Forums Forums 8-Page Challenge #1 for NYCC 2020 (COMPLETED) #8PgChallenge – STEP 10 – Colors Reply To: #8PgChallenge – STEP 10 – Colors

• philipspace

September 11, 2020 at 12:20 am
    make icon 69 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

I was curious about the black bars in the background of pg 6, as it was the only page with that detail — could you shine some light on your thought process with that page? it could be to bring attention to a seminal event in the comic, but without the typography just yet I was wondering.

Thank you for the encouragement! To answer your question, the black bars were basically a design impulse- I felt like there weren’t enough dark lines in the b&w phase to delineate the 4-panel sequence to my liking, so I decided to place the black stripes behind them to tie them together, then repeated for the following medium-shot panel. I figured if they looked wrong I could edit them out later. Heavy black creates an ominous feel, but since I didn’t want to change the tonality of the panel interiors to medieval-noir I steered away from spotting heavy blacks throughout the story.
    Also it felt more “jail break” to me.