Questions & Answers

Viewing 61 reply threads
  • Author
      BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Do you you have questions about the 8-Page Challenge? Post them here and we will answer them for everyone.

philipspace
      Participant

Just a few off the top of my head;

1) Will the stories be based on pre-existing scripts, or will artists be encouraged to develop their own stories (or either/both)?

2) I’m assuming that these stories will be original creations. Will fan-fiction or stories involving non-creator owned characters (Spawn or Iron Man, for example) be accepted, since no compensation will be involved?

3) I have an (as-yet unpublished) 8-page short story that I’ve illustrated using original characters. Can I submit that, or is part of the challenge demonstrating ability to follow the editorial/production schedule (arguably just as important as demonstrating ability to illustrate)?

Thank you for taking the time to answer these, and I look forward to participating!

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Thanks for sharing your questions, @Philipspace. We’re happy to have you here with us.

Your questions and my answers. I invite anyone on the council to answer as well. Here goes.

1) Will the stories be based on pre-existing scripts, or will artists be encouraged to develop their own stories (or either/both)?

Creators are encouraged to create something new with a partner. If you are able to write and draw your own comics, you may need to collaborate with an inker, a colorist, or a letterer. You can do it all yourself or you can collaborate. This is

2) I’m assuming that these stories will be original creations. Will fan-fiction or stories involving non-creator owned characters (Spawn or Iron Man, for example) be accepted, since no compensation will be involved?

Original creations and public-domain characters only. You will retain ownership of the characters you create.

Here is a list of public-domain characters, if you want to explore that as an option.

3) I have an (as-yet unpublished) 8-page short story that I’ve illustrated using original characters. Can I submit that, or is part of the challenge demonstrating ability to follow the editorial/production schedule (arguably just as important as demonstrating ability to illustrate)?

Good question. New scripts only. Create something new and participate in the community experience.

Thanks for noting the editorial/production schedule. It’s an important skill to develop and we’d like everyone to have a shared experience.

This is “only” 8 pages. It will be a real challenge and a great learning experience for anyone who participates.

Armond
      Participant

I won’t be able to participate in the hangouts meeting. Is that a requirement? If not, how do I put my name in the hat as a letterer? I’m a writer, but I’m looking for more experience as a letterer.

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

That’s a great question @Armond. We’re all going to need letterers, that’s for sure. Plus, it is a great skill to have, if you want to create comics.

The answer is that we are going to create and moderate a board where creators can look for collaborators. We’re not exactly sure now to structure it and moderate it, but it’s coming.

In the meantime, I’ll look forward to you participating in the conversation here. We welcome you to our community. 😀

Hi. It´s really dificult for me to participate in the hangouts because of the diferent time (Portugal). Can i still participate?

Redheadeded

You can totaly participate from anywhere in the world. If you can’t make the call, that’s ok we are working on posting videos and chat’s and there is always a couple people in the forums. We’d still love to have you in our community if love comics as much as we do. 😉

Thanks,
      Erin (ASKA the Redheadeded)

K S
      Participant

Are there samples posted anywhere that show examples of what should be produced by the end of each week ?

Redheadeded

@KS not yet… Buddy is working on this with the Council, we hope to have more solid examles as time goes on.. for now the story and team gathering phase is just begun.

Think of your story as the elevador pitch. We just need to know the who, what, where, and why of your story. So we can get the right people teamed up for the right story. We will follow up before the end of the week with more guidelines and new instructional threads to follow. 🙂

Thanks,
      Erin (AKA the Redheadeded)

I actually have a prepared script in mind for the challenge. It would be for my 4th comic issue. Is this acceptable, and if so could I work with my personal illustrator like I’ve done in the past?

Redheadeded

@gdawkins2

This started as a challenge to get people who are not normally creativly motivated to get something done, lighting a fire under their butt’s so to speak. We are hoping to get a bunch of people inspired to do new things they haven’t done before and possibly enter the world of comics that they haven’t been able to accomplish previously; as a writer, artist, editor, letterer etc.

Because of that we are mostly looking for new ideas. I’m not sure putting a 4th or 5th issue comic fits with that goal, however that’s just my opinion, and I’d love to hear from the community if they agree? I don’t want to stiffle your ideas or works, that is the exact opposite of the goal. But the 8 page challenge is a beginner one at heart. So maybe see if there is a story or idea you have had in your back pocket for a while that might work for this instead.

But again, that’s just my opinon.. Let’s see what everybody else thinks?

Thanks,
      Erin (AKA the Redheadeded)

When you put it that way, I just dug up a story from my back pocket I made years ago that I’m willing to use for the challenge.

Andrés Briano
      Participant

Hey Buddy and Council,
      Fantastic initiative! Kudos!

A couple of questions from my end:

1) When it comes to story, are we free to chose any theme/subject matter/genre? I assume there will be some guidelines as to what content you DO NOT want in it, right? Drugs, profanity, nudity, mullets, etc…?

2) What are the mandatory specs? 8 pages, original characters or public domain and Standard US comic page are clear. What about these? Color and/or B&W accepted? Rating (All Audiences, PG-13, R, XXX)? Any other limitation?

3) Has the total and final number of stories that will make the cut been decided yet? I assume that inclusion will be decided on merit by “judges”, correct?

I await your answers.

Cheers,

Andrés

Todd Matthy
      Participant

How detailed should my story proposal be?

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Dear @Andreas:

1) When it comes to story, are we free to chose any theme/subject matter/genre? I assume there will be some guidelines as to what content you DO NOT want in it, right? Drugs, profanity, nudity, mullets, etc…?

We’re aiming for PG-13. While you can’t appeal to everyone’s sensibilities, we suggest you create your story to PG-13 standards. You can deal with a lot of themes in PG-13, but what you show on panel and off panel is usually what sets the rating. No nudity, no hate speech or propoganda.

If you’re working on a biography of my high-school hairstyle, then mullets are fine. Otherwise, only for horror stories.

2) What are the mandatory specs? 8 pages, original characters or public domain and Standard US comic page are clear. What about these? Color and/or B&W accepted? Rating (All Audiences, PG-13, R, XXX)? Any other limitation?

8 Pages. Original chararacters or public domain characters. PG-13

Standard comic book specs (details to be posted in our resources section; coming soon).

3) Has the total and final number of stories that will make the cut been decided yet? I assume that inclusion will be decided on merit by “judges”, correct?

We’re aiming to include everyone who participates, unless there is a need to remove a story. Since we’ll be preparing the final comic as a digital download, we don’t have a required page count for a printer or anything.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by BuddyScalera.
      BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Dear @ToddMathy,

Your story proposal will usually be about 1-3 paragraphs at most.

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Dear @ToddMathy,

Your story proposal will usually be about 1-3 paragraphs at most.

Kyle Rose
      Participant

Hey @buddyscalera, is there a specific sub-thread we should be posting each week’s stage of the challenge, or should we create a new one for that use?

Andrés Briano
      Participant

Hey @Buddy,

Thanks for your answer. 🙂

As much as the prospect of working on a biography of your high-school hairstyle, in the horror genre no less, appeals to me… I’ll leave that for next year’s NYCC.

Great news that there’ll be no filtering other than suitable content. You are giving us all a chance. Much appreciated. 🙂

Cheers,
      Andrés

jholder12
      Participant

Are we allowed to use some of our own original characters from our own IPs? Like, as a self-published author, I’d love to make a comic exploring other aspects of some characters I’ve created.

A. A. Rubin

I believe so as long as it’s an original, standalone story that will work for someone who has no knowledge of your other work, and that it’s a story you create now, by following the steps and benchmarks delineated in the challenges.

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Hey @jholder12 – I agree with @thesurrealari. It’s actually a great idea to share your original ideas based on characters you’ve created. It’s a good way to expose people to the other work you are doing.

It’s a good idea to ensure that you are clear about your characters, so people can appreciate a short story about them. It’s not easy to accomplish, but it is doable. If you look at some of the examples I’ve provided here, you can see how other creators address short stories.

How to Create a Story Idea for an 8-Page Comic | #8PgChallenge

Andrés Briano
      Participant

The call that starts in a couple of minutes, where can I find the link to join?

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

No call this Sunday, @andresbriano.

Andrés Briano
      Participant

Thanks for the clarification, @BuddyScalera. I was confused by the calendar entry. Yesterday from 7 to 8pm. I thought that meant a call. Is this explained in some detail anywhere?

Cheers!

Doug Wood
      Participant

There does not seem to be nearly enough artists for all writing participants. Should we writers begin looking for artists outside of here to pair up with?

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Yes, @teamwood. Absolutely.

Part of the challenge is to assemble your team. I mean, eventually in the future, we hope to have enough creators of all kinds participating. In the meantime, we encourage you to use the early stages of the project to find an artist.

At cons like NYCC, we have Creator Connection. Online, we’re just going to have to meet and engage people on social media and bring them into the project.

Anyone on the Council of the Willing have anything to suggest that has worked for them?

Tagging: @jojabarker @videogamingtalkblog @redheadeded @writtensinsnetwork @musebait @artsmermaid @maryamsmark @gdawkins2 @jeffrider @blakgambit @videogamingtalkblog @thesurrealari

Doug Wood
      Participant

Oh in that case r/comicbookcollabs or digital webbing.

Zammap
      Participant

Maybe they’re just not posting since their time isn’t up yet?

Andrés Briano
      Participant

Sorry if the answer to my question is obvious, but I can’t find a link for the chat that starts in 25min. I don’t see it in the calendar invite. What am I missing?

Andrés Briano
      Participant

Joining info Join Hangouts Meet
      meet.google.com/rjp-uqgy-mhk

Redheadeded

Great glad to hear it! Looking forward to see what you will work on.

🙂 Erin

Jarrod Elvin
      Participant

Hi Buddy, today (tonight) in the video call with Catherine Kirch’s presentation, you made mention of the acceptable number of elements in a comic page. I think you said 21 elements is the maximum and 14 is too few. I find this interesting, would you be able to give us more information on that at some point during the challenge, please?
      I have more questions like; What counts as these elements? -Would it be correct to assume that 17-19 is the optimal amount? etc, but I’m happy to wait until the appropriate time in the challenge to have them answered.
      Thank you,
      Jarrod.

Andrés Briano
      Participant

Hey @BuddyScalera, I was thinking about collaboration agreements between writers and artists. I’ve had this article bookmarked on my browser for a few years.

https://litreactor.com/columns/dont-write-comics-how-to-write-comics-part-4

And it always seemed important. There are many horror stories out there of people having terrible collaborations and wasting money with nothing to show for it.

DISCLAIMER: I am not insinuating by any means that anybody here is less than professional. But since this is a learning experience, I was thinking that we might touch on this subject for future reference.

Have you thought about including some form of this in the curriculum?

Cheers,

ANdrés

philipspace
      Participant

@redheadeded Will we be posting art on one of these message boards for character concepts, penciled/inked/colored pages, etc.?

One of your previous posts left me with the impression that we might be working with memory storage limitations on this forum.
      Thank you!

Zach
      Participant

Hi all, thanks for doing this! Really excited to participate! A couple of quick questions…

1. Due date? I tried checking the Calendar but it’s not displaying for me for some reason (I’ve confirmed my email etc). I’ll keep trying to troubleshoot the calendar, but wanted to make sure the deadline isn’t fast approaching.
      2. I’ve seen it noted that the creators retain the rights to the characters created – what rights are we granted for publishing? Can I republish the 8 page comic on my own after it’s published in the collection?
      philipspace
      Participant

@BuddyScalera Technical question: How do we share images on this forum? I can’t seem to figure it out. Help!

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Good question @philipspace – We can add “attachments” in a post. You can see the Attachments button at the bottom of every post.

That said, it’s not very good. I’m attaching an image, so you can see it.

As we speak, @videogamingtalkblog and I are trying to add some features to the message boards. One of those is a better way to add attachments.

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Good questions @zach

Due date? I tried checking the Calendar but it’s not displaying for me for some reason (I’ve confirmed my email etc). I’ll keep trying to troubleshoot the calendar, but wanted to make sure the deadline isn’t fast approaching.

If you are using Gmail on the Chrome browser, things will definitely work better.

I’ve seen it noted that the creators retain the rights to the characters created – what rights are we granted for publishing? Can I republish the 8 page comic on my own after it’s published in the collection?

You will retain all rights. You and your collaborators will own your characters and your stories. We will show you how to format your copyright line to ensure that your copyright is displayed properly in our digital anthology. You are free to do whatever you’d like with your copyrighted work, but you would need to connect with other creators, if you wanted to utilize their work.

Jarrod Elvin
      Participant

I see that the Initial Character Designs are due, but I can’t see a thread for STEP 4. Is there a place where we should post our initial character designs yet? 🙂

Kirk
      Participant

hey all

I just found out about this and I’m hoping to dive right in so should I go back and do the first 3 assignments in their threads?

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Hi @shamaraman:

You can start here:

How to Create a Story Idea for an 8-Page Comic | #8PgChallenge

I’ll add you to our group calendar, so you can get the reminders.

Matthew Timpanelli
      Participant

Is there going to be a cover page for each story? Where should credits go etc…

Evan Scale
      Participant

It may be a little early to ask this, but is there a specific page size we should be working on? Will we be given a template or page dimensions?
      Also, are bleeding panels (off page) ok to include/do?

Jarrod Elvin
      Participant

Hi everyone,
      A couple of quick questions on my mind:
      -What is a good font size to use in relation to page size when doing digital lettering? (This is in regard to layout/thumbnails and planning speech bubble size)
      -Are we keeping our comics at a PG rating for the publication?

I’m having a great time being part of this challenge! 😀

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Hey @evanscale – You should use standard 11×17″ art boards. I don’t draw, so I can’t recommend a particular brand.

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Glad you’re participating, @jarrodelvin!

We’re not up to the lettering stage yet. We’ll provide some details on how to prepare your lettering when we get to that step. We’ll do it together.

Jarrod Elvin
      Participant

thanks @buddyscalera I look forward to it!

Arielle Lupkin

Are there specific comic specs we should follow when we start drawing (ex: size, binding, border, margin, bleed)? This my first actual comic (I’ve only ever done storyboards before) just want to double check so that I have everything in proportion and what a good standard is.

If it helps, my drawing program has these presets: B4-6 and A4-6.

Jarrod Elvin
      Participant

Is it advised or recommended to draw our pages traditionally (on paper)? I do most of my work these days digitally, (mainly for convenience and efficiency) but I was just wondering if there is any reason not to do the pages of our comic (or any comic) digitally, other than the selling value of the original paper pages? (I don’t have a market for my original pages anyway, and would not know where to begin selling them)

philipspace
      Participant

@Jarrodelvin you should be fine with digital, since we all have to go digital at some point in the process anyway.

The hardest part in anything that’s going to print is really formatting- eg. what file type, resolution, etc to send images in. When I was in print production a few years back we would get files that ranged from 1200dpi (like what you might put on the side of a bus) to images people pulled off of facebook, or their out-of-date flip phones. Too big can be a pain to work with (though do-able), too small is impossible. At least this way you won’t have to worry about having a working large-format scanner 😉

maryamsmarkers

@andresbriano thank you for posting the collaboration agreement. Do any of you know Professor Pooch?
      Who is the man with the legal artist plan?
      POOCH
      (Imagine Shaft music🎶 )

He sends out amazing newsletters discussing Artist legality, contracts and the likes there of. He was my professor in undergrad. I totally love this man knowledge! I swear he’s great. I asked his to join so hopefully he shall. He also has books on Amazon – check him out and I believe he’s still a Professor.
      ProfessorPooch.com

I’ll copy and paste his last e-newsletter discussing “Ideas”… of course he has so much information to share. I’ll post more that is relevant. He also works with musicians too. Between now and when he joins I’ll review his newsletters for contract details for those who are collaborating, and for those who want to plan past our 8-page challenge. Always plan for tomorrow with contracts – especially as artist. More so as artist and writers – I’d recommend.

maryamsmarkers

Here is the latest information from Professor Pooch’s enewsletter on “…Ideas” and the legalities. Within his e-newsletters it says to share with anyone who I believe would benefit- so we’re clear there to share! His email is below, and he says he doesn’t charge for questions. If you have a question – why not give him a shout.

Read below Professor Pooch June 16, 2020 enews edition:
      So, You Got This Great Idea…

Let’s say You have a great idea for a song, a film, a show, whatever and you know it’s got a great chance to be a big success. So, who can you trust enough to hear about your idea, whether it’s to work on a book together, develop a show, etc., etc., etc.

I mean, let’s face one logical fact: unless you have enough money, and you are talented enough, and you have enough time and are able to do and handle everything yourself, you’re going to have to talk to at least one somebody to see if they can even help you in whatever way you need help.

The usual 1st move is to go to someone You know…

“But, he’s my brother!” “I grew up with him!” “She’s my best friend!” I’ve heard that way too many times when people come to me to try to get them out of a mess…

I am sorry, but it’s a fact of life, and I’m sure you’ve heard the expression: “people change”. But also keep in mind: “people change people!” Using the first example above, maybe the brother trusts his wife, and his wife trusts someone else, and…

Or, maybe that person you grew up with that you shared this idea with, came upon some really hard times, and… I’m sure You know where I’m going with this.

So, you decide, there must be some way to protect your idea, so you can share your idea with people.

Nope, forget it! You can’t copyright it, trademark it, or patent it!

So, what the heck can you do so that you can proceed safely? Here are some ways that will at least give You some form of protection. These are:

1. Have an “NDA”, (Non-Disclosure Agreement). Basically it’s a secrecy agreement that 2 or more people agree to, and sign.

To paraphrase and over-simplify:

(They) “…agree not to tell anyone, or use for any reason or purpose, any personal or business information, contacts, info, products, data, or ideas, seen or heard, in any way, regarding the other person(s).

They also will admit that they will have access to certain confidential information and that that information is very valuable, special and unique. They would agree not to give this confidential information to any person or firm, corporation, association or other entity for any reason or purpose whatsoever, without the other party’s written okay.”

Etc.

[Note: Do Not Use the Above Example, As Is! it’s Incomplete and just for Educational Purposes. I’ve seen them 8 pages long! Mine average 6 pages, and usually include a “Non-Circumvent” clause, also (person cannot go around you, instead of through you, to deal with someone else you already deal with).]

1. To be covered by Copyright Law, an idea has to become more than an idea – it needs to be “an expression of that idea.” In other words, you can “see it” or “hear it.”

And remember, you don’t own that idea, you merely own a copyright in the expression of that idea.

For example, if you have an idea for a show, you can shoot a “trailer” (3 to 5-minute short, descriptive video). You can then see it and hear it, and it can now be copyrighted. Just use your imagination, the same imagination You used to come up with the idea.

If you have any further questions, I’m here for You! pooch@professorpooch.com
      [I Never Charge to Answer Questions.]

Evan Scale
      Participant

I seem to have trouble uploading on Step 8 – Pencils.
      Finds an error with the Captcha. It expires a bunch of times before the upload completes, and even if I press it again it won’t submit the post.

Any tips?

Evan Scale
      Participant

Nevermind, got it fixed. File size was a bit over 8mb, hadn’t noticed.

Zach
      Participant

Hi all,

Huge bummer about NYCC 2020 cancelling the in-person con, but completely understandable I guess, given the circumstances. Is there any word on whether or not this affects CBS’s plans on publishing the anthology?

I’m still planning on finishing the 8 pages either way, but was wondering what news there was.

Thanks,
      Z

Evan Scale
      Participant

@buddyscalera
      Can we separately promote the pages (tagging appropriately and providing links to the challenge)? I mean apart from retweeting Comic Book School’s tweets.
      Is there a limit on how much we can share online? Should we wait for the challenge to end before sharing?

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Good question @evanscale.

You should test what works for you. Usually one tweet per day is a good starting point. Promote your work and the work of others. Tag them, so they can retweet. It’s all a learning process.

Use the platform to promote yourself. It’s fine if you send people here or to your own website. Just try to be consistent.

It’s important not to make it only about you, so coordinate with some of the other people in your network to raise your visibility.

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Glad that helped @evanscale. Here’s an example tweeting up @thesurrealari.

Evan Scale
        Participant

Awesome! That helps as well!
        Thanks

K S
      Participant

What is the final file format and size we need to output the files in? I am working on letters in illustrator and want to make sure I do the final file prep correct from the start thanks!

Zach
      Participant

Apologies for the potentially dumb question, but! Should the colors be in RGB or CMYK? I’m assuming PDF/digital to start, but I was not sure if there is print planned for the future, we should just share the CMYK pages?

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

I’ll be sending out some information soon about format. But the digital version will be RGB.

Good questions

@ottobott
      & @evolver

• This reply was modified 3 days, 10 hours ago by BuddyScalera.
Viewing 61 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Skip to toolbar