DC comics open to other distributors

8-Page Challenge Forums News for People Who Make Comics DC comics open to other distributors

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Kpei137
      BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Strange coincidence to be sure. I remember when there were more distributors. Also, around the same time, Marvel bought Heroes World distribution. The distributor wars are probably about to heat up again.

But with bookstores closing, it’s hard to tell where we will get our monthly comics. If the new distributors can work out a deal with comic shops, it may mean that Diamond Comics will no longer have a near-monopoly on distribution in the US for monthly comics.

maryamsmarkers

So is this great news? I mean Diamond Comics needs competition. On the flip side what does that mean for the closing ComicBook shops? And the comicbook industry? Artist? Writers? Can we become distributors?

maryamsmarkers

@bluepen did you see this post. Any insight. I know… it’s from May but that’s why it’s valid!

Bluepen
        Participant

That’s what I heard that some bookstores are closing because of pandemic and also some businesses. Even myself got terminated, I was newly hired last March for Philippine Consulate General in NYC and because of the pandemic they cut off the budget for almost 50% in reason that they need reduce the employee. So now, I am one of the million US resident who lost their job because of the COVID-19 pandemic. That’s explain why some businesses are closing and that includes the bookstores too.

I can’t say anything about the bookstores but I am hoping that someday they’ll return or new distributor will rise and start selling. Though as for now online selling is in demand and some sellers use live streaming to sell their comics. I guess or maybe some bookstores will do the same to cut off their expenses.

Bluepen
      Participant

Hi!Maryam, am watching TV right now, am not sure but I think its you on TV?

philipspace
      Participant

This may be bad for Diamond, but I can’t imagine that it’s anything but good ultimately for consumers. I have a negative opinion about direct-market distribution though, in part because my community hasn’t had a dedicated “Comic Store” since the mid-90’s. I live about 70 miles from the nearest place that sells comic books, and there are areas more rural than mine. If Diamond had gone out of business entirely it wouldn’t have affected a substantial portion of potential buyers, if only because they don’t have a specialty store in their community to purchase from in the first place. Any discussion about declining sales in the comic industry should be framed in the light of distribution; the less people you put your product in front of, the lower your sales are going to be.

If anything, my hope is that this pushes publishers to find new ways to distribute books to the buying public (not just digitally), or possibly finding new formats for people to purchase stories in. My kids grew up reading either old Trade-paperbacks, or the “Spider-Man” anthology magazines carried at Wal-Mart, because those were the only comics available to them. Subsequently they haven’t grown up to be regular comic readers. I would like to see the next generation of children be able to grow up with access to stories aimed at their tastes specifically, not just time-capsules of stories from the 80’s or 90’s that Dad has on his bookshelf.

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Physical retail is already in a tricky situation, so it’s really hard to see the benefit of this epic distribution battle happening at this very moment.

It could represent interesting and unexpected opportunities for indie publishers, if they can get a greater share of shelf space for their titles. If there’s an open spot on the shelf, retailers may be willing to experiment with new comics.

maryamsmarkers

Hi @bluepen lol, that isn’t me. But thanks for the notice. What was the discussion about? I haven’t done any interviews since the pandemic. I actually just started going outside with the humans this past week. I will say, my body is so exhausted. who would have thought our normal lives were socialization? Lol

maryamsmarkers

In comicbook news, did you hear that Free Comicbook day is going to be Free Comicbook Summer! Free Comic Book Day 2020 to Take Place July 15 through September 9! Check out the website for more information. I’m not sure, but it maybe an additional outlet for us since a lot of the Comic Con’s have closed and cancelled. Thoughts? @kpei137

https://www.freecomicbookday.com/

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

That’s actually a great idea. They are going to give a few comics away each week to keep people coming to the store. That’s kind of genius. No crowds and a steady stream of shoppers.

https://www.freecomicbookday.com/Article/243418-Free-Comic-Book-Day-2020-to-Take-Place-July-15-through-September-9

Nice find @maryamsmark

maryamsmarkers

Has anyone else heard of “ChilledCow” on Youtube. It’s a live stream or two, an animation of a girl diarying, and listening to “chilled” tunes. As calming as the tunes are, it’s so interesting to see this. The illustrations and background design is so detailed, and realistic too. I love how her earphones have eyes that suddly move. Anyway, as creative energetic people, I thought to share this and maybe some of us can give this style a try or just listen to it while we work on our comicbooks.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Skip to toolbar