolu They look amazing! Fantastic body language and movement! Can’t wait to see more!

Here are my roughs. I’ve done them digitally too. I’ve done two and a half of them in tight pencils (not shown here) because I thought I was running out of time.
    Hope you like!

• evan-scale

July 6, 2020 at 10:47 pm
    make icon 15 Forum Points

@aesthetic-derelict nice work. Really like the style. I like how clear the expressions and gestures are.
    @jarrodelvin Nicely done. Must have taken a while with so many characters in each page. Pages 5-8 seem to be a bit tighter than 1-4, which will probably save you some time during the tight pencils.

Keep up the good work!

Here are my pages. I would have liked to have them a bit less detailed in some spots (to reduce overall time). Also digital.
    Rough pencils for Camriddeon and the Leighman Lurkers, written by @jholder12

• philipspace

July 6, 2020 at 11:15 pm
    make icon 69 Forum Points

I’ve got pages 1-8 penciled already, but here are the roughs.
    I’m using 11″X17″ copy paper to draw the understructure with, and then trace that on to Bristol board for the pencils. I’ll make a run to the copy store today to get scans and full-size copies in case something goes tragically wrong at the inking stage.

• psysci

July 7, 2020 at 11:49 pm

My artist is 100% digital so they have a bit of a different process. He has given me inked pages which I give him edits to. They get to a place where they are almost final. I then am going to color and modify the inks myself.

Here are some early pages pre-edits

• artsmermaid

July 21, 2020 at 11:10 pm

Here are some of my roughs. I tend to flesh out my character before doing backgrounds and FX. For those, I have stand refs as stand ins. I also sketch in color for character distinction and I find that I draw looser in color.^w^ ^w^

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  artsmermaid.
  • philipspace

July 22, 2020 at 8:34 pm

Posting my inks here. On to colors (not something I normally work with).

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  philipspace.
  • philipspace

July 22, 2020 at 8:42 pm

Wasn’t letting me post page 1 for some reason…

• evolver

July 23, 2020 at 8:28 am
    make icon 18 Forum Points

Here are the roughs for my pages.

• mikedoestheart

Administrator
    August 3, 2020 at 2:44 am

Here are my roughs/pencils for @krisburgos story — My own personal process did get in the way, fighting over concentrating on backgrounds first or characters. A lot learned about that… From here, i’ll go into inking and finish some of the panels that were a little less bare than others. I also usually don’t go heavy with the penciling as i ink digitally the real flowy stuff, like the hammer swings and motion lines.

Had the time to really look at everyone’s rough submissions and it’s super exciting to see. I’m especially enjoying @evanscale ‘s sweeping landscapes and variety in shots/panels.

@philipspace – your inks are super clean and i like how consistent you are with the lighting and using the heavy black ink to frame things.

@aesthetic-derelict your roughs already have the flow and energy in the character forms – can’t wait to see more

Really everyone is killing it – cant wait to see everything!

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    August 3, 2020 at 6:44 am
    make icon 104 Forum Points

I want you all to make comic books for me. I love these roughs.

And now, let me see your pencils!

• john-ashton-golden

September 15, 2020 at 8:03 am
    make icon 20 Forum Points

These are my V1 Rough Layouts! I wish I was always able to nail it in the first pass but it usually takes me a couple passes to sort out exactly which camera angles and panel compositions will best serve the storytelling. I always refer back to my thumbnails when considering my options because often there is gold in those early breakdowns of the script.

Viewing 1 - 13 of 13 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now