Forums Forums Main Forum LEARNING > Writing Live Chat – My Writing Hero Reply To: LEARNING > Writing Live Chat – My Writing Hero

• krisburgos

April 26, 2020 at 11:50 pm

A question for everyone…
    As it pertains to this Circle Story method of analysis/writing/plotting, is the reader more inclined to be invested in the STORY or the (main) character(s)? Personally, I’m more invested in seeing how a story plays out and I know that I’ll ENJOY it more if the characters are solid. I also think that if the story sucks in the first place, it doesn’t matter how amazing characters are, I’m probably not going to like it (which I believe explains my dislike of sit-coms). However, I feel that most people nowadays are the opposite and my reason for this is due to the fact that most (American) audiences can’t handle the sad/tragic ending anymore.

If the character goes through their arc following the method stated (circle), but the overall story doesn’t have a “pleasing” ending (hero wins/saves the day) I’ve found that many people are not fans of the story overall.

What are everyone’s thoughts?
    (If you can’t tell from my own plot, I have zero problem with the unhappy ending)