• maryamsmarkers

June 21, 2020 at 6:13 pm
    make icon 71 Forum Points
    CBS Forum Member: Forum Acolyte

Here is the latest information from Professor Pooch’s enewsletter on “…Ideas” and the legalities. Within his e-newsletters it says to share with anyone who I believe would benefit- so we’re clear there to share! His email is below, and he says he doesn’t charge for questions. If you have a question – why not give him a shout.

Read below Professor Pooch June 16, 2020 enews edition:
    So, You Got This Great Idea…

Let’s say You have a great idea for a song, a film, a show, whatever and you know it’s got a great chance to be a big success. So, who can you trust enough to hear about your idea, whether it’s to work on a book together, develop a show, etc., etc., etc.

I mean, let’s face one logical fact: unless you have enough money, and you are talented enough, and you have enough time and are able to do and handle everything yourself, you’re going to have to talk to at least one somebody to see if they can even help you in whatever way you need help.

The usual 1st move is to go to someone You know…

“But, he’s my brother!” “I grew up with him!” “She’s my best friend!” I’ve heard that way too many times when people come to me to try to get them out of a mess…

I am sorry, but it’s a fact of life, and I’m sure you’ve heard the expression: “people change”. But also keep in mind: “people change people!” Using the first example above, maybe the brother trusts his wife, and his wife trusts someone else, and…

Or, maybe that person you grew up with that you shared this idea with, came upon some really hard times, and… I’m sure You know where I’m going with this.

So, you decide, there must be some way to protect your idea, so you can share your idea with people.

Nope, forget it! You can’t copyright it, trademark it, or patent it!

So, what the heck can you do so that you can proceed safely? Here are some ways that will at least give You some form of protection. These are:

1. Have an “NDA”, (Non-Disclosure Agreement). Basically it’s a secrecy agreement that 2 or more people agree to, and sign.

To paraphrase and over-simplify:

(They) “…agree not to tell anyone, or use for any reason or purpose, any personal or business information, contacts, info, products, data, or ideas, seen or heard, in any way, regarding the other person(s).

They also will admit that they will have access to certain confidential information and that that information is very valuable, special and unique. They would agree not to give this confidential information to any person or firm, corporation, association or other entity for any reason or purpose whatsoever, without the other party’s written okay.”

Etc.

[Note: Do Not Use the Above Example, As Is! it’s Incomplete and just for Educational Purposes. I’ve seen them 8 pages long! Mine average 6 pages, and usually include a “Non-Circumvent” clause, also (person cannot go around you, instead of through you, to deal with someone else you already deal with).]

1. To be covered by Copyright Law, an idea has to become more than an idea – it needs to be “an expression of that idea.” In other words, you can “see it” or “hear it.”

And remember, you don’t own that idea, you merely own a copyright in the expression of that idea.

For example, if you have an idea for a show, you can shoot a “trailer” (3 to 5-minute short, descriptive video). You can then see it and hear it, and it can now be copyrighted. Just use your imagination, the same imagination You used to come up with the idea.

If you have any further questions, I’m here for You! pooch@professorpooch.com
    [I Never Charge to Answer Questions.]