Forums Forums 8-Page Challenge #1 for NYCC 2020 (COMPLETED) #8PgChallenge – STEP 4 – Character Design Sheets

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    May 6, 2020 at 6:58 am
    make icon 108 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Creators,

Great work on Step 1-3 of the #8PgChallenge. Thank you for all of the great feedback you’ve provided to each other on these message boards.

Action Item: Begin the process of designing character sheets
    Deadline: May 24

Here’s a post explaining what you need to do in this step.

How to Create Character Sheets for Your 8-Page Comic Story | #8PgChallenge – Step 4
    https://www.comicbookschool.com/8-page-comic-character-sheets/

NOTE: You can attach images to your post. You can post up to 10 JPG files at a time. Max file size is 8Mb. If you have any problems posting, our Council is here to help you.

• This discussion was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  buddyscalera.
  • gaston

May 6, 2020 at 6:39 pm
    make icon 20 Forum Points

Hi, here are the designs for “Twilight of the gods prophecy”.
    The baddies: Goblins and Orcs

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  gaston.
  • gaston

May 6, 2020 at 6:42 pm

The goodies: Elves and Dwafs

• george-dawkins-ii

May 6, 2020 at 9:03 pm
    make icon 70 Forum Points

Lavatasha & Black Ice by @philipspace

• krisburgos

May 6, 2020 at 11:08 pm
    make icon 62 Forum Points

Whoops, a little late posting these, but here’s the first wave of initial sketches, Art by JP Vilchis…

• krisburgos

May 6, 2020 at 11:27 pm

@gaston @andresbriano
    That’s some killer art, it has a really tough attitude. It looks like a super serious and very badass cast of characters from Warcraft with a smack of Heavy Metal magic. Knowing how the story ends, I’m seeing that the serious tone of the comic is going to make twist at the end even more funny.

@gdawkins2 @philipspace
    Digging the first look at the 2 leads. They both have a fun urban superhero/villain vibe with a simple and utilitarian getup. I could totally see them as 2 random normal people in a crowd just bursting out into a superfight in public and not having to run to a phonebooth or batcave to get into their gear first, which I find very appealing.

• aesthetic-derelict

May 7, 2020 at 1:52 am
    make icon 68 Forum Points

I take a bit of a “blue sky” approach when doing character designs for myself. I guess it gives me a bit of time to discover a character’s range of emotion on the go. The leads for this story, I’d already designed for an old #Inktober challenge. They are Kip Kerstromm, a clever yet easily overwhelmed space explorer and Vanessa Variable, his hyper-competent partner.

Afterwards, I made some preliminary sketches of the villains of this short story, “The Eradikor.” They’re a trio of space bounty hunters consisting of their leader Ruthak, combat expert Khani and mechanical operative Speezoid.

I also did some ship sketches and creature designs here.

Lastly, in order to get used to drawing Kip and Vanessa again while also updating their designs a bit, I made this illustration.

• psysci

May 7, 2020 at 7:23 am
    make icon 69 Forum Points

Courtesy of my partner Samuel Purata

• gaston

May 7, 2020 at 11:50 am

@krisburgos
    Thanks man! Warcraft has always been a very big influence in my fantasy designs, glad to see it shows. Vilchis art look awesome, those creatures are right up my alley. Very exited tofollow the progress!

• zach

May 7, 2020 at 7:54 pm

I’ve started noodling on some different takes on the world and the character. Nothing solid yet, just working fast and loose and iterating a lot.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  zach.
  • philipspace

May 7, 2020 at 8:33 pm
    make icon 69 Forum Points

I figured I would keep it simple and put everybody on the same model sheet, such as it is.

@Bolu These look great! I love your style!

• krisburgos

May 7, 2020 at 10:56 pm

@aesthetic-derelict

I saw that and said to myself Earthworm Jim meets Black Science! Wait, and that lovechild meets Sonic!!! Good stuff.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    May 8, 2020 at 12:21 am
    make icon 108 Forum Points

Wow. Some seriously good art in here. This makes me very excited for the comics you will be creating.

• aesthetic-derelict

May 8, 2020 at 2:38 am

@gaston I’m a big fan of use of heavy black inks in those character sketches. It’s an aesthetic that I dig.

@philipspace Thanks! I’m really liking your concept art. That’s a cool looking cast.

@krisburgos I guess my influences really bleed through. I’m a fan of all of those! Those early sketches from Vilchis look excellent. Looking forward to seeing more.

• jarrod-elvin

May 8, 2020 at 7:15 am

Hi everyone,
    For my comic, I am using pre-existing characters of mine and I will be the artist.
    Here is a picture of my seven main characters. This picture was made before this challenge, and it is not in the visual style in which I will do my comic.
    Also, here is a picture of some concept art and style guide that I did make for this challenge to explore my ideas However, I made it before I saw the guidelines for this step so it is not in the correct format.
    As I mentioned, I am the artist, and these characters are my own creation, so I know them front to back. It seems extraneous to provide character sheets for myself, but for the purposes of this challenge, I will do so. It appears I have a bit of work ahead of me!
    Hope you like!
    -Jarrod.

• aesthetic-derelict

May 8, 2020 at 9:56 pm

One last major design. The story calls for a cute McGuffin in danger. The Prince of the Sofservian empire. Decided to do a bit of color work for this one too.

• evan-scale

May 8, 2020 at 10:05 pm
    make icon 15 Forum Points

Characters for “Camriddeon and the Leighman Lurkers” written by @jholder12

I included the character descriptions as well to have everything in one place.

Character Descriptions:

CAMRIDDEON – The main character. Camriddeon is best described as a redheaded Merlin. Camriddeon is shown in four different stages of his life. As a young boy of twelve, a man in his twenties, his forties, and finally in old age. For most of his life he is bearded. He prefers clothes that allow movement, shorter sleeves and pants while still carrying some aspect of robes. and carries a wooden staff at all times. He tries to find good humor, because there is much pain around him. After he separates from SHADOW, he no longer casts his own.

PALL – A young boy. Let’s switch it up, make him nonwhite. About ten years old. Dressed in decent enough clothes without being extravagant.

THE REAL LEIGHMAN LURKER – A small quadruped creature. An ugly mixture of fur and ghost, with big mournful eyes and humanlike arms. Probably a mixture of ferret, dog, and person.r

FAKE LEIGHMAN LURKER – A monstrous winged beast. Think a small dragon crossed with a vulture, always shrouded in shadow. Scales and a wicked tail, claws, but with a harsh beak.

• zach

May 11, 2020 at 8:00 pm

EDIT: Uh. I accidentally hit “Reply” to a post, meant to just post a new reply, now it’s being threaded and I can’t delete my original post. :facepalm: apologies for the confusions.

@Evan — Great designs, I especially love the Lurker designs. Really looking good there.
      @Jarrod – Really dig those lines and colors! What do you use for coloring? I can’t tell if it’s traditional or digital…

update:

Closer to done this weekend.

It’s going to be a high fantasy concept I’ve been playing around with this character, a Cleric for the God of Luck, named Bron. He has no holy powers to speak of, except chance; it’s a world dominated by prophesy and fate, his presence introduces an unknown quantity in events. He represents fate disrupted, and so his adventures are following opportunity and chance where they lead. The Baron and Monks are the characters in the summary / outline from other posts (to avoid spamming all the threads).

I think next steps would be to finalize the two environments (monastery and the ship) and then start scripting and thumb nailing in tandem.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  zach.
  • krisburgos

May 9, 2020 at 9:09 am

@jarrodelvin Those megababes look great I can’t wait to see the style you’re going to use for the book. Also, the virus dimension totally reminds me of the Marvel space epic where all the major space characters are fighting the Cancerverse invasion, I think it’s The Thanos Imperative. (Killer story, check it out)

@evanscale @jholder12 Those are some epic designs. I’m totally digging the creatures. Carry on.

• jarrod-elvin

May 10, 2020 at 3:22 pm

@Kris Burgos Thank you very much! -The style of the concept pictures (the other picture in my post) is pretty much the style I will be using for my comic. Much more cartoony with flat colors and shading.
    Here are some other pictures I have done in the past of four of my characters that will feature in the comic, which represents the style I will use. Although I would like to develop it more with more concept work, mainly on cartoony expression and proportion.

Thanks for pointing out the Thanos Imperative. I checked it out and it’s a great story! There are a few similarities to my story, but thankfully I don’t think it’s too close to the mark. I was a bit worried when you first mentioned it haha!

Thanks again for your thoughtful and encouraging feedback! Most appreciated!

• jarrod-elvin

May 10, 2020 at 4:16 pm

@Gaston Genser Your designs look great! I love the creepy and raw feeling I get, which is nicely complimented by the heavy use of black shading. It gives me a feel reminiscent of a comic-ised Frazetta. Good movement and humor as well. It’s clear that you have put in a lot of work! I look forward to seeing more in your comic!

@George Dawkins II Lavatasha and Black Ice look really cool! Fire and ice! Can’t wait to see more!

@Kris Burgos, your artist has done a good job! I see that some of your concepts are inspired by Lovecraft as well! That’s awesome! I can’t wait to see some eldritch monster action! Also really nice background and weapons designs!

@Bolu I really dig your style! The cartoony proportions and final render (including the ice-cream character) are similar to what I would like to do in my comic! You’ve got some excellent and unique designs!

@Matthew Timpanelli Nice work! Very clean and clear lines and expressive unique characters. Slightly realistic but still stylish. Reminds me of Daniel Clowes a bit.

@Zach Cool designs! I like where your noodling is taking you! The Priestess and the monster in the warm up sketch particularly pique my interest! I look forward to seeing more!

@Evan Scale Awesome designs! Lots of detail and thorough exploration! You’ve done a lot of great work! I think your creatures are amazing! This will make an epic comic!

Edit Sorry, I don’t know how to tag people properly, if someone could help me out that would be great 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  jarrod-elvin.
Viewing 1 - 20 of 36 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now