Forums Forums 8-Page Challenge #1 for NYCC 2020 (COMPLETED) #8PgChallenge – STEP 2 – Feedback + Plotting Reply To: #8PgChallenge – STEP 2 – Feedback + Plotting

• thesurrealari

April 19, 2020 at 8:45 am
    make icon 58 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

@mrkylerose: I appreciate the kind words about my idea. I hope I don’t disappoint, as there is only so much I will be able to get to within the 8 pages. It will be sort of like a pilot, which has to hint at the the possibilities (if it continues) while still making sense within the short story presented here.

As for your time travel story, I like the plotting. The circular narrative is tight, and the thing has an internal continuity that will work well in this short form. There are a lot of potential land mines with time travel and I think that going with the really tight plot will get you past most of them. It’s important to keep the action going, as there are always paradoxes.

The question I have is what you’re going to do to differentiate your story from other time travel loops: Is this going to be a character-focused piece, where the mc’s story is what holds are attention, or are you going to add some of the cool bells and whistles associate with the time-travel genre? I would keep it character-focused, but it’s your story and there are advantages and disadvantages either way.

Some interesting takes on the time-travel genre that work in short-form include the Peter Capaldi Doctor Who episode about the bootstrapper paradox, and the Alan Moore Time Twisters tale, Chronocops!, which appeared in 2000AD.