Forums Forums 8-Page Challenge #2 8-Page Challenge #2 > Step 1 > Story Ideas 4 story ideas, need help choosing one…

• 4 story ideas, need help choosing one…

• redheadeded

February 23, 2021 at 12:27 am
    make icon 66 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Ok, as per usual, I have several story ideas and I cannot pick my favorite, some are a bit trophy, but let me know what you think..

The first one is a comic for “Time Inn – The Ring”! – Action/Suspence

Kiran and Sylia vs. The Ring Master and his hoard.

SUMMARY – It is a dystopian roadhouse that you have to fight your way out of, once you check in you are entered in the knock down drag out fighting tournament of the century. The only way to check out is to win. Kiran and Sylia have to work together as a team to wrestle, fight, and out smart a group of street wise thugs before facing the man who makes the rules, the Ring-Master. Edgin their way through the tournament they will never be a crowd favorite, But they have to escape somehow?

The second comic is the “Time Inn – Stealing thine” – Fantasy/Thriller

This swanky high end city hotel is only for the most elite of clientele. The owner manages the front desk himself, with this new employee (bellhop? janitorial?TBD) thinks is super weird, I mean he must be worth a fortune to own a place like this, why doesn’t he personally attend everyone who signed in for the night? Of course in the morning everyone who leaves seems a little tired, more dower, slower than the previous evening.. almost as if they are … years older? – Has the manager been stealing people’s time?

The third one is called “Stuck in the Time Inn” – Drama/Introspective (possible Flash Fiction?)

Keiko Chance, a mild mannered Japanese expat working in Salt Lake City.

SUMMARY -Keiko Chance just wanted to get away, but with the pandemic it just wasn’t possible to leave the country. She couldn’t go home, she couldn’t travel, but she just had to use that ‘vacation-time”.. so much for a better work life balance. Lucky, she found a little ‘japanese-like’ B&B in Colorado, it wasn’t too far a drive from her place in Salt Lake City, it would be worth it just to get out the house, she thought. Arriving just before the snow started to fall she thought the little cabin looked snug in the crook of the mountain pass, the owners had left her a key to get in and she slept so well until jumping awake to the loudest noise she had ever heard. It echoed across the canyon and the cabin shook, there was a thundering of a hundred hail storms on the roof, and then everything went dark and quiet. When Keiko finally found a flashlight she looked around the dark cabin, there was no light coming from the windows… no power coming from the room, opening the door she saw snow completely blocked her only exit. Looks like she would be getting a lot more me time, at the aptly named “Time Inn”

And the fourth and last one is called: “Time Inn – by the Stars” – Sci-fi/Epic Folklore

John and his family vs. Hotel Staff

SUMMARY -On the way to their campside vacation the drive gets a bit too long for John and his young family, so they decide to stop at the next roadside inn. The exit side reads “Time Inn among the Stars”

Inside the lobby there is a huge chandelier made of millions of stars. The manager inquires if they are checking in, and John steps up and says yes. His wife reaches for his arm, ‘could they afford it?’ The manager gives them a sincere smile and tells them to each pick a star. The younger son points, “the prettiest one” he says, the mother agrees and picks the same star. The older boy asks ‘whatever, the closest one to us I guess’ and nods as the manager points to the star closest to the desk. The father, to spite his son’s attitude, says fine, “Then, I pick the farthest one away”.
    “Are you sure?” The manager asks “…that one has never been chosen before?”
    “Yup” he says nudging his elder boy “that’s the one I want”.
    “Excellent, you are booked for the night.” The manager says closing the registry book. The bellhop will show you to your rooms”
    The family is led through a huge ballroom and up a magnificent staircase into grand hallways rich with ornate decorations. The bellhop points out the different amenities along the way, a rich dining room that is open all hours, the indoor and outdoor swimming pool, the gardens, etc. etc. Again the wife whispers to the husband, “can we afford this?” The husband’s eyes alight and he pays her no mind.
    Once in the room they drop off their bags and head back down to the dining area. It is crowded with people who look like they are having a costume party. The wife notices as they sit to eat her older son has wandered off, the husband is annoyed but unbothered.
    After the meal the husband wants to try the pool and the spa, but the wife and younger child opt to sleep off the exhaustion from the road. The husband pays them no mind, and explores the grand inn, and all its wonders.
    After what felt like an extremely long night he heads back to his room, the crowds are starting to thin out and he doesn’t notice that his wife and son’s are not in the room as he passes out in the enormous four post bed.
    Upon waking he discovers he is alone in the room, his wife and son’s beds are made and only his bag sits nearby in the wardrobe. He starts to panic and begins to search the hotel. Everywhere he goes seems eerie and empty, Even the staff are hard to find. Finally he heads to the front desk.. The Manager smiles politely.
    “My family is missing! I need you to help me find them” the husband shouts.
    “They checked out on schedule,” the manager says firmly.
    “Checked out?” — just then an old man enters the lobby.
    “I am sorry we are not accepting any additional guests at this time” the manager says, “we’ll be closing the doors very soon”.
    “I know,’ the old man crones “I am just here to see my father one last time.”
    “My family is also missing! The husband shouts.
    “No, Dad.” the man says, I am your son…”
    The elder son show’s the man outside and explains it is the end of the universe. He stayed one night. One orbit of the star ‘Farest away from their own solar system’. The son had to find many ways to freeze himself and extend his own life in order to find the Time Inn again and again. To make his way back to his father, to see him one last time. The manager comes out of the hotel and the three of them watch the universe end.

Let me know what you think.. there are a lot of spaceal time shifts already in a sci-fi realm so I might do one of the others just to be different?

Thanks,
    D. Alley, the Redheadeded

• mikedoestheart

Administrator
    February 23, 2021 at 2:11 am

I’m stuck between “Stealing Thine” and “Stuck in the Time Inn” conceptually.. i’d love to see that modern take from Stealing Thine. Really cool concepts!

• MisterAnderSiN

February 23, 2021 at 6:33 am
    make icon 68 Forum Points

John and his family vs. Hotel Staff and how did you post from the future???

• Kyle Francisco

February 23, 2021 at 7:10 am
    make icon 20 Forum Points

I think I’m partial to the second one. It the building itself some sort of time vampire? There are so many possibilities with this, and I would love to see what becomes of it.

• jarrod-elvin

February 23, 2021 at 7:34 am
    make icon 70 Forum Points

I’d vote for ‘By the Stars’ because it has a cool twist to it (a little sad, but unexpected), and I’d love to see the star chandelier! It seems like the one you have fleshed out most, which makes me think it is the one you are most interested in. Although, if you want to do one of the other ones to be different from the spacetime shifting, my second pick would be ‘The Ring’ because I think it sounds like a lot of fun action, and I’m interested in how you will fit the ‘Time Inn’ theme into it.

• evolver

February 23, 2021 at 9:44 am
    make icon 18 Forum Points

Time inn by the stars. I feel like there is a lot potentially interesting things to do here. really evocative.

• redheadeded

February 23, 2021 at 9:20 pm
    make icon 66 Forum Points

Thanks for all the feedback guys! 🙂 @mikedoestheart @MisterAnderSiN @kyle francisco @jarrod-elvin @evolver

I am also leaning toward “Time Inn by the Stars” but there are a lot of Sci-fi related stories already makes me thing I should try something different? I am working on outlines and story archs right now for #1, 3, and 4. Leaving #2 for Flash Fiction possiblities at a later date. So we’ll see how they turn out.

But as an artist first the idea of illustrating the end of the universe fascinates me.

I think we know what will happen here. 😉

D Alley, the Redheadeded

• thesurrealari

February 24, 2021 at 11:14 am
    make icon 59 Forum Points

Just hearing you talk about these ideas (both in the initial posts and elsewhere), I would suggest you go with “By The Stars”. You seem to have the most passion for that one. Do the one you’re most excited about.

• MisterAnderSiN

March 2, 2021 at 9:23 am

Thank you for filling out the form I have sent you an email and a way to contact me if needed directly.

• MisterAnderSiN

March 2, 2021 at 9:23 am

GREAT STORY

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now