Forums Forums 8-Page Challenge #1 for NYCC 2020 (COMPLETED) #8PgChallenge – STEP 11 – Lettering

• #8PgChallenge – STEP 11 – Lettering

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    September 16, 2020 at 6:23 am
    make icon 101 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Wow, it’s really coming together. Step #11 of 12! Lettering. Post your lettering pages here.

Also, check out the snazzy pages from Avengers Assemble lettered by Joe Sabino

How to Letter Comic Art for Your 8-Page Comic Story | #8PgChallenge – Step 11
    https://www.comicbookschool.com/how-to-letter-8-page-comic-story-8pgchallenge-step-11/

• jarrod-elvin

September 16, 2020 at 1:12 pm
    make icon 70 Forum Points

Hi everyone!
    Here are my lettered pages, that also have some color-correction from my last post of the colored pages, and with some shading and glows for good measure! -So, if I’m not speaking too soon, I think these are my final pages. -Unless of course there is something I need to work on. Please let me know what you think! I can provide a high-res PDF of the final pages to where and when it is needed.
    -I just used digital typed fonts to create my lettering.

• philipspace

September 17, 2020 at 12:06 am
    make icon 69 Forum Points

@jarrodelvin That’s a fun read! As I was reading I realized that the dialogue balloons caused my eyes to focus on details that I had only glanced at previously as well, so it really made me soak in all the hard work you put into the artwork.

The only suggestion I would have for dialogue would be the placement of the last balloon on panel 1 of page 3. My eye jumps to that balloon right after reading the first caption, which I know is out of sequence. I would recommend either moving that balloon down, or possibly into the second panel altogether to avoid confusion (which might be the better fix). That’s the only place where I found the balloon placement problematic, everything else was good.

• jarrod-elvin

September 17, 2020 at 6:36 am

@philipspace Hey, thank you for reading! I was hoping the dialogue balloons would help to point out some of the characters, especially when they are becoming merged with the background and a bit lost in the detail. I’m glad they did! Thanks for the feedback. I’ll see what I can do about that dialogue balloon.

• philipspace

September 17, 2020 at 10:59 pm

Well, here are my lettered pages, such as they are. Typography is not my bag, so I used one of the Blambot.com fonts that Nate Piekos allows for non-commercial lettering called “Back Issues” for the dialogue. I’m happy with it, but I’m certainly open to editorial input.
    I went for a more “hand drawn” feel to the word balloons, I guess it reminded me of European comics. Thoughts, critiques, or commentary is of course welcome.

I wasn’t sure if I would ever make it this far with this project, so no matter what I’m really proud of being a part of the work that everybody’s accomplished here.

• zach

September 24, 2020 at 12:00 am
      make icon 20 Forum Points

I loveee the idea of a group of time travelers who just keep picking up strays as they go back and forth in time. Has a real Bill and Ted vibe, tons of potential too. Would love to read more! 🙂

• mikedoestheart

Administrator
    September 18, 2020 at 12:23 am

@philipspace – you’re killing it, bud. i like the hand drawn bubbles (i’m a fan of those myself) and back issues is a GREAT font. i don’t think personally that there’s an issue with the spacing in the type. If i can, my only observation on your killer work so far would be concerning the amount of bolded words throughout the comic. It may be the way the file was converted, but it seems like there is at least one bolded word per word bubble — I’m someone who’s done that in the past as well. I remember a published writer telling me that if there are a high amount of bolded words, that it’s intended purpose (to emphasize) becomes diminished because, in effect, now everything is emphasized. It may diminish the impact you intend to have. great stuff either way!

• philipspace

September 18, 2020 at 3:12 am

Thank you for the feedback @mikedoestheart !
    I know that there’s a technique used in comics lettering to create emphasis around bolded words (which was kind of what I was aiming at) but if it doesn’t look right– then it just doesn’t look right.

I’ll run another draft with the bolded words scaled back to see which version reads better. Much appreciated!

• evolver

September 18, 2020 at 9:58 pm
    make icon 18 Forum Points

attached are my letters (feedback welcome on the style as well as the actual flow of the script). I also made some corrections/enhancements to the colors after feedback at the color stage. I think the midtones are up enough now that they should print OK. Thanks all – i’ve though this whole process has been extremely helpful.

• maryamsmarkers

September 19, 2020 at 9:06 am
    make icon 71 Forum Points

Such amazing color palettes. The hues. Amazing.. .

• maryamsmarkers

September 19, 2020 at 9:08 am

I’m giving mine a go…a peek. Still a work in progress.

• zach

September 24, 2020 at 6:39 pm

I really dig this approach, esp the typography. This feels like it was all done traditionally, even the lettering is on the board?

• jarrod-elvin

September 20, 2020 at 8:12 pm

@philipspace great work! Your story is a fun ride! I’d like to read more and learn more of the story and characters! I really dig your art style, especially with the cool angles you use (The panel with the key in the lock I think is especially cool and I’d like to incorporate more angles like that into my own work) One thing I would fix up is that ‘forest’ is spelled with only one R, you have it in there twice with two Rs. I don’t mean to sound rude or disrespectful, but I feel that it is more of a courtesy to point that out to you.
    @K S You have created a really cool and dark dystopian atmosphere in your work! Really great! The story moves forward and you can really feel the tension and looming threat.
    @maryamsmarksers Very interesting and fun character designs and story elements! I can’t wait to see the whole thing and find out more! Fantastic!

• philipspace

September 21, 2020 at 12:13 am

One thing I would fix up is that ‘forest’ is spelled with only one R, you have it in there twice with two Rs. I don’t mean to sound rude or disrespectful, but I feel that it is more of a courtesy to point that out to you.

@jarrodelvin Thank you for the compliment! For the record, pointing out spelling errors is neither rude nor disrespectful, it means you’re helping someone to make their sentence or story the best it can be. Never apologize for that, I obviously wouldn’t have caught it, and I thank you for pointing it out. Your courtesy is greatly appreciated. It’s the literary equivalent of pointing out when someone has toilet paper stuck to their shoe before going out. Embarrassing, but it would have been far worse if no one had said anything 😉

• evolver

September 20, 2020 at 8:22 pm
    make icon 18 Forum Points

Thanks for the comments @jarrodelvin it was quite a learning process. I thought yours came together really well too. It’s very slick and impressive, and the story moves quickly. Having seen your work first definitely pushed to try a little harder.

does anyone know where we submit the final work and what format it needs to be in?

• zach

September 22, 2020 at 9:23 pm

We’re running a little behind on colors but I think we’re gonna make the Friday deadline. Here are the pages with the finished letters!

Edit: Just noticed an old version of P1 exported. Added!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  zach.
  • philipspace

September 22, 2020 at 10:36 pm

This story is awesome!

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    September 23, 2020 at 3:15 am

I am seriously impressed with the work here. Well done, everyone. From the posts here, it looks like we have four complete stories for the challenge, which is pretty incredible!

I’ll be working with the Council of the Willing on the details of the file formats, etc.

You guys did such a good job giving each other feedback.

• aesthetic-derelict

September 24, 2020 at 9:45 am
    make icon 68 Forum Points

Hope I’m not too late with the lettered version of my comic! Here’s the completed “Kip Kerstromm: Man of Tomorrow’s Yesterday…From The Future In “The Battle of the Belly of the Beast.”

• zach

September 24, 2020 at 6:37 pm

I was hoping you’d post the final comic! Really dig the dialog and pay-off in this one. Great stuff!

• philipspace

September 26, 2020 at 3:48 am

Well done, but eww!!

• maryamsmarkers

September 24, 2020 at 11:48 pm

I love these. I spoke shortly to my students on this challenge. Many of them stated they have never read a comicbook and they have no idea where they would get one. I found it interested. It would be great to give these kids an opportunity to read over some of your comicbooks for a part of their learning exercises. We can discuss it in our meeting with the Council of the Willing. It’s an opportunity to use these stories as a lesson to engage kids while using the remote learning and it’s a change for exposure. Just a thought, I have many impulsive thoughts that are so great… I know, I know.

• mikedoestheart

Administrator
    September 25, 2020 at 11:42 pm

On @krisburgos behalf I’m uploading the lettering to “Teddies: A Horrorbook” Book 2. I hope everyone digs it! We had a lot of fun with it.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    September 26, 2020 at 12:49 am

Great idea, @maryamsmark. I would love it if you could make an Educator’s Variant for us. We have not compiled the issues yet, so we have time.

I know that the educational comics for the classroom usually include educational prompts. If you want to create the educational version, it would make it easy for other educators to leverage for the classroom. I would make a special landing page for that.

• buddyscalera

Administrator
    September 26, 2020 at 12:50 am

And then there were six, thanks to @mikedoestheart & @krisburgos!

Viewing 1 - 20 of 31 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now