Forums Forums Main Forum Is “Toxic Hustle” a thing? Reply To: Is “Toxic Hustle” a thing?

• jojabarker

May 13, 2021 at 10:51 am
    make icon 66 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

It does seem that there’s multiple, nuanced facets to this concept of “Toxic Hustle.”

External and internal.

Boundaries and defining what success means to oneself.

Being okay with the choices we make to invest in career vs self-care investment.

I’m reading (the COMPLETE) Too Much Coffee Man and there’s an introduction from Shannon Wheeler sharing how much he dedicated HIMSELF to the project.

“I don’t necessarily remember drawing a certain cartoon, but I do remember what was happening in my life at the time. Happy. Sad. Heartbroken. In love. Drunk. Hung over. On deadline and unenthusiastic, inspired and exuberant…I cartooned through it all. And I sacrificed to meet deadlines. I put comics before relationships, health (mental and physical), and wealth. Is it worth it? Probably not. I barely hold on without the added burden of crippling addition. The work it takes maintaining my marginal life makes the thought of adding an addiction or two unimaginable. But who knows. The amount of stuff I don’t know could fill a bucket with a hole in it. The only thing I do know for sure is never doubt yourself…except maybe sometimes.” ~Shannon Wheeler, January 2017 (Introduction, pg 8 [from] “TMCM: Omnibus Plus”)

It’s excerpts like this I lean on whenever I’m faced with uncertainties as presented here in this discussion.

…and it may be true that I’m digressing from what’s being questioned, but as the excerpt says I have to ask myself, “Do I want to make those type of sacrifices?”

Something was addressed about “taking a hard look at oneself” i.e. taking stock a.k.a. an inventory of what’s working and what’s not, and what is worth the work.

And all I can do is end with another excerpt, “The working artist will not tolerate trouble in [their] life because [they] know trouble prevents [them] from doing [their] work. The working artist banishes from [their] world all sources of trouble. [They] harness the urge for trouble and transform it in [their] work.” ~Steven Pressfield (Resistance and Trouble, pg 24 [from] “The War of Art”)