• philipspace

November 2, 2021 at 12:13 am
    make icon 69 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Speaking as a former Teamster, I’m inclined to offer a measure of support. I think it would be better for the industry as a whole if the Big Two were to unionize, given what I’ve heard about pay-rates for editorial and production staff, but Image doesn’t seem to have the clout that it once did, so it’s hard to gauge their industry impact as a whole. Keep in mind, unionizing doesn’t mean everybody automatically gets health care and a pension, the company has to figure out how to pay for that somehow from their surplus as part of overall employee compensation (and yes I am aware that pension availability has been disappearing like mad across the country). Setting up something like a 401k with employer match would probably be a good step, but doesn’t require unionizing to do so.
    Looking at reviews on Glassdoor (and taking them with the appropriate grain of salt), it sounds like the overall working conditions have not been favorably reviewed by the vast majority of former employees, citing poor relations with management. THAT would probably be the best conditions to unionize under, especially when the otherwise anonymous production staff risk losing their livelihood if they attempt to address grievances. Collective bargaining under those circumstances are exactly why unions were formed in the first place.