• philipspace

November 18, 2021 at 5:07 am
    make icon 69 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

I feel like the big challenge for digital comics is interface, more than anything else. Finding something that’s still pleasant to look at, readable, and accessible in a format that folks are already using. For reading on a phone I would say that Manga has the edge over American comics, being produced at a smaller size allows them to be scaled to a cellphone screen easily, which doesn’t hurt if scaled up to a tablet.

For the years when my publisher had a table to sell comics at the Emerald City con here in Washington, we found that older consumers were actually more keen to digital comics than the younger readers, so think Baby Boomers vs. Millennials. Younger folks enjoyed the tactile aspect of picking up a book, flipping through it, etc, whereas the older ones frequently remarked that they already had boxes and boxes of books accumulated over the years, so digital was nice because they didn’t need to worry about where to put the books when they were done reading them, and they felt guilty throwing them away.

I hope that digital picks up steam at some point, I certainly don’t mind reading a comic that way.