Flash Fiction Challenge

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      A. A. Rubin

Here is another opportunity for writers and artists to create something for inclusion in the #8PageChallenge. @buddyscalera asked me to share this opportunity here, so I’m posting the details here for the community first, so here is the call. Please ask any questions in the thread.

What: Comic Book School invites writers to submit illuminated flash fiction pieces, which will be included in the #8PageChallenge anthology. Each story will run opposite a full-page illustration, drawn either by the writers themselves or by artists within the Comic Book School Community. Writers are encouraged to find artists on the create.comicbookschool.com message boards. The community will also attempt to pair interested artists with participating writers, although we cannot guarantee a match.

Word Count: 250-500 words

Genre: Open, all ages

Deadline and schedule:Deadline extended Monday, September 14: draft, outline, or concept due to artist and to be posted on the message boards; Monday, September 21st: final story and art due.

Notes: 1.Artists and writers are encouraged–but not required–to post additional updates on the message boards throughout the process. 2. Writers and artists who are participating in the 8 Page Challenge can work on one flash fiction piece as well, thus each artist or writer can contribute to one story in each genre.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by BuddyScalera.
      • This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by A. A. Rubin. Reason: Deadline extended
      • This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by A. A. Rubin. Reason: Deadline extended
      • This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by A. A. Rubin.
      Kpei137

this is great now I just need to figure out how to get my story down to 500 words and then I’ll be able to submit an outline and look for an artist

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by Kpei137.
      BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

I’ve found that it’s easier to tell a short, unrelated story @videogamingtalkblog. I’ll be writing something up to tell a side story with my characters.

Kpei137

cool, I will work on that when I get some free time

I know I’m like a week early but I wanted to submit this draft I just finished. This is another story idea I have based off a short story I wrote for one of my English courses during my sophomore year of college. That short story was over 3500 words so it was a bit challenging to shorten it but I felt like it would be the most appropriate for a flash fiction. Please let me know your thoughts on it.

It’s attached here

Arielle Lupkin

I’d love to do a piece 🙂

Are there any artists who’d be willing to illustrate my story?

Redheadeded

@gdawkins2 — Did you find an artist? If not let me know.. I like your stuff, I’m busy but I’d love to help out. 🙂

Thanks,
        Erin, the Redheadeded.

A. A. Rubin

I am considering a few concepts, depending on the artists who are interested: Sci-Fi post apocalyptic, involving the ruins of NYC landmarks like the Metropolitan Museum and the NYPL central branch; Comedic fantasy in the vein of Terry Pratchett; Horror involving a wishing well.

Artists, let me know if any of these strike your fancy…

A. A. Rubin

I am considering a few concepts, depending on the artists who are interested: Sci-Fi post apocalyptic, involving the ruins of NYC landmarks like the Metropolitan Museum and the NYPL central branch; Comedic fantasy in the vein of Terry Pratchett; Horror involving a wishing well.

Artists, let me know if any of these strike your fancy…

Redheadeded

Ok, here is a link (Prolog) to my entery.. I will be getting in contact with Cathy soon to see how best to cut this WAY down as it is a prolog to a much longer story and hopefully someday a full fledged comic book series in it’s own right. I will have the drawing posted by Friday.

@gdawkins2
      your story sounds really interesting, I am hooked to hear more!
      – Also I am available after this week if people need help with things, I respond quicker on slack and discord, as I’m super/doopey slow on the message boards sorry for that.

Hope to see you guys (online or around the internet) soon. 🙂

Thanks,
      Erin, the Redheadeded

A. A. Rubin

Here are the ideas I’m working on in a bot more detail. As I mentioned before, the one I end up doing will depend on the artist with whom I, eventually, work. Artists, please let me know if you’d be interested in drawing any of these ideas.

Idea #1: This is a horror story based on a short twitter story I wrote. The original story is about 50 words, so I would have to expand it, but it gives an excellent outline for the story. I’ve received a lot of positive reaction to the story. It was read on a podcast for flash fiction. I think it would work nicely with an illustration that borders on classic horror and fairytale.

A forest so verdant it must be enchanted; an old well so deep she could not see the bottom; a wish made in haste; a coin thrown in anger.

Later, from the comfort of home, she hoped it wouldn’t come true, but, deep down, she knew it was too late.

Idea # 2: Fantasy/Western. The story starts with two wizards facing each other across a dusty road, in the classic, spaghetti-western gunfighters stance. “This town ain’t big enough for the two of us. It follows the classic tropes: tumbleweed across the road, squinty-eyed stare-down, the townsfolk battening down the hatches, etc. At noon, the clock strikes noon. At the 12th chime, they draw their staffs, and shoot. The magic from one hits the other, with all the pulpy description one would expect, and then–and here’s the twist, the wizards, still connected by the magic, start moving away from each other as everything in the town doubles–two saloons, too general stores, two post offices, two sheriff’s offices, etc–until the town is double the size. Now, the town IS big enough for both of them.

Idea #3: Horror-ish: The Devil’s biggest regret is giving his music to Robert Johnson down at the crossroads. Life in Hell is hard, and the guitar used to be his escape. Now, Lucifer has the blues, but he can no longer play them.

Idea #4: I have a number of narrative poem, and I’m considering two of them for this project. Now, the word-count would have to be smaller, since poetry takes up more space on the page, and if we want to restrict this to just flash fiction, I could do one of the previous three ideas. I’m not going to post a complete poem here, since it would count as being published and I therefore would not be able to submit them elsewhere if i decide to go with another idea, but I’ll post the first stanza of two different poems.

Poem 1–Classic Scifi

The sentinels protect us
      From danger from above
      They have no sense of duty
      They have no sense of love
      But their programming’s infallible
      We know, our leaders said
      It better be, ‘cause if they fail
      We will all be dead.

Poem 2- weird horror

The monster lives inside of me
      Deep inside my heart
      You think I’m being figurative
      But, really, I am not

Poem 3- Scifi

We live in peace and harmony
      ‘neath our alien overlords.
      Life is pretty grand here
      —Really—
      (Hail the Zords!)

Anyway, let me know if you’re interested in drawing any of these. I can bang the ideas out pretty quickly once I’ve selected one.

A. A. Rubin

ICYMI: The deadline for the initial draft has been extended by a week. You now have until Monday, September 14th to form teams and commit to the project. The final deadline remains the same.

A. A. Rubin

ICYMI: The deadline for the initial draft has been extended by a week. You now have until Monday, September 14th to form teams and commit to the project. The final deadline remains the same.

A. A. Rubin

Bumping up the thread one more time. Writers get your ideas in; artists check out the ideas to see if any catch your interest.

Redheadeded

OK, I’m not sure how late submitions can be turned-in, but here is mine.
      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GMI0R64CwxsDrS0HCUQnouvzZGVPrgYoBhJm8WsgMXQ/edit?usp=sharing

Please let me know if that works, I have never written anything so short before. Working on the drawing for this week.

Please let me know if you need anything else for this.

Thanks,
      Erin, the Redheadeded

mikedoestheart
      Participant

@thesurrealari – I love your story of the two wizards dueling — if someone hasn’t thrown their hat in the ring for that one, I’d love to work with you on that concept!

A. A. Rubin

@MikeDoesTheArt Definitely. Looking forward to working with you.

A. A. Rubin

Looking back on the thread, it appears we have 5 entries:

@redheadeded
      is illustrating her own story, so she should be all set to go.

@Mikedoestheart
      is illustrating my story, so we’re also all set to procede.

@buddyscalera
      do you have someone illustrating your story?

@Gdawkins2
      and @videogamingtalkblog were searching for artists at last check in. @artsmermaid wanted to illustrate a story, so she should hook up with one of them.
      That means we need one, and possibly two more artists. Let’s try to pair up some teams so that all these stories can be included in the anthology.

Kpei137

May have to take a back seat this time around, I haven’t done anything in regards to the 8 page or 1 page challenge as of late because school has taken most if not all of my brain power. If anything, I will submit for next year if/when we do this challenge again because now I know what my limitations are. I will be cheering everyone on though from the sidelines. If any artists want to hear what my story is about though I am willing to share that but right now I am going to bow out of both challenges until next year.

I asked @artsmermaid to be my artist

I also asked @philipspace he said he would see what he could do between now and the deadline.

Arielle Lupkin

Hey guys, So I know I said I would be interested in being someone’s artist. However, I think I might have a hard time juggling the flash challenge with another project I have. I cannot express how disappointed I am that I won’t be able to help all of you fantastic writers on this challenge. I will be cheering all of you from the sidelines.

Redheadeded

Well, we got some forward momentum that’s good.

@thesurrealari
      Thank you for staying on top of this. Please keep us informed of the process and due dates going forward!

@buddyscalera
      do we have a process in place for how the 8-page challenge is going to finish as well? 

I miss seeing you all, I hope we’ll talk soon!
      Erin, the Redheadeded.

A. A. Rubin

Here is my working draft. I am about 63 words over right now, and I would like to smooth out some of the imagery, but I think that while it is not finished, it is coming along well.

My focused feedback question is, what do you think of the present tense narration? Conventionally, a story like this would be told in past tense, but i place it in present to up the immediacy. Good decision, or meh?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TwUc2X3xfb0H4TnuebO_dz7l1M6lpMHAINvUf5nqGY0/edit?usp=sharing

@gdawkins2
      , have you confirmed your artist? Also, I really like your concept. You do have some room for expansion, and I’d love to see you either A. add some dialogue between the black knight and Sir Henryk, or B further develop the narrator’s voice. To me, the strongest section is when he describes his relationship with the horse. Seeing that, I was hoping you could add similar details elsewhere to develop your narrator’s character.

@redheadeded
      , I like how you build tension throughout, and how you set up tension in the end. I might consider starting the piece with some dialogue rather than a description of your character’s emotions? Rather than telling how he felt, can you show it through dialogue or action?

I hope everyone is on track for Monday. If not, please let me know so I can discuss options with Buddy. The comics are due on the 26th, but I set the deadline a few days before since someone will have to typeset the stories and layout the pages (unlike comics pages, which come lettered), but given the relative number of stories, we might be able to wriggle-out a few more days.

Thanks! Right now it looks like I’m depending on Philip.

A. A. Rubin

woohoo 527 words after my next pass.

A. A. Rubin

Just checking in to see where everyone is at. My story is done (same google link; posted upthread) Waiting on the final art form @MikeDoesTheArt

@gdawkins2
      did @philipspace come through for you?

@redheadeded
      How is your story progressing?

@BuddyScalera
      , are you doing a flash story?

Here’s what @philipspace was able to get done

Here is the final draft for my story. I added details similar to the ones for the horse to the sword also as suggested by @thesurrealari. Now that I have an illustration to go with my story is there anything else I need to do?

mikedoestheart
      Participant

Hey everyone — Apologies for the tardy update. I wanted to finish this today but the background detail took me way longer than i thought. I’m at about 60% but will be able to burn through it with another marathon session tomorrow (later today). @thesurrealari ‘s wizard battle will end up warping the background significantly, but that manipulation digitally will be easy once I’ve inked in the characters and their energy blast. 16 hours into it and my wrist is tapped out. I’ll give an update as soon as i’m back at it. Super excited for the final product!

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Skip to toolbar