CREATORS: Charity Design Work for NJ Non Profit

8-Page Challenge Forums Main Forum CREATORS: Charity Design Work for NJ Non Profit

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Fellow creators,

A local charity is looking for help developing a team of superhero characters for their organization. They would like to develop superhero personas for their 6 leadership members.

Would some of you like to volunteer your talents to create characters, design costumes, and give them something special?

ORGANIZATION: “Passaic County Pandemic Partnership” (PCPP).
      The non-profit coalition consists of:

– Boys and Girls Club of Paterson and Passaic
      – CUMAC, Oasis – A Haven for Women and Children
      – Passaic County CASA
      – Paterson Habitat for Humanity
      – Star of Hope Ministries

The partnership has been established to ensure that families in need continue to have uninterrupted access to crucial services while minimizing community spread of COVID-19. The PCPP’s main focus is home delivery of meals, groceries, and services for the elderly, homebound residents, those involved with the Division of Child Protection and Permanency, as well as food insecure patients due for discharge from St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center.

They would like something that resembles a cover to the X-Men, if someone works in that style. Respond in the thread with your questions and comments.

I am always willing to help Charity if they need a writer let me know

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Sounds good. I think they will need to think through the characters, @writtensinsnetwork. Can you tag a few of our artists here to see if they may want to participate?

Hey, @maryamsmark. This is the kind of conversation we want more people to participate in, so they can take advantage of opportunities to build their portfolios.

maryamsmarkers

This seems like a really great project. @gdawkins2 Check out this Charity character Design opportunity. We need a few more details…what do you think George?

@buddyscalera @maryamsmark I’d like to know more about the 6 leadership members. That way it’ll be easier for me to develop personas for them. Are any of the non-profit coalition members the leadership members?

maryamsmarkers

That’s a really great question @gdawkins2 –I’m not sure. That is very relevant for the character persona. There is a coalition group listed, each are different organizations but how would those groups fit as a character? I wonder if each “character” has a different special power to help those in need… In X-Men they all had a mutated power used for good while working with Professor X. Maybe the coalition is the locations where the “hero’s life” fighting poverty! @jarrodelvin did you see this project post? YOu have made some really great illustrations. @mikedoestheart -I really enjoyed looking at your post on “Alexander” – what do you think about this?

maryamsmarkers

Buddy, would the writers and artists have creative freedom to making up the 6 character personas together? @buddyscalera

mikedoestheart
      Participant

Apologies for being late to this post and thank you kindly for thinking of me, @maryamsmarkers ! I think you guys have already honed in on creating the superhero team based on each coalition’s strengths – there’s certainly potential for something fun and dynamic using that approach(i.e. making the Habitat for Humanity hero a cross between “Bob The Builder” and that Fantastic 4’s The Thing). Something that may seem static such as a scene with a parked tractor trailer & the heros giving out provisions to the community can be made into an action scene pretty easily.

I’d be interested in helping out any way I can, be it character design, layout, illo, inking… I’m here for it! I wouldn’t necessarily say I draw in a super-traditional american comic book style, but I’m confident in being able to give them something really special.

Jarrod Elvin
      Participant

Sounds good! Is there any more information to get a better idea of what they are looking for for each character? Unless I’m missing something, it looks like all we have to go on is the names of the coalitions (-Please correct me if I’m wrong) – Even if that’s the case, it shouldn’t be too hard to design some generic-looking superheroes for each part
      Thanks for thinking of me too @maryamsmarkers, no I didn’t see this post. I’d be happy to contribute!
      Would it be something that we could all collaborate on (like different people have different jobs like design, pencilling, inking, coloring, etc)? -Or is it a call-out for a one-person job?
      Is there a time-frame on it?

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Great response, thanks everyone!

They would like to have some a classic X-Men style cover. Any team book would be great, but they did note that they liked the classic Jim Lee X-Men cover art.

I would imagine that they need a character turnaround for each character as well. The person didn’t say specifically that they would need this, but as pros, we know how important this can be.

This probably can (and should) be a team effort. They are looking for traditional comic art in the Marvel/DC superhero style. If there’s someone in our community that can draw like that, we should start there.

As @writtensinsnetwork noted, we probably need a writer to help with character creation. We’re not quite there yet, but we will need someone.

Again, thanks for the response. It’s nice to work together for a chartible cause, especially at a time like this.

Just tagging people so they know what we that the conversation continues: @mikedoestheart, @jarrodelvin, @maryamsmark, @gdawkins2, @shorterg, @artsmermaid. Check the box “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” to keep up with this thread.

Kris Burgos
      Participant

If it gets to the phase where you need a writer to assist in the creation, I’m definitely putting my name in the hat!

I’m a writer putting my name in the hat as well

So far I’m thinking that the character for Oasis should be a woman and that the character for the Boys and Girls Club should be a child or at least the youngest member of the team. From what I’ve seen about Habitat for Humanity, they focus on building so the character for it could reflect that (perhaps as a man with super strength?). Star of Hope Ministries could have a religious-themed character maybe similar to the DC character Azrael. These are just some things to consider.

philipspace
      Participant

I couldn’t resist.
      This is more for a pin-up, am I correct?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by philipspace.
      Attachments:
      maryamsmarkers

I love Habitat-Man! What’s his super power or “mutation?” I’m loving this! Great job @philipspace

maryamsmarkers

I love Habitat-Man! What’s his super power or “mutation?” I’m loving this! Great job @philipspace

philipspace
      Participant

I was thinking along @mikedoestheart ‘s suggestion of a conventional “power-house” type of character (puns; gotta love ’em).

Something that may seem static such as a scene with a parked tractor trailer & the heroes giving out provisions to the community can be made into an action scene pretty easily.<

Agreed! There’s a lot of potential for dynamism there.
      In hindsight (since I scribbled this out in about 15 minutes) I think Habitat should have a tool-belt with a claw-hammer or something similar. As has been mentioned, something that fits with the missions of the individual entities, with a bold mock logo across the top and even the box for the UPC code at the lower left I think would be awesome.

I imagine the Boys and Girls club should be represented by a ‘Wonder-twins’ type duo. Anyone want to take on the design for that?

BuddyScalera
      Keymaster

Thanks for your help on this. We were able to help the charity from two people in our community. We’ll update you when we have more info.

Jarrod Elvin
      Participant

Hi everyone, I’ll be away for a week, but I hope to get involved in this when I get back. I look forward to hearing more info.

Jarrod Elvin
      Participant

Hi everyone,
      I’m back home now and I’ve done up a few character sketches. I incorporated the ideas that have been mentioned, and I did a quick Google search and incorporated the logos from the various organisations.
      I haven’t written any stories for them, or given them names, or determined their super powers or anything other than what is evident in the sketches. (-CASA reminded me of NASA, so I made that character like an Astronaut, with a fair bit of design influence from Jim Lee’s Cyclops.)
      These are all just quick concepts that I wanted to contribute to keep the ball rolling, so there is certainly room for development!

@philipspace
      has provided a concept for Habitat-Man (who is great!) but who is the 6th character? -In the list at the top there are only 5 organisations (Unless you include PCPP, which I figured was the name of the group and not a character in itself)
      Hope you like!

maryamsmarkers

These are great. Any updates on this project from the boys and girls club? @buddyscalera

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.
Skip to toolbar