Your Early Sketches

8-Page Challenge Forums Main Forum Your Early Sketches

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Please share an early sketch from when you were just a young artist learning how to draw. Share something that you thought was particularly awesome at the time!

I’m tagging a few friends here to help get this started. TAGGING: @maryamsmark, @videogamingtalkblog, @blakgambit, @jojabarker, @gdawkins2, @mywritinghero, @mikedoestheart, @krisburgos, @andresbriano, @philipspace, @jarrodelvin, @artsmermaid, @thesurrealari, @redheadeded,

And I will post a few myself. Here’s a Nightcrawler that I did in when I was about 14 or 15 years old.

mikedoestheart
      Participant

@buddyscalera I can feel the angst Kurt is feeling mid-BAMF in this one!

I’ll have to dig deep to find some old art – unfortunately i lost most of it during a hurricane some years back. I do have this old piece from 2005 though. If I find some of my ‘classic’ ninja turtle fanart i’m definitely posting it up here!

Attachments:
      BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

That’s actually really good, @mikedoestheart. It looks like it could have been a card in Magic: The Gathering.

maryamsmarkers

I have to dig them out but I did see an old folder from grade school with a doodle or two, I said to myself “thank you dad, for sending me to art school as an after-school activity.” I’m much better now, lol. @buddyscalera

Redheadeded

I can’t get to the one I mentioned to Buddy from middle school, in a box, under a box.. in a stuffed closet. But … this one was more readily accessable.

It was written in a taxi on the way back to the hotel, when I followed my Dad on a business trip to Thailand. He would always buy things for my Mom, cause he really loves that woman. He had jewelers in every country we visited make stuff for her – custom. I would model it for him (cause we look very similar) and the men in the shop would always say “This man is so nice to buy you nice things!” and I would smile and say “No, they are for his wife…” shocked looks all around. “…My Mom!” would melt into smiles. This time he asked what I would like, weird the things you remember looking at old crap sketches.

But then he’d always get a little something for my sister and me.. I didn’t know he went back and bought the first thing I picked up, ruby earrings that I still wear to all the special occasions with my Dad, and just like with my Mom’s jewerly he always notices.

Erin, the Redheadeded.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Redheadeded.
      mikedoestheart
      Participant

@buddyscalera thanks! I always had a fondness for Magic cards (and an aversion to winning in Magic against anybody).

@redheadeded
      this drawing is a treasure – you documented this trip from your perspective in the past, what a cool peak into your psyche

philipspace
      Participant

I drew this shortly after High School, so about 1994-95 or so.
      One of my favorites from that time, and right around the time that I first started to feel like I was getting the hang of storytelling.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by philipspace.
      philipspace
      Participant

Sorry about the double posting, I tried to scale the blurry jpeg down to a more readable format on the second try, which doesn’t apparently eliminate the first one.

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

@redheadeded love this! Every dad and daughter can relate. Daughters should never shop with dad. Nailed it.

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

This is great work @philipspace! I love the detail of the foliage. The close ups are a clear indicator of an emerging storyteller.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Skip to toolbar