Forums Forums Main Forum CHALLENGE: Most Recent Trade Paperback You’ve Read Reply To: CHALLENGE: Most Recent Trade Paperback You’ve Read

• thesurrealari

March 17, 2022 at 8:29 pm
    make icon Makes 6
    make icon 15 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Basically, yes, but it’s weird

First, despite its pretentious of character development, it’s still essentially an adolescent male fantasy. It’s the kind of comic I would have loved as a teenager more than now, but it’s still very well done.

Art wise, it’s great. Frank Miller is one of my favorite artists, and it’s a beautiful book to look at.

I had a few issues with the writing. First, every issue starts with the same set piece monologue by Wolverine. I’m Wolverine, I’m a mutant, these are my powers (and claws) I’m the best at what I do, but what I do isn’t very nice.

I understand why you would do that in a new monthly miniseries. They were trying to attract non-x-men readers to a new title, but in this, collected format, it becomes repetitive and annoying.

Also, I’ve read a bunch of Claremont and a bunch of Frank Miller. This book reads like Claremont trying to write like Frank Miller. It’s fine, but a bit jarring if you are used to Claremont’s normal style.

Lastly, the last few stories are not illustrated my Miller. There is a distinct style shift.

That said, overall an enjoyable read, and for the style, it’s one of the better books you’ll find. Definitely an enjoyable read.