Forums Forums Main Forum New Year’s Resolutions Reply To: New Year’s Resolutions

• thesurrealari

January 12, 2022 at 9:29 am
    make icon 10 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

D,

As we discussed before, I–and I know not everyone is like this–tend to do better with challenging goals. One of my biggest issues with the dominant SMART model is that it tends to encourage box-checking. If you accomplish 85 percent of a challenging goal, you might be further than along than accomplishing 100 percent of a modest one.

Also, both prose novels are holdovers from last year. On one, I’ve written 90K words already, on the other, about 25k (which is about half the likely total). So, that goal is more modest than it might seem.

In terms of the soft goals, I do not think that every goal needs to be measurable. There are soft skills upon which one can work–and upon which one can intend to improve. I think that some goals should be measurable, like the 100 submissions, but that some areas are worth working on that may be unmeasurable (for example, writing better similes). So, I don’t have metrics for everything. Not everything can be measured objectively, but that doesn’t me one should not resolve to improve those areas.