Live Chat #3: Ron Lim & Darren Sanchez of Marvel Comics | 5/2/2020

8-Page Challenge Forums Creator Challenge – 8-Page Challenge for NYCC 2020 Live Chat #3: Ron Lim & Darren Sanchez of Marvel Comics | 5/2/2020

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

EVENT: Artist Live Chat
      FEATURED GUESTS: Ron Lim & Darren Sanchez
      HOST: Buddy Scalera
      DATE: May 2, 2020
      TIME: 8:00 – 9:30 PM EST

PURPOSE:
      Ron Lim is the artist on the Avengers Assemble sample story that we’ve been using as an example for our 8-Page Challenge.

Here’s the lastest post: https://www.comicbookschool.com/8-page-comic-plot-revision/

Ron and our Marvel Comics editor Darren Sanchez will talk about how we go from script to art. Ron will share his thumbnails and pencil art and explain how he begins his process.

We can use these message boards to begin asking questions that you would like for me to ask Ron and/or Darren during the live chat.

About the Comic Book School 8-Page Challenge

Read Step 1: How to Create a Story Idea

Read Step 2: How to Break Down the Plot for Your Story

Read the announcement for the 8-Page Challenge

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Hey, all. I’m just sending out a quick reminder that we have Ron Lim and Darren Sanchez on tonight. If you have questions in advance for Ron Lim or Darren Sanchez, please post it here.

There was some great feedback from our last chat:
      Longer format – Last chat was 60 minutes. This one is 90 minutes.
      Advanced questions – Last two chats we fielded questions live. Here’s where we can post questions

This chat is directly related to the example I’m sharing here:
      https://www.comicbookschool.com/8-page-comic-plot-revision/ as Ron Lim is the artist on the issue.

This is the issue the story appears in, even though my name isn’t in the credits.
      https://www.comixology.com/Avengers-Assemble-Time-Will-Tell/digital-comic/712948

Tagging: @maryamsmark @jojabarker @videogamingtalkblog @redheadeded @writtensinsnetwork @musebait @artsmermaid @gdawkins2 @jeffrider @blakgambit @videogamingtalkblog @thesurrealari

Kpei137

For artist, how does one deal with negative space for a cover and how does one deal with negative space in a panel?

A. A. Rubin

Do you have any advice for how to adapt the protocols that you’re using with Marvel to an indie/creator-owned situation, where, often at this stage in the process there’s just a writer and artist without an editor overseeing the process/revisions?

A. A. Rubin

Do you have any advice for how to adapt the protocols that you’re using with Marvel to an indie/creator-owned situation, where, often at this stage in the process there’s just a writer and artist without an editor overseeing the process/revisions?

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Thanks for joining the chat, everyone! I really appreciate the smart questions too.

Evan Scale
      Participant

Thank you for the event! It was really helpful!

There are a couple of questions I have that came up after the chat.
      Buddy mentioned that the pages shown were less light-heavy (not too many spot blacks etc) since the story was targeting younger audiences.
      How can we best figure out how to work on details and lighting, based on our comic book’s audience?

Is it advisable for an artist to include samples in his/her portfolio that are targeting various different audiences to show versatility, or would he/she rather focus on a specific one?

philipspace
      Participant

@evanscale The advice I’ve received is to focus your efforts on the kinds of format that the publisher produces, eg. don’t show your X-Men samples to Archie comics, your anime samples to Marvel, etc.

Whenever you ask someone (anyone) for a job you want to try to see things from their perspective, since if they’re hiring there is obviously a position they are trying to fill. People appreciate this level of attention to their needs, and the job seeker will do well to provide it.

Is there a place we can check out your art?

philipspace
      Participant

@evanscale Awesome work!

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

So @Evanscale good questions. I will try to answer them:

How can we best figure out how to work on details and lighting, based on our comic book’s audience?

I think the best thing is to find what art style tells your story best. If you look at Gene Colan on Dracula or Daredevil, that art style made sense:

Gene Colan’s Tomb of Dracula Artist’s Edition

http://www.theothermurdockpapers.com/2011/06/gene-colans-daredevil/

He was an artist known for his bold use of shadows and blacks, so editors found work that matched his style.

As a new artist, you need to work in the style that you want to work in. If you want to do dark, moody work (like Gene Colan), then try to find writers who will write to your artistic strengths.

If you want to work in all-ages comics, you should look at what gets published and use that as a guide for what editors are hiring artists to draw.

Is it advisable for an artist to include samples in his/her portfolio that are targeting various different audiences to show versatility, or would he/she rather focus on a specific one?

Some versatility is good, but consistency is more important. For example, if you deliver highly rendered pages, that’s what editors will think you want to do. If it turns out to be something you don’t like to do or it takes you too long, you’ll start to disappoint your editors. You’ll start to miss deadline.

Focus on drawing in your own style, get really good at it, and be incredibly consistent with it.

Hope this helps.

Andrés Briano
      Participant

Hey @redheadeded and team,
      Is the recording of last Sunday’s talk available to watch? I was unfortunately not able to attend. 🙁

mywritinghero
        Participant

I’d like to know, too! I was able to attend the first half but had to duck out early for family obligations. But that first half was AMAZING! Looking forward to watching the recording. 🙂

John Ashton Golden
      Participant

Where are we to post our character designs? I don’t see a Step 4 thread…

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Hey @johnnygoldenart, just got it posted. Check it out here:

How to Create Character Sheets for Your 8-Page Comic Story | #8PgChallenge – Step 4
      https://www.comicbookschool.com/8-page-comic-character-sheets/

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Skip to toolbar