Forums Forums Main Forum 2022 – What does success look like for you in Comics? What is end goal ?

• 2022 – What does success look like for you in Comics? What is end goal ?

Mr.AnderSiN updated 2 days, 10 hours ago 7 Members · 16 Posts
  • redheadeded

Administrator
    January 10, 2022 at 12:33 am
    make icon 63 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Hey Guys,

We are all here for a reason, whether it’s to learn how to create a comic book, to better understand the business and branding of selling our your comic book. But what is your end goal in Comics?

Do you want to work in the Professional Industry (DC/Marvel/Darkhorse)?

Do you want to build your own Indie Publishing Group (Continum/Tales Beyond/Raven Press)?

Do you just want to write/draw/ink/color/letter pages for the rest of your life (Contracts/Commissions)?

What is end goal, what will it look like when you get there?

Why am I asking ? Beause I’d think we can better tailor our discussions and community chats to get you where you want to go.. so Let’s Discuss!

What does success look like for you in Comics, and how can we as a community get you there?

For me, personally I want:
    – To be able to create my own stories in Comic Book form.
    – To color other peoples comic as a suppliment to my income,
    (I have a day job that I want to keep).
    – Learn the ins and outs of Comic Business Production
    (maybe I will work in the industry as an editor or Designer or even in Production ???).
    – Network with other creators for inspriation, friendships and critiques.
    – Help others in this community realize their Comic dreams.

Thanks for your input!

D. Alley, the RedheadedEd.

• This discussion was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  redheadeded.
  • Vince

January 10, 2022 at 2:27 am
    make icon 19 Forum Points

The main goal of any work related success includes: $$$

The industry is flattened like a pancake, there are NO barriers to entry like before, Self-funding through Kickstarter or other crowd-funding is a self sustaining economic micro engine that also requires constant economic / audience engagement. This is a FULL time job in itself, and the “brand” of the said artist or writer has to have enough sex appeal to convert offered comic content into sales. Building audience on social platforms requires real sharp creative ideas, not just idle postings in my opinion.

Second; WFH (work for hire) also known for centuries as; ‘freelance’ – send yer stuff in to publishers, editors, studios, and anyone else who produces content that your artwork would compliment and Bob’s your uncle. Or is it Robert? This requires a degree of research in advance to know that type of work said industry types USE, and make sure its worth sending your portfolio to them. If you draw like Robert Crumb…don’t expect DC to hire you to pencil Superman. Obvious stuff.

Third; Agents, where and how does a comic artist who would ideally just like to do good work (because it takes time to do, just saying) – FIND a comic art or illustrator type agent or studio who can rep the artist and take their cut? Literary agents always post #MSWL on Twitter, for formal call outs to creators what they are open to as formal literary/graphic novel submissions, but a full time agent to rep a comic artist, back to the industry for ongoing work…does this animal exist? ..Or is it a mythological one?

Fourth: Do stuff on your own, then repeat # Second, for work you’d wish to work on, but obviously not own. Also, send to # Third, as this will show a body of work to agents (where ever they lurk) and hope for the best.

Research as BEST you can then approach this 3 pronged approach – whatever sticks, is the success I guess.

• redheadeded

Administrator
      January 10, 2022 at 2:53 am

@Vince

Thanks for all this great info, but I am asking for YOUR individual preferance..
      yeah there are as many ways to have success in this industry as their are people in it.. but what DO YOU WANT?

If someday in the not too distant future you could say to your self, I am successful in comics, which one of these options is the right one for you? or is it a blend of how you want to spend your time, what is the dream life in your head of ‘being successful in comics’ ???

But yeah, you wrote those explainations well, I might steal some of that in the future. πŸ˜‰

Thanks,
      D. Alley, the RedheadedEd

• Vince

January 17, 2022 at 7:11 am
        make icon 19 Forum Points

I’m successful when my NFT comic art Crypto currency wallet gets turned into fiat currency when I can by that second Caribbean villa (and art supplies) MWWAHAHahaaha.. ahem..

Ideally in 2.5 years when my 300 page graphic novel is done, that it gets published, and is successful, and all copyright registration is done on it so that a film production company wants to buy the rights on it for a feature film… but a lot of that is really far fetched!

Sales, from comics, reoccurring revenue from NFTs, as well as WFH freelance stuff would be my definition of success for me.

• redheadeded

Administrator
          January 18, 2022 at 1:51 am

Well I would love to visit your first Caribbean Villa someday, just let me know when Hurricane season is done. lol.

300 pages is a lot! I’d love to know your plan and please please please.. let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

What kind of Publishing are you looking for also? Maybe that is a good thing to talk about with people on the boards.
          Also copyright is big deal now, I’d love to chat about that around here too.
          Film and other media rights are always a big deal.
          As an End goal is sounds like a lot of people are interested in that sort of thing.

As for the money makers, my goals are very similar.. I want to have a diverse set of incomes.. and comics/freelance/ and NTF fall in to those categories nicely.

Looking forward to seeing how we make these things happen in the years to come. πŸ˜‰

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  redheadeded.
  • george-dawkins-ii

January 11, 2022 at 2:43 am
    make icon 70 Forum Points

I would say my end goal is to have movies, tv shows, and video games like the ones I’ve admired for so long made based off content I created. I will always be a writer, and that doesn’t just have to include comic books. This community has given me the opportunity to publish flash fiction which opens the door for me to express my ideas in other forms of written work. I’m still learning the business of comics, but I feel like one thing I’ve always known from watching the entertainment world over the years is that comics can turn into bigger things, and my goal is for those things to come to life by stories that I tell.

• redheadeded

Administrator
      January 11, 2022 at 9:47 am

George,

That’s awesome. I love your work. The Black Knight, or The Desert Fox as movies and games would be sooo cool!

Thanks for letting us know!

• RICHelDIOS

January 18, 2022 at 5:52 am
    make icon 20 Forum Points

What’s up Everyone,

My end goal for comics is simple, to work in the professional industry. I specifically would like to work for Marvel or Image. Specifically I want to write &amp; draw. I have a lot of ideas for classic characters &amp; my own original characters as well. <br />

I have no idea what it’ll look like when I get there, but I am eager to learn so that I can get into the comic book business.

Peace,

R!CH!

• redheadeded

Administrator
      January 19, 2022 at 7:18 am

@elDIOS

That is excellent. That is a very specific end goal and I’m glad you know where you want to go.

I stongly suggest you look through the old forums and youtube channels cause we have a LOT of great information on how to get started in Comics. Also the ComicBookSchool.com has a lot of posts about this as well.

And when you want to start applying to jobs in the industry reach out to the forums for feedback on writing and art and we love to help people up. There are submission guides and we know some pros around her that can help you learn to apply the best too.

So keep practicing and working and posting here we will get you connected and hopefully get you where you want to go! πŸ˜‰

Thanks,

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  redheadeded. Reason: line spacing
      • RICHelDIOS

January 20, 2022 at 7:35 am

Thanks for the response D. Alley. I will do what you suggested. I have a good feeling about this forum/joining this community. It made me nervous & I’m not a nervous guy. So usually for me that means I’m out of my comfort zone. Which is good as well.

• redheadeded

Administrator
          January 24, 2022 at 7:06 am

Great! I am glad you are here then, I am looking forward to seeing your work and hanging out now and when you reach your goals! πŸ˜‰

• -_-

January 25, 2022 at 7:30 am

TO have readers continue to ask me when the next issue is and know my work inspired others

• philipspace

January 25, 2022 at 9:08 am
      make icon 69 Forum Points

That is a worth aspiration!

• -_-

January 25, 2022 at 9:11 am

Thats my Why its the how that tricky

• redheadeded

Administrator
      January 25, 2022 at 9:35 am

Hey Hey Hey Rob,

When IS the next issue man? I am dying over here for new inspiration. πŸ˜‰

But Seriously though.. soon?

• Mr.AnderSiN

January 27, 2022 at 8:06 am
    make icon 75 Forum Points

It’s more like the 1st Continuum open for art no then outside of creation. This year so far

CatDad 2 Expanse Wolf N FOXx Eclipse 2 Unnamed continuum Monsters 3 BarbaraUNLEASHED launches an imprint Gets new content in each book as its re released and a new Dating BDSM Survey and a new issue
    CBS anthology
    And 3 secret unannounced projects

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now